Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET Free Laptop??

Options
  • 20-08-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, i have gotten an IRCSET scholarship for next year in UCD. I was just wondering if anyone knew how the free laptop for the first year is handled? Should i go through my department or do I contact IRCSET directly?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Its generally done through your department, at least thats how I got mine. Meant I had to get it from one of the college suppliers. IRCSET don't really handle the day to day running of your research account...thats all done internally in the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 nuig4

Oh ok, just wondering did you have to bring it up or was it said to you? And was there much hassle getting the money from them?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's basically that they ringfence how parts of the funding are to be spent - then they lodge the entire sum in the research account. The account is used to pay you, pay your fees and pay for equipment like computers. When they audit your money they need to see what its been used for.

Yea, you'll just need to get your supervisor to sign off on it. You'll probably find there's a person in your department that does all the ordering and your supervisor will send you to them with your spec and a letter saying they authorise the money to be taken from your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

This is one of the many things nobody tells graduate students. Most of the mundane practical stuff is learned through osmosis from other PhD students. My top tip: be nice to your administrative staff, they know everything and can help you navigate through practical stuff like where you get your laptop, how to order books, where to get more paper for the printer, how to claim expenses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 nuig4

Thanks for your replies guys, the other thing i wanted to ask about is time off. If you wanted to take a 2 week holiday during the summer, do you need permission from your supervisor or is there anything else you need to do? I know it will vary from person to person, im just looking for a general answer!!

Your time is your own really within reason. Obviously you dont want to arrange your holiday to coincide with some important conference in your area or anything like that. Its no harm to mention it to them before you book anything as they'll be likely to be aware of any relevant things you should be going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I've been told assume you have standard holidays as if it were a job. Then any flexible working arrangments should be done with your supervisor

Advertisement