Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going out in Limerick City

Options
  • 20-08-2009 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi there,

anyone recommend some good pubs for going out in Limerick city, heading there this sat night.....

anywhere with good live cover bands?

thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You should post this in the "Limerick City" forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=476

You'll only get smart arse answers about knife crime and being punched by Defense Ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from AHs.:)
    Might get some replies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I don't know much about Limerick to be honest. But you could try here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Smyths,Flannerys i think aswell?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dolans often do cover bands. Nice spot IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Trinity Rooms is the only half-decent club, the rest are kips. Go there if you want a club.

Molly's is a club-pub, in that its allowed stay open until half 2, and there's a few dance floors and stuff. It's a good laugh and round the corner from Kebabish, McDonalds and Burger King when things draw to a close. The music isn't so loud as to stop a conversation, should you want one, which is the reason I find it attractive if my friends force me out clubbing. The staff are nice enough in there too, unlike...well...anywhere else in Limerick, really.

Hurler's is full of underage kids, is outside of town, is a complete rip off, but occasionally has some good Irish music on and the like. There's also two off license's around the corner from it, and, well, some of the cheap stuff could accidentally find its way into your pocket...

Dolans is a good laugh, actually. http://www.dolans.ie , they will have a live band (or two) on Saturday and it should be fairly lively.

Synott's, outside the city is good if you're old.

Smyth's if you're still-young-but-don't-want-to-be-hanging-out-with-people-just-finished-their-Leaving-Cert.

Haven't been to Flannery's (well...maybe when I was drunk some time) so can't comment.

Limerick is a good city to go out in once or twice. It gets insanely boring after that though, so enjoy your night ! Don't walk down any blind alleyways. There will be scobes, and they will rob you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Jeebus wrote: »
    Trinity Rooms is the only half-decent club, the rest are kips. Go there if you want a club.

Molly's is a club-pub, in that its allowed stay open until half 2, and there's a few dance floors and stuff. It's a good laugh and round the corner from Kebabish, McDonalds and Burger King when things draw to a close. The music isn't so loud as to stop a conversation, should you want one, which is the reason I find it attractive if my friends force me out clubbing. The staff are nice enough in there too, unlike...well...anywhere else in Limerick, really.

Hurler's is full of underage kids, is outside of town, is a complete rip off, but occasionally has some good Irish music on and the like. There's also two off license's around the corner from it, and, well, some of the cheap stuff could accidentally find its way into your pocket...

Dolans is a good laugh, actually. http://www.dolans.ie , they will have a live band (or two) on Saturday and it should be fairly lively.

Synott's, outside the city is good if you're old.

Smyth's if you're still-young-but-don't-want-to-be-hanging-out-with-people-just-finished-their-Leaving-Cert.

Haven't been to Flannery's (well...maybe when I was drunk some time) so can't comment.

Limerick is a good city to go out in once or twice. It gets insanely boring after that though, so enjoy your night ! Don't walk down any blind alleyways. There will be scobes, and they will rob you.

What?Are you 17 or something

OP,if you want somewhere there will be a half decent cover band and will be relatively close to other pubs,go to Smyths.

Id personally recommend Dolans,Bakers Place or Costelloes but theyre not to everyones taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

ages 18 - 21(ish)
    pubs:
    Mollys,
    Charlies,
    Bitter End(Cheap drink but a dump).

Club - Trinity Rooms(Think Japanese popstars are there this wkend)

ages 22 - 35
    pubs:
    Nancy Blakes,
    Smyths(Good bands in here),
    Flannerys

Club - Icon/Angel Lane/Costellos(Grungy place-good laugh but its a dump!)

ages 35+
    pubs:
    anywhere except the first three

clubs:Icon or SinBin

Im 22 and personally I go to a mix of Nancys, Smyths, Mollys, Trinity Rooms(Always get a laugh there). The odd time i go to Icon or Angel Lane. But I hate Icon on saturdays cuz of the crap music downstairs!(which is where I get dragged to, think Journey, Bryan Adams, that crap..)

Dolans is way too far out for my liking. Would go to see the odd band but rarely as a lot of scobes go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Jeebus wrote: »
    Trinity Rooms is the only half-decent club, just a pity its full of stuck-up turds.

Molly's is a club-pub, that's full of kiddies.
    Fixed that for you ;)

OP, stay in Flannerys on Denmark St if you want a decent pub. Smyths is good too if you like it LOUD! Stay away from Trinity Rooms, its full of posers and the music is shocking in there. Bouncers are w*ankers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

yupyup7up wrote: »

Dolans is way too far out for my liking. Would go to see the odd band but rarely as a lot of scobes go there!

Have never seen scobes in Dolans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

grenache wrote: »
    Fixed that for you ;)

OP, stay in Flannerys on Denmark St if you want a decent pub. Smyths is good too if you like it LOUD! Stay away from Trinity Rooms, its full of posers and the music is shocking in there. Bouncers are w*ankers too.

OP,The music in Trinity rooms may not be to some peoples tastes, as they like just chart, or one genre, but;
    Theres 3 areas, with different music in each, a hip hop room, a funkier courtyard and bar vibe, and a main room with decent DJs. This weekend its "Japanese Popstars" AFAIK.

If you're looking for a covers band, Smyths is usually your best bet. If you get bored of there, stroll across the road to Nancys, it'll seem overcrowded at first, but theres something strangely attractive about the place.

Hope you've a good weekend, let us knwo how u get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unlikely you will find live music in any of the big bars like Smyths on a Saturday night. Most just have a DJ spining/mixing tunes on Saturday nights.

I'd say Dolan's is probably the best bet on a Saturday night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

First time I've ever seen Smyths described as good, some people must have very low standards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

i would reccomend smyths usually have a good band on there on. then onto the icon the nightclub adjoined to it. Imo the best place to go out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

Peadar87 wrote: »
    i would reccomend smyths usually have a good band on there on. then onto the icon the nightclub adjoined to it. Imo the best place to go out. :D

Sorry just saw it was saturday night
    Not too sure bout saturday im usually in there on a thursday night i suppose if want live bands go to dolans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

CYPRUSBABY wrote: »
    hi there,

anyone recommend some good pubs for going out in Limerick city, heading there this sat night.....

if you want to see a live band head to smyths, all the pubs and clubs are in that area of the city, icon night club is next door and angel lane is opposite the road..over 21s which is the newest club in town, i plan on heading to one of these places on saturday too;)

icon website http://www.iconniteclub.com/

trinity rooms website http://www.trinityrooms.ie/

angel lane website http://www.angellane.ie/top.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

CYPRUSBABY wrote: »
    hi there,

I'm not sure if anywhere has live bands on a Sat night apart from Dolans. Go to www.dolanspub.com to see who is playing.

The main pub/club area is at the top of Denmark St where you have the Cuckoo box pub, Nancy Blakes, Smyths, Flannery's, Icon nightclub, Angel Lane nightclub.

Trinity rooms was the subject of a front page article on the Sunday World a few weeks back, enough said..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Trinity rooms was the subject of a front page article on the Sunday World a few weeks back, enough said..

Unfair report if you ask me, if you go out looking for drugs you will find them, that be in a nightclub in the city, or pub in a village!

Why they pick Limerick as well why not Cork/Galway Sunday World don't like Limerick!

If I was OP I would be very confused, one person says something then the other says the opposite head out go to places that you like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Get a full view of Limerick stroll out to the curraghgower bar for a pint or two and sit out and watch the river flow by.

Then into Mickey Martins for a pint or two of decent guinness. Great crowd usually good music.

Then up to Charlies to see how badly drunk underagers can get good cocktails though:)

Down then to Nancy's as Zuroph said something strangly attractive bout it

Live music you want over to smyths then icon as its convenient or feel like a walk down to Trinity Rooms to the courtyard and go through their foriegn beer menu.

