Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law & Accounting

Options
  • 20-08-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Ok i have never done accounting before nor have i studied any business subject. i got this aceepted for this course, was it a bad choice to make??

did anyone else ever do this before in my situation? how did you do? and did you like the course??

in fact any info on the course would be great :D

Thanks you

CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ok i have never done accounting before nor have i studied any business subject. i got this aceepted for this course, was it a bad choice to make??

did anyone else ever do this before in my situation? how did you do? and did you like the course??

in fact any info on the course would be great :D

Thanks you

CD

It's not going to be as easy for you as others, but you will need to buckle down for the first 6-8 weeks and put an unusually large amount of work in.

The course is taught on the basis of no prior knowledge, but it always helps. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

Hey there,

I'm heading into my second year of Law and Accounting now. I did do Leaving Cert Accounting alright but I know plenty of people who didn't and they ended up loving the course. It will be a bit tougher for you than for those who've studied business before but put a bit of work in in the first few weeks (actually showing up really is a good start) and you'll seriously be fine.

As for the law side of it, practically everyone is new to that, basically you need to learn how to answer the question, once you get the hang of that you'll be grand. Like I didn't do great in my law exams last x-mas but went up from a C3 to B2 and C1 to B1 from x-mas to summer. It's a really good idea to practice writing the essays before going into the exam instead of trying to write an essay you've never written before, that's where I went wrong at x-mas really....

And after all, it's only first year!! Your grades won't count towards your degree but try to do fairly well anyway cause when you're going for co-op apparently they do look at your first year grades.....

But most importantly, have fun in first year. In 2nd semester me and the girls went out loads and we still came out with pretty savage results from cramming in the few weeks before and during exams!!

If you've any specifis Q's, feel free to PM me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Hey I’m going into second year Law n Acc. I had only done a little accounting from Junior Cert business studies so I found I needed to concentrate on the accounting module in each semester. However I got an A2 and a B1 in the accounting modules in the end, and a lot of students that sat back because they had done it for the Leaving Cert only got low B’s/C’s!! So don’t worry, there’s a good mix of people who have/have not done business subjects before, you’ll be fine!

Now i had done Economics for the Leaving so I actually didn’t go to any lectures and got A’s in both semesters. People who haven’t done economics before find it difficult to grasp at first but if you put a little work in, and go to ALL of your tutorials; you’ll find it’s relatively easy. The other business subjects are Maths and BIM (dullest bull**** subject ever but very easy).

As you have 6 modules per semester you’ll have 12 hours of lectures a week (2 per module). Then you’ll have 3 hours of Business tutorials EVERY week. Law tutorials are on every fortnight so you’ll have an extra 3 hours every second week. So in total you have 15hours every week and 18 every second week ish!

A little break down of your first year subjects for you:

Semester One:

Criminal Law 1 – The lecturer this year was great. Just go to your tutorials and most of the lectures and you’re grand. (WARNING, you must write/type very fast as there are no lecture slides, just outlines. I typed mine as it’s quicker!)In the tutorials they go through how to answer exam questions. In this exam there are 5 essays and you pick 3 to do. So basically you will prepare three for the exam and can leave out the two topics you didn’t like. This exam is VERY predictable. The subject is quite interesting too! DO NOT BUY A BOOK FOR THIS SUBJECT!

Contract Law 1 – This lecturer is hilarious and is head of the law department. His book is word for word what’s in his lectures so don’t worry if you miss some lectures, it’s all in his book. So I would recommend getting his book SECOND HAND from the ULSU in the first week or so (the cheapest ones will be gone after that). Do NOT buy it new as its like 85e! He only puts up skeleton slides too so you’ll be writing a lot but not as much as in Criminal law).The exam is the same format as above, 5essays, do 3! This module is dull but the lecturer is quite animated and brings it to life, a bit.

Legal System and Method – COMPLETE JOKE OF A SUBJECT!! Do NOT, i repeat do NOT buy the book. The lecturer puts the full slides on the net and that’s all you need to pass the module. The exam is multiple choice (worth 75% i think). There’s also an essay due in like week11 (25%). So borrow the book from the library for the essay!

BIM – total joke of a subject. Luckily Law and Accounting students only do this in the first semester. The business students have to do it in the second semester too! You have to buy this book, bloody 70euro. Don’t buy it second hand as the CD that comes with it can only be used ONCE. You need this CD to do the online tests, 4 of them worth 40% in total. So the multiple choice exam worth 60% on basic IT q’s. They do NOT put up proper lecture slides so you have to go to the lectures...or else get the notes from someone else who actually goes J

Microeconomics – I found it easy peesy as I’d done it for the LC, go to ALL of your tutorials as the lecturer is ****. There are a series of online tests worth 30% i think it was. Then a 70% multiple choice exam. If you get a decent leaving cert revision book you’ll be sorted for this subject. Don’t buy the book its krap and a rip off!

