Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Complicated one, I think

Options
  • 20-08-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I'll start the story in the beginning ha ha
    My grandad bought a shotgun.
    When he passed away about 30 years ago the gun was left in his house along with my gran and his son, (my uncle).
    Now I'm not sure if he ever had a license for the shotgun, he probably did, I'm sure if he didnt the authorities would have taken it off him.
    The gran passed away in the late 80's, and the uncle was left in the house.
    No he had some trouble in the late 80's early nineties which I wont go into, but involved the misuse of the firearm. I dont want to give details, but it was a very very minor thing, and there was no serious hassle with the authorities afterwards, apart from him having to keep his nose clean for two years I think, and the grandads shotgun was confiscated from him.
    Now I was thinkin about gettin a shotgun, and when I mentioned it to the mother, (when getting her to sign a permission letter to shoot her land), she said to me, "oh the gardai in xxxxxx have my dads shotgun for years, maybe you'd be able to get it back from them?"
    None of the other grandchildren are interested in it.
    I wonder what I would have to do to sort out a free shotgun for myself. If its still there and hasnt been destroyed
    I spose a chat with the gardai in xxxxxx would be the first step?
    Thanks for any help lads

A Country Voice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Id say it would have been destroyed by now. The uncle would probably know. Im not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

They can be destroyed within three months of being seized, but notification of their destruction must be sent to the owner.

Section 8 of the 1964 act (replaced section 6 of the 1925 act).

A lot of the time, the firearms were effectively dumped with a local dealer and never destroyed. It's definitely worth looking into, but the chances are after such a long time that it's been destroyed.

Your family should be the first point of info and the Gardai second.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

thanks for the help guys, I'll have a chat with the uncle if I meet him any time soon, or the local guard that I know, whos now actually posted in that same station. I get on well with them so they might be able to make an enquiry for me on the qt.
    Thanks again
    A Country Voice

Advertisement