Most importantly finish in Turkuaz kebab shop

Or do what you like either way enjoy :D

MrFireBox wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anywhere has live bands on a Sat night apart from Dolans. Go to www.dolanspub.com to see who is playing.

The main pub/club area is at the top of Denmark St where you have the Cuckoo box pub, Nancy Blakes, Smyths, Flannery's, Icon nightclub, Angel Lane nightclub.

That article was total bullsh1t, and a disgraceful cash in on the Brian Fitz story. Really angered me that some gutter journalist stooped to that level, having known Brian. Sunday world can go f&ck itself as far as Im concerned, theres serious questions to be asked about where the story came from, and everyone who goes to the club knows this. bunch of lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

zuroph wrote: »
    That article was total bullsh1t, and a disgraceful cash in on the Brian Fitz story. Really angered me that some gutter journalist stooped to that level, having known Brian. Sunday world can go f&ck itself as far as Im concerned, theres serious questions to be asked about where the story came from, and everyone who goes to the club knows this. bunch of lies.

Wasn't is Docs at the time anyway?

Roadend wrote: »
    Wasn't is Docs at the time anyway?
    yip, but they dragged Brians name into the article effectively saying that the club was openly allowing the sale of drugs, even though Brian had died protecting it from that, and that it was disrespectful to his memory. I used to work there when it was Docs, and often dropped Brian home, for some lazy journalist scum to make this rubbish up really angers me, real lazy bullsh1t. Sunday world are cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to restate, Smyths do not have a live band on a Saturday night unless it is a bank holiday weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

So they didn't buy the drugs there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I didnt see the artical but as it was in the Sunday World I'm sure I didn't miss much.

People can buy drugs wherever they are on sale and this can include nightcllubs, anywhere. Brian Fitz paid the ultimate price for trying to stop this from happening.
    Gonna try and find the artical now to see what tripe was written, its seems apparent from post here that he was painted ina bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I personally have never seen drugs traded in any establishment in Limerick City; however I can say with a fair certainty that it happens in all of them. It's a matter of finding what you want to find.

I doubt they were even there TBH,

no dealer is gonna sell you a giant bag of pills in a club, they've got to know something is up if you're buying in that quantity. T rooms has a very strict drug policy, I've seen people thrown out after being caught trying to do a sneaky line. The article said something about a polish person in the jacks not caring when groups went into cubicles. this is rubbish, there is security in every toilets in the place to make sure the one person to a cubicle rule is strictly enforced.

I doubt they were even there TBH,

no dealer is gonna sell you a giant bag of pills in a club, they've got to know something is up if you're buying in that quantity. T rooms has a very strict drug policy, I've seen people thrown out after being caught trying to do a sneaky line. The article said something about a polish person in the jacks not caring when groups went into cubicles. this is rubbish, there is security in every toilets in the place to make sure the one person to a cubicle rule is strictly enforced.
    Come to think of it I remember a bouncer kicking 2 18 year olds out of the jacks for having quite obvious sex in a cubicle, and that was wehn there was only about 30 people in the whole club.

Plus the Gardaí released a statement that they found the whole thing to be unfounded.

Sloppy journalism at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

ninty9er wrote: »
    Come to think of it I remember a bouncer kicking 2 18 year olds out of the jacks for having quite obvious sex in a cubicle, and that was wehn there was only about 30 people in the whole club.

Plus the Gardaí released a statement that they found the whole thing to be unfounded.

Sloppy journalism at its worst.

what square ratted on some bloke getting his end away in a jacks? :mad:

• Advertisement

what square ratted on some bloke getting his end away in a jacks? :mad:
    I don't know that anyone did. Just saw a bouncer remove a guy and girl from the Gents. Barman told one of the lads the story a few mins later.

Advertisement