Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situation regarding pay level

Options
  • 20-08-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

This is for someone i know.

Basically Person A was hired into the company For Position X and Pay level X.
    During training it was realised that this person would be better suited to a different and better payed job. They trained and became qualified for the job and are currently doing this job but still have not gotten the appropriate raise.
    They have requested an increase but have been told now that they will not get it and instead will be moved back to the original position.

The problem is that someone else had to be and has been hired to replace them. This person is not qualified or experienced in such a role and is currently being trained by Person A but is being payed the higher rate.

I believe it's a crazy situation as do some of the senior people but it's a decision thats been made by the highest power and i'd like to know if there is any particular law covering a situation like this because i would like to help the person basically get what they deserve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Did person X sign a contract for the original position or for the one they were better suited for?

If they signed a contract for the original position then they should have demanded they got a new contract reflecting the different position as soon as they took it up.

If they didnt do this then I dont think they have a leg to stand on TBH.

There is a section in employment law that deals with flexibility.The TU's and employers agreed to give staff 1 extra bank holiday per annum in exchange for the employees being flexible as regards duties.

All they can do is sit back and watch this new person fail at the job which they will if they are underskilled/qualified.

The problem is that when difficulties arise for the n00b then your mate is the one that will be called upon to advise/remedy the situation.

Its a fecker but I dont think there is a whole lot they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'm not sure if they asked at the time and i'm pretty sure they dont have a new contract.
    I mean there are only 2 people qualified now to do the job, one being Person X, and the other person doing the same job is being paid the proper rate and they aren't. They need more people to do the job and they're dropping one of only 2 people qualified to train.
    The thing that is nuts is they will end up training a new person paying them the higher rate moving person x to the lower paid and easier job. They could have hired someone into the other job much more easily as it requires a lot less and the company would end up paying out the same in wages but would cost less in training losses.

It's not that i think the new person will necessarily fail it just doesn't make any sense to do things this way.
    Yes it is a mad situation and desperately unfair i just wish i had something to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

If I was Person A (or X), I wouldn't be training my replacement. I would doubt there is any mention of the training duty in the contract. It sounds like relations have already broken down between the boss and person A.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement