Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 24MB broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I have 7.6MB with BT and for near a week now I'm getting speeds of round 1MB to just under 3MB. Before this for months I was getting speeds of 6 - 6.7MB no problem.

573135367.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

ah come on now. 36gb in a month.....
    thats nothing compared to what some people download. granted the average home user who surf's, email and the odd xbox wouldn't do it, but a LOT of people download large files.
    on several months i got a letter from my isp saying ive exceeded 500gb and to slow down.

What ISP are you with? as far as i know if you go over the 36gb limit for BT they charge you extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

BT don't charge you because their billing system is so crap that they manually have to enter you going over the limit and hence no real charge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

TheDriver wrote: »
    BT don't charge you because their billing system is so crap that they manually have to enter you going over the limit and hence no real charge!!

Is this really the case with BT?-a huge loss of profit on their part

Will this still be the case now that BT are owned by Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I see there's still no real clarification on the BT LLU customer migration.

From what I can tell of the Vodafone FAQs there are going to be no speed downgrades for customers. But Vodafone have no products in place that use LLU at the moment. I signed a contract with BT at the end of August on the basis that I'd be getting an internet speed far above the meagre 7.6 mbps that eircom and co. could provide. At a certain cost.

So far, apart from their "Vodafone are taking over BT's general customer business" letter, I've heard nothing. I've been charged for the bill but I haven't received any sort of bill from them about it (in contravention with direct debit scheme). I'm going to call them about it. But the lack of clarity over the LLU bundles at this stage, well it's a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've been charged for the bill but I haven't received any sort of bill from them about it (in contravention with direct debit scheme).

Sorry to say this, but you are dealing with BT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 borgbob

[Hoping to get this post brought back to life now that BT is officially Vodafone].

Has anyone seen any improvements since the switch, (albeit its probably only business and not technological switch)?

One thing is still certain, once a day, they reset our modems thus dropping the so called 'always on' connection. Has anyone found a remedy for this? I have seen it mentioned on UK forums that so called 'IP reset' once every 24 hours by BT is preformed on global bases and that you could reset your BT modem sometimes around middle of the night, say 04:00 and from that point it will automatically reset only at that time..... haven't tried it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If I reset it at 4am, it will work until 4am the next day. Then it will remain disconnected until I manually connect it or restart the router later that day, say at 11am. Then it will work up until that time the next day and will not work until I restart it even later in the day.

So restarting it at an unused time doesn't avoid any disruption unless you repeatedly restart it at 4am. A mains socket timer with half an hour off every day could achieve this.

The only way I found that stopped the PPPoE issues was to use a spare router for wireless and PPPoE while I used the Voyager modem as a simple modem which passed on the IP and authentication stuff to the second router. In other words, I used the Voyager router exclusively as a modem in bridged mode and used another router to connect to the internet and provide wifi.

Advertisement