Principles of Accounting – Do NOT arrive late to this class or use your phone in it or the lecturer will MORTIFY you. He’s a total showman! He makes it out to be harder than it actually is. Tutorials for this subject are very helpful so don’t miss any of them! There is a case study which is a lot of work worth 12.5% if you do it written or 25% if you go to a few evening classes and do it through Excel. I would recommend going to the night classes as you’ll have to learn Excel if you want to do accounting! So then my exam was worth 75%. The exam was grand enough, just don’t miss your tutorials. I wouldn’t recommend buying the lecturers book for this as its krap! There’s another that’s apparently better, they mention it in the tutorials so maybe buy/get from the library. The lecture slides are skeletal by the way so you’ll need to go to the lectures!

Ok so that’s the first semester, as an A1 is 70-75% in college, I was really happy with my results!!

Semester Deux:

Criminal Law 2 – Just a continuation of semester one, everything is the same.

Contract Law 2 – Same as first semester!

Commercial Law – definitely the best law lecturer of the year! He’s really good and makes this subject really interesting. Do NOT miss his tutorials as he does them himself and gives you really good guidance of how to prepare each exam essay. Same format as the other law subjects, 100% exam with 5 essays, do 3! You don’t need to buy a book but quote Fidelma White’s book (borrow from the library) and you’ll get an A.

Business Maths – God bless the lecturer she was a bit away with the fairies!! Very easy exam. I didn’t go to many lectures but went to tutorials and was fine! You don’t need a book for this one either. The exam is the exact same every year. 100% exam. 3 questions in section A, you do 2. Same in section B. There was a nifty revision week where she went through the whole course and this was where i actually attended, as everything you need to know is covered in this week. Really if you’re good with 9am starts you should attend all lectures! ;)

Managerial Accounting – I hated this subject a bit, i would recommend buying the book as it comes with a CD for practicing! I didn’t buy it and that’s where I went wrong. I ended up doing badly in the 20% midterm but doing grand in the exam so came out with a B1. It’s all multiple choice with negative marking! The lecturer is lovely too. The tutorials were DIRE compared to semester one accounting tutorials. Hopefully they will hire somebody new for you J!

Macroeconomics – people who haven’t done economics before tend to prefer this to Macroeconomics. It’s a lot less diagrams in this one and a lot more fact! Buy the book second hand from the ULSU ( i got mine for a tenner) in the first week or two of the second semester! Again go to all your tutorials as that’s where you really learn what you need to know for the exam. The lectures was borrrrring but if you haven’t done Economics before then I would recommend that you go.

All in all, it’s a more difficult course than most as you have to be disciplined enough to keep up with BOTH the law and business modules. But if you’re willing to go to you 15/18 hours a week and do a bit of revision starting 4weeks before exams then you’ll be sorted! Also there's 9months paid work experience in 3rd year that will really give you that competitive edge over others when you leave college.

Make sure you know how to write a good law essay using the ILAC method (ask about this in your first tutorial and they’ll explain it to you). I would reccomend typing your law notes in class as it saves time and is neater than the scrawl you'll write with a pen at 200miles an hour.

I really enjoyed this year, it’s challenging but not overly so! I would REALLY recommend doing this course as it leaves you’re options open to a LOT of different careers. If I was you I’d defo give it a go. You’ll still have LOADS of time for clubs and socs/going out and dossing about as a student should do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 makaveli13

Incoming first year here too! Been looking for some info on the course so thanks gragra90 and firefly09.Course sounds good from what ive heard.Got an A1 in Acc. in the LC so not too worried about that but ive never done economics before so that could potentially be a pain in the a$$.Im sure youll be ok with the accounting side anyway cold desert.It may seem a bit tricky at first but once you get your head around it its pretty easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Microeconomics is the one to get your head around but when you do you'll be fine! (You will hate "Elasticity" until you understand it)The tutorials are so helpful for economics, Lisa Hickey is the best so try go to her tutorials if you can. A leaving cert economics revision book would REALLY help you for micro as the UL book is reaaaally krap.

Then Macroeconomics you will be fine with as it's just learning off large amounts of info and answering multiple choice questions on it. Also in Macro there was 25% going for tutorial attendence and 25% going for a project due in week 11. So the exam itself was only worth 50%!! You need to have the book for this as tutorial work is based on it but as i said, buy it really cheap from UL Students Union second hand book shop in the first week or two and you'll get it really cheap :)

I mean really they don't fail very many people in first year, you'll be ahead fo the pack if you actually turn up to all of your lectures/tutorials in the first place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement