Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gas stove for heating and water?

• 20-08-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a gas stove that will
    do the central heating and hot water aswell??
    sorry if a stupid question but my head is spinning with all the options.
    not sure how to comply to regs on our new build, as roof not suitable
    for solar, and not sure heatpump is within budget.
    any info much appreciated

rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RVR

AFAIK a gas stove isn't considered a renewable source?

You need to achieve 10kWh per m2 floor area per year from a renewable source (solar / heat pump / biomass / biomass stove) or 4kWh of electrical energy from PV, wind, etc

E.g. 100m2 house needs either 1000kWh of renewable heating or 400kWh of electrical energy generated on-site each year.

Do you have an architect or someone else involved in your project that could advise? Unfortuantely a DEAP assessment of your build is the only way to calculate if any particular option will comply with the regs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 kevymoss

Why not install a small wood pellet fire in your sitting room, or a log buner. This will supplement your current heating option

PM me for details

THanks
    kev

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Im going to hook my wind turbine up to my washing line so when the wind blows my washing line spins around like the be-jasus and dries the clothes ,that`l get rid of the tumble drier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

To the best of knowledge there are no gas stoves available that heat water as well, Baxi did have a fire inset however I have not seen one in Ireland since the mid 80's.

As pointed out by RVR gas is not classed as renewable energy.

As Kevymoss pointed out wood pellet is classed as renewable however before buying a wood pellet stove / boiler I recommend that you ensure your supplier has an "in house" full after sales service and the the spare parts in stock.

Have you looked at mounting solar on he ground ? Tubes & Panels do not need to roof mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

This is not meant as a joke and I'm watching this thread with great interest but Im thinking of learning to knit, I recon we'll all be back in the "Big Wooly Jumpers" before too long and sure wouldent it be cheaper than all this solar,wind,pellet nonsense ,I have already purchased the magnets for a home-build wind generator but I'm kinda having second thoughts!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

why not go for a high efficency gas/oil boiler with a S or Y plan system, this means the boiler wont fire unless there's a demand for heat so there a stat on your hot water cylinder and a room stat in the space heating area. so if these are satisfied the boiler wont fire. reducing gas usage and CO2 output. and maybe go for a wood pellet fire in the living/sitting room?

puffdragon wrote: »
    This is not meant as a joke and I'm watching this thread with great interest but Im thinking of learning to knit, I recon we'll all be back in the "Big Wooly Jumpers" before too long and sure wouldent it be cheaper than all this solar,wind,pellet nonsense ,I have already purchased the magnets for a home-build wind generator but I'm kinda having second thoughts!!

Yes, dropping the thermostat a couple of degrees and wearing a jumper could save a fortune!

Simply because the number of days the heating doesn't come on will increase significantly, the initial firing up of any boiler uses a huge amount of energy before it even starts to heat the house.

BUt first of all, Insulation, Insulation, Insulation.

Advertisement