Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin in discussions to meet at UFC 106 in Las Vegas

Options
  • 20-08-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Shane Carwin's (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) path to a UFC title shot will apparently not go through fellow top contender Cain Velasquez.

Though it was previously rumored that Carwin would meet Velasquez at the co-main event of UFC 104, MMAjunkie.com has been able to confirm that the undefeated heavyweight is currently in negotiations to face current heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at UFC 106 in November.

News of the potential bout first surfaced Wednesday night in a Twitter message from Minnesota MMA, and MMAMadness.com also issued a report citing sources close to the event.

While both fighters have apparently agreed to the contest, bout agreements have yet to be issued.

If the bout is finalized, the match would be Lesnar's first title defense after unifying the UFC's heavyweight title with a UFC 100 win over then-interim champ Frank Mir.

The 34-year-old Carwin has registered three-straight impressive wins in the UFC, scoring first-round wins over Gabriel Gonzaga, Neil Wain and Christian Wellisch. Carwin has registered first-round stoppage win in all 11 of his career bouts.

Velasquez will still compete on the UFC 104 card Oct. 24 in Los Angeles according to a report from AOL FanHouse. A new opponent has not yet been named.

UFC 106 is scheduled to take place Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Lesnar will make mincemeat out of Carwin.

The only half decent fighter Carwin has fought, Gonzaga, was only defeated by the luckiest sucker punch after Gonzaga was all over him.

UFC heavyweight is a joke right now - If Carwin is no1 contender.
    Hopefully Nog will own Couture and Cro Cop will find some form. Then maybe we might see Lesnar tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Auld Dave Meltzer this about the rational for the fight:
    Lesnar looks to be fighting Nov. 21
    Dave@wrestlingobserver.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin for the UFC heavyweight title is at least on the boards right now as the main event for the UFC 106 show on 11/21 in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

The show is also expected to include Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman in Ortiz's return to the promotion.

The Lesnar vs. Carwin (11-0, all early first round stoppages) battle of former national collegiate wrestling champions has not been announced by UFC, but Lesnar's camp mentioned it last night on Twitter, and we've been able to confirm serious negotiations in that direction.

Cain Velasquez, who was scheduled to face Carwin on 10/24 in Los Angeles, was told that he would be getting a new opponent on that date with Carwin being moved to the next show to face Lesnar.

The change is to get another major Lesnar match in as quick as possible to kick off a November through February period of big shows.

Carwin has been the most vocal of the heavyweight contenders of Lesnar's behavior. Randy Couture, who would be the biggest draw of the potential contenders provided he scores a strong win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on 8/29, would be pushing it to be ready by that date. This would leave the Couture-Nogueira winner along with a Junior Dos Santos vs. Mirko Cro Cop winner and Velasquez, provided he wins his fight on 10/24, all as potential contenders for early 2010.

It was my understanding that Brock was going to take a break until February. I wonder what they are setting up for the fight after next?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I think the logic behind this decision is that the UFC didn't want the two potential challengers to Lesnar i.e. Carwin and Velasquez going to fight each other and diluting ones stock value as potential title fight with Lesnar.
    So it made sense to pit them one at a time for Lesnar. Also, IMO Cain is the one with the greatest potential and feeding him to Lesnar know would be bad business especially when they are trying to tap the Mexican market. Remember golden boy Huerta is virtually gone if he loses to Maynard and they are the only two poster boys for the Mexican audience really as Escudero hasn't really fought yet.
    Carwin is in his 30's and has similar physique to Brock i.e plus 265lb on fight night so that is why they chose him as the next opponent for Brock.
    If Nog beats Randy and Cro Cop beats Dos Santos I'd say they'll have a match for next title shot.
    Maybe they'll give Cain Heath Herring if he's back from injury.
    Judging by this it will be a free Spike TV card so the week before so don't expect anyone fireworks in Manchester for fights. The auld reliable UK fighters wit Marcus Davis thrown in. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Odats wrote: »
    Also, IMO Cain is the one with the greatest potential and feeding him to Lesnar know would be bad business especially when they are trying to tap the Mexican market.

