Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 24MB broadband

• 20-08-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Having recently upgraded my broadband from 3MB with UTV to the 24MB service from BT, I was looking forward to my new high speed internet connection. After a delay of over a month in the delivery of the order, it was finally delivered last week, ran some ISP speed tests and was getting download speed of 2.48Mb\s. I rang to complain and after some test I was told that fastest speed I can get is 3MB.
    So why offer this service, where I live is on their list for places where 24MB can be recieved.
    There answer to me is that a service of up to 24Mb can be achieved in my area, but that does not guartnee this speed, whilst I did not expect a speed to 24MB, 3MB is a long way off this.
    PLEASE BEWARE EVERYONE......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

2.48MB/s is an excellent speed for up to 24MB. Try start downloading a file from http://ftp.esat.net and after a minute, note the transfer rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

jgburke wrote: »
    Having recently upgraded my broadband from 3MB with UTV to the 24MB service from BT, I was looking forward to my new high speed internet connection. After a delay of over a month in the delivery of the order, it was finally delivered last week, ran some ISP speed tests and was getting download speed of 2.48Mb\s. I rang to complain and after some test I was told that fastest speed I can get is 3MB.
    So why offer this service, where I live is on their list for places where 24MB can be recieved.
    There answer to me is that a service of up to 24Mb can be achieved in my area, but that does not guartnee this speed, whilst I did not expect a speed to 24MB, 3MB is a long way off this.

Your getting full speed according to your post.

A megabyte is a unit that describes how many bytes are used to represent data. A byte represents one piece of data, usually one character. A byte is made of 8 bits, and a bit (binary digit) is the fundamental base unit of digital data, a 0 or 1. A byte is made of 8 bits, and a kilobyte (KB) is 1024 bytes. A megabyte (MB) is 1024 kilobytes, or 1048576 bytes. Bytes and megabytes describe the size of data.

These units are used in reference to file sizes or the storage capacities of devices and hard disk drives.

A "megabit" describes how fast data travels over a connection. A "megabit" is a short way to say "Megabits per second." It is similar to "bits per second," the number of bits that go through a connection in a second. Remember, a bit is one eighth of a byte. Kilobits per second describe how many thousands (exactly 1000) of bits go through in a second. Megabits per second tell how many millions (an even 1,000,000) travel in a second. These units describe the speed that data travels or the rate of data transfer.

Megabytes and Megabits per second describe two different things, and cannot be used interchangeably.

You can calculate how long a file of a given megabyte size will take to download at a given Megabits-per-second speed. Multiply megabytes by 1048576 (Kilobytes by 1024) to determine how many bytes of data you want. Multiply the number of bytes by 8 (8 bits make a byte) to find the number of bits in the file. Divide the number of bits by the bits per second rate (kilobits and megabits mean 1000 bits and 1 million bits respectively) to find how many seconds it will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

What are the line stats in your router saying? This will give you an idea as to whether you are synching at anywhere near the 24Mb/sec or if your line is only capable of 3Mb/sec as BT support have stated - in which case you may as well downgrade your package to the standard 3Mb and save money!

What are the line stats in your router saying? This will give you an idea as to whether you are synching at anywhere near the 24Mb/sec or if your line is only capable of 3Mb/sec as BT support have stated - in which case you may as well downgrade your package to the standard 3Mb and save money!

I don't think the original poster understands the difference between a megabit and a megabyte.

2.4MB per second would be very good for a 24 megabit line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Fail post is fail.

• Advertisement

Original poster click on this link and when your test is done hit copy on it and post your result back here.544529514.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jgburke

544653468.png

As you can from the speedtest above this speed from a 24MB connection. The reason for writing the post was to show that if I had not questioned I would believe I was been given a 24MB connection pay for this and I doubt BT would ring to tell by the way you may have signed up for 24MB but we can't give it to you so here is a REFUND.

544653468.png

That is 2.33Mb per second not MB as you first post said.

Your right that connection is rubbish.

Lots of people confuse MB with Mb but that is clearly not the case here.

Your only getting 10% of the speed you were lead to believe.

Your ping time is very high also you would struggle with online games.

544653468.png

Ok that is BT 24meg here is UPC 10meg.544736959.png

Maybe you should give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's just below average abaility of a DSL line. In reality maybe< 15% of people, maybe even < 10% can get better than 20Mbps.

The physics of distance.

Digiweb Metro 8Mbps/1Mbps package. (Wireless, no line rental).
    544726187.png

UPC Cable is improving too, also no line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

545085289.png

What's average for DSL? I'm also supposed to be on BT 24MB - got a letter recently to say we'd been upgraded for free. Haven't noticed any change in speed tbh. Think the whole thing is a marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Having recently upgraded my broadband from 3MB with UTV to the 24MB service from BT, I was looking forward to my new high speed internet connection.

Sounds to me like it was you who failed to realise that up to 24mb BB is exactly the same thing as BB that can be anywhere between 2mb and 24mb, and what you get is down to luck.

Hi Greyfox,

I think BT are misleading people, when I check my phone number on their system, it tells me congratulations you are in an area that can recieve 24MB, I based my decision to move carrier on this, I never expected to get 24MB but I did expect to at the 2MB speed which was lower than my orginal provider.
    The public are been mugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Also for BT don't you have a download limit of some sort..in the region of 36 GB per month? even if you had a near 24mb connection speed you wouldn't be able to do that much to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

speedfreak wrote: »
    What's average for DSL? I'm also supposed to be on BT 24MB - got a letter recently to say we'd been upgraded for free. Haven't noticed any change in speed tbh. Think the whole thing is a marketing ploy.

In Ireland the average line length would be equivalent to 3Mbps. This does not mean the majority are limited to 3Mbps ... It's a wide distribution curve with 5% to 10% at 24Mbps (short wire, good quality) and maybe 10% at 0.5Mbps (long line or poor wires). The majority of people are on 1Mbps, though no doubt many of those lines support higher speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 borgbob

I also have been battling with BT since I switched from Eircom. Apparently you have to ask Tech support to contact exchange to switch you to high speed. I have done that three days ago and still running at the speed I signed up for after the 24 Mb trial expires, which is 7 Mb, here is the result, still pretty good although I DO WANT my 24 megs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm near an exchange and this is what I'm getting right now. It would be higher, but I had my profle changed up and down back when there were all those problems caused by Eircom upgrades or whatever. Its currently set at 20Mb and its been rock solid for ages. It just shows that those speeds are attainable.

562734709.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GauchoMarx

damn, your line is perfect, hitting the 7Mbit like a charm... I am supposed to be on 7Mbit too, 900 meters away from the exchange according to the tech but what I get won't even support a mid-quality video stream :(

562742941.png

going to call vodafone next week to arrange the prompt switch... can't get any worse

Yep those speeds are indeed obtainable. After many emails back and forth with BT, (during which they were giving all the templates about how I am on xx ratio and that my bundle #3 means that I can get anywhere between 1Mb & 24 Mb), I get an email from them this morning that they have switched me to 18Mb connection. Not there yet, but fluctuating between 13/15 Mb.... you just have to stay persistent.

One of last lines I have given them before I got higher speed was: "Thanks and looking forward to you and BT accommodating me in regards to the deal I have signed up for, otherwise I see this as misleading advertising and will be treated as such."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Does anyone now if BT are still offering 24mb broadband? Since Vodafone bought them over i cannot find any information about it online.

The offer is no longer available online since the Vodafone merger, but you could try giving them a ring.

borgbob wrote: »
    The offer is no longer available online since the Vodafone merger, but you could try giving them a ring.

Can someone please clarify what vodafone is now? they own vodafone, perlico, bt ireland and who else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

hi is this the bt bitchfest thread

can I join in

572188118.png

daithimac wrote: »
    hi is this the bt bitchfest thread

can I join in

572188118.png

ok why such slow speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was on a 2 or 3Mb BT BB service when my exchange was upgraded but I had to ask for the higher speed, here is what they told me..

> You are currently connected to Bitstream Option 2 which is an up to 3Mb
    > product.
    > If you would like to connect to LLU Option 2 which is up to 6Mb you will
    > need to call customer care and request an upgrade.

So give them a bell, have your customer number at the ready and see if you are still on the Bitstream Option 2 in which case ask for the upgrade, I was down for about 3/4 of a day but when it came back I got the faster speed, that was an upgrade to 6Mb. They subsequently wrote me a letter telling me that I'd been upgraded to 24 Mb though www.speedtest.net has never shown greater than 11Mb/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

572878979.png

O2 mobile broadband, HSPA, showing 4 bars, -87dBm, currently in Buncrana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    ok why such slow speeds?

I have no Idea to be honest, We started off with 24 MB Conncetion which once got up to 17MB on speedtest but usually would trundel along around 7MB, when I called they said that I was hooked up to the wrong exchange and the most they could provide me with would be 3MB. I moved down to that (there still billing me for 24MB connection though) and now I'm at 0.1 MB and praying that Smart comes out of examinership soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

This seems to be spreading...

On BT unbundled. Signed up for 8Mb as that's all the line could handle.
    Modem used to sync around 8000Kb, now syncs around 6000Kb...

573092712.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Also for BT don't you have a download limit of some sort..in the region of 36 GB per month? even if you had a near 24mb connection speed you wouldn't be able to do that much to be honest.

ah come on now. 36gb in a month.....
    thats nothing compared to what some people download. granted the average home user who surf's, email and the odd xbox wouldn't do it, but a LOT of people download large files.
    on several months i got a letter from my isp saying ive exceeded 500gb and to slow down.

Advertisement