Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i balance the heating i my house.

Options
  • 20-08-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hows it goin. can i balance the oil fired system i have. there are 8 radiators on the circuit with trv's on all of them. what number should the trvs be on ect. ???? thanks before hand.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How is the system working so far? The TXV's should be set to whatever temperature you find comfortable in the rooms. The position of the outlet/lockshield valve is of slightly less importance where you've thermo valves than where the rads just have on/off valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Open all trv's fully, close all lockshields and open about half turn, switch on heating on low setting allow it to come up to temp, any rads that do not come up to temp can be adjusted by opening lockshields a little at a time continue to raise your boiler temp to its normal working temp tweaking your lockshields as you go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

aujopimur wrote: »
    Open all trv's fully, close all lockshields and open about half turn, switch on heating on low setting allow it to come up to temp, any rads that do not come up to temp can be adjusted by opening lockshields a little at a time continue to raise your boiler temp to its normal working temp tweaking your lockshields as you go.

Just saw this thread and have a related question--how do I know which is the lockshield valve on a rad that doesnt have TRV`s on it.Im also about to balance the system after fitting a new rad but can figure out which is the LSV since over the years the covers have been taken off by the kids,went missing etc.Is there a set rule to which pipe the LSV is on ie is it ALWAYS fitted to the supply or return one?
    And if there isnt a set location for the LSV then from what Ive read on the site below is it possible to balance the system using the return valve only?

http://www.lovekin.net/radiator-balancing.html

I also meant to ask whats the best temperature differential to have across the rads when properly balanced--Ive just borrowed an infra red thermometer for the job at hand and teh recommendation seems to be 11 centigrade or 20 farenheit.

Thanks
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

aujopimur wrote: »
    thanks for that. just wondering are lockshield the ones opposite the trvs on the same rad?? and also roughly what should the boiler temp be set at??? thanks

Advertisement