I'd say that Carwin was chosen over Cain because he won his last fight with an impressive looking knockout, whereas Cain got rocked a few times in his and won it by holding Kongo to the ground for three rounds. Carwin deserves the title shot more based on their most recent performances

They don't need much help in tapping the Mexican market anyway, they got a new tv deal there and UFC 100 did a monster rating
    Remember golden boy Huerta is virtually gone if he loses to Maynard

He's gone either way, it's the last fight on his contract and he's spoken about wanting to leave and to try his hand at acting
    Judging by this it will be a free Spike TV card

Brock on free tv, are you mad? Besides, Dave Meltzer has reported that the whole reasoning behind this fight being made is to get another big show out of Brock this year. They get virtually no extra money out of it being on Spike

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

They don't need much help in tapping the Mexican market anyway, they got a new tv deal there and UFC 100 did a monster rating

UFC will always want a poster boy for there markets. Bisping in UK, GSP Canada ( Well he's special), Akiyama in Japan, so Cain makes sense as he is of Mexican origin. (Well Tito aswell but long term) TV deals. Pluts it is on Televisa in Mexico which is like the BBC of Mexico so ratings wouldn't be a problem given it was UFC 100. I wonder what were the ratings for 101.

He's gone either way, it's the last fight on his contract and he's spoken about wanting to leave and to try his hand at acting

I'd think so he's burnt too many bridges with Dana and once he doesn't like you your fcukd. But never say never.

Brock on free tv, are you mad? Besides, Dave Meltzer has reported that the whole reasoning behind this fight being made is to get another big show out of Brock this year. They get virtually no extra money out of it being on Spike[/quote]

If you read the full sentence I was referring to 105 in Machester the previous week as they are running them on consecutive weekends similar to UFC 89 and 99 last year. I'm not that stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

UFC will always want a poster boy for there markets. Bisping in UK, GSP Canada ( Well he's special), Akiyama in Japan, so Cain makes sense as he is of Mexican origin. (Well Tito aswell but long term) TV deals. Pluts it is on Televisa in Mexico which is like the BBC of Mexico so ratings wouldn't be a problem given it was UFC 100. I wonder what were the ratings for 101.

It's true that they'd want someone like that to market to a foreign audience, but I don't think that it's a factor here in any way. It's not like they worked to make GSP a huge Canadian star, that just sort of happened with his success

The only other Mexican ratings news that I heard was that the 101 Countdown show did 18 million viewers, so I doubt that the show itself did that bad
    If you read the full sentence I was referring to 105 in Machester the previous week as they are running them on consecutive weekends similar to UFC 89 and 99 last year. I'm not that stupid.

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant by the rest of your sentence

I think that Brock will win this fight. I forget, but did Gonzaga take Carwin down or how did they end up on the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Il be rooting for Carwin in this one, he deffo has the better of the stand up and well i dont think Brock will be able to keep him held down like he did Frank

jayteecork wrote: »
    Lesnar will make mincemeat out of that fool Carwin.

The only half decent fighter Carwin has fought, Gonzaga, was only defeated by the luckiest sucker punch after Gonzaga was all over him.

Hopefully Nog will own Couture and Cro Cop will find some form. Then maybe we might see Lesnar tested.

And why do I see Mark Coleman every time I look at Carwin?

That's exactly what i was going to post, he was getting his add handed to him and like any fighter about to fall, he kept trying to throw punches and like finding a needle in a haystack he managed to connect one(was by no means a great one either).... Not a fan of Lesnar but that will be a R1 KO/TKO... very quick one i'd imagine

jayteecork wrote: »
    Lesnar will make mincemeat out of that fool Carwin.

And why do I see Mark Coleman every time I look at Carwin?

How can you say that was a lucky sucker punch? Both of them were standing right in front of each other trading and gonzaga got caught with the right. No such thing as luck at that level, every shot has full intention behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tones69 wrote: »
    No such thing as luck at that level, every shot has full intention behind it

Yes there is, swinging like mad and landing is luck not skill, thats what happened.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yes there is, swinging like mad and landing is luck not skill, thats what happened.

Swinging like mad???? Id hardly call this swinging like mad, both of them jabbed then Shane caught him with the straight right,that is not a lucky "sucker" punch, he aimed right for the chin and landed it

16i2yu.gif

Swinging like mad???? Id hardly call this swinging like mad, both of them jabbed then Shane caught him with the straight right,that is not a lucky "sucker" punch, he aimed right for the chin and landed it

OK-:rolleyes:

plus im not only talking about this fight-you said at this level there is no luck, there is though, all the time, brock's muck punch v Randy for example

OK-:rolleyes:

plus im not only talking about this fight-you said at this level there is no luck, there is though, all the time, brock's muck punch v Randy for example

You just said carwin was swinging like mad, the gif is there for you to see. and how was Brock punch lucky?? Nothing wild or crazy about this shot,he might not have the best boxing technique ever but he threw a right and it connected, i dont see the luck involved?? Plus I dont know why you're dying to disagree with anything i say

2vsjgpy.gif

i dont see the luck involved?? Plus I dont know why you're dying to disagree with anything i say

I just disagreed that luck is not involved at this level, the punch on randy was terrible and lucky where it landed, the carwin punch he barely knew it land himself, thats why in MMA they say swing for the fences, its just hit and hope..

i'll bow to your superior boxing knowledge though..

I just disagreed that luck is not involved at this level, the punch on randy was terrible and lucky where it landed, the carwin punch he barely knew it land himself, thats why in MMA they say swing for the fences, its just hit and hope..

i'll bow to your superior boxing knowledge though..

Ehh dont patronise me ok, im not some little young lad for you to talk down to.. i never said i had superior boxing knowledge to you or anyone else for that matter and im not the one coming on here saying i fancy myself standing toe to toe with BJ Penn either..I just said i know brocks boxing technique wasnt the best but the shot landed, I do know what luck is and that right hand carwin crippled gonzaga with was not luck...

I just said i know brocks boxing technique wasnt the best but the shot landed, I do know what luck is and that right hand carwin crippled gonzaga with was not luck...

your age means zero.

and your point above is where we disagree, you just are not happy that someone has a different opinion than ya, we'll agree to disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

MMA is all about right place, right time so of course there is a degree of luck involved at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Happarently, this situation arose because Brock wanted to fight sooner rather than later, and having a Cain v Carwin contenders match would have delayed any title bout too long - as opposed to molly coddling their upcoming talent (source: bloody elbow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd fancy carwin to win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

I think Lesnar wins this fight 9 times out of 10, but Carwin does have big knock out power (even if he does swing for the fences), a guy with a skill to pull off a flash k.o. always has a chance. Anyway, i think that this is the toughest opponent Lesnar can face at this time.

• Advertisement

2vsjgpy.gif

BACK OF THE HEAD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

not sure about the outcome. Obviously Carwin's only ever 1 punch away frm a win, but I think his boxing is as bad as Brocks but with shorter reach. He tends to get hit alot no matter who he's fighting and always looks stiff and slow.

BACK OF THE HEAD!!!

I guess they consider that the side of the head bro, right behind the ear it looks..No way they could call that an intentional back of the head shot, he was standing right in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

hey lads

will someone please explain what 'unifying the UFC's heavyweight title' means and how someone becomes interim champ.

Is there not just one UFC heavyweight title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

BACK OF THE HEAD!!!

My Knowledge of boxing is pretty low. Just outta curiosity. What happens in boxing if this somebody takes an unintentional shot to the back of the head like this? It caused discussion with serra st. pierre1. Is there a big deal made of it in boxing? Ive never really heard of it. If not why do people in mma complain if this happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OV

When Randy Couture was HW champion he left due to a contract dispute and wanting to fight Fedor. In his absence Tim Sylvia/Nogueira fought for an 'Interim' belt.

So when Randy returned he was still the official champion (loosing the belt to Lesnar). Nogueira lost to Mir, making Mir the 'Interim' champ. Mir and Lesnar then fought to unify the titles, which Lesnar won.

Hope this clears it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

BACK OF THE HEAD!!!

Never, Lesnar can't be accounted for Randy ducking and turning his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joker?

id like to see carwin take brock down, but that said i think it will be brick with the win, and when he does i'll have to start showing him due respect rather than him having lucky brakes, i mean have you seen his training videos, he's a beast... fedor's the only guy i can think of that can challenge brock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Velasquez Vs Rothwell announced for UFC 104!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

t-ha wrote: »
    not sure about the outcome. Obviously Carwin's only ever 1 punch away frm a win, but I think his boxing is as bad as Brocks but with shorter reach. He tends to get hit alot no matter who he's fighting and always looks stiff and slow.

Carwin isn't that great a striker but he does have heavy hands (then again so does Lesnar). Carwin may have a wrestling background but Lesnar is definitely a superior wrestler. He was a Div 1 national champion. Carwin fought in Div 2 which is bascially B level competition. Carwin is a huge man though so that will be a challenge for Lesnar to control a guy that big but unless Carwin catches him with a clean shot I think Lesnar will control the fight. Lesnar is the better wrestler, more athletic and explosive but Carwin will definitely have a punchers chance. He does hit hard.

Advertisement