Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Defence - Physical Exercise Assessment

Options
  • 20-08-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is involved in the physical exercise assessment for the civil defence?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<moved> from volunteerism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

star gazer wrote: »
    <moved> from volunteerism
    Sorry, didn't see this forum.

Can anyone help me with the above question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm also interested to hear what's involved. Got a letter the other day giving me 3 options, September - October or January. Says to bring rain gear and they'll provide food so I'm thinking it's an all day thing?

If the physical is any way tough I'll be ticking off January to give myself time to improve my fitness and hopefully give up the ciggys. Couldn't run to catch a bus at the moment. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Didnt realise that there was a physical test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Neither did I :D/

O/p's what exactly did your respective letters say?

• Advertisement

buzzman wrote: »
    Neither did I :D/

O/p's what exactly did your respective letters say?

We are holding Physical exercise assessments on,

sep
    oct
    Registration at 10.30

bring

proof of id
    tracksuit
    runners
    rain gear
    water
    food will be provided

Respond by 4th sep.

There's a sheet attached where you tick sep /oct or next round in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No specific info on what Dublin AFS are running, but fairly common fire service physical assessments would involve climbing a ladder and taking a leg lock to demonstrate an ability to deal with heights, some lifting to simulate carrying ladders or portable pumps and then some running with hoses to see about aerobic capacity.

The UK national firefighter selection tests have been adopted by a number of Irish brigades in recent times, good info here:

http://www.firefitsteeringgroup.co.uk/NFST.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS_cocW7n7w&feature=related

There is no truth to the rumour that this is part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGUlqnQz3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

In my Afs unit we had to do simular upon joining,basically making down 5 lenghts of hose and then rolling back up.We also had to crawl tunnels as a claustraphobia test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Thanks for the info, I've looked at the info you all posted but its all specific to AFS, as far as I know this is a general physical assessment, i doubt it will be aimed at a specific area of the civil defence or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Basically this assessment is only to make sure that your not hugely overweight or really really unfitl! I'm heading to it in September and they said if you can cycle a bike or play a game of football then you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Ziycon wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I've looked at the info you all posted but its all specific to AFS, as far as I know this is a general physical assessment, i doubt it will be aimed at a specific area of the civil defence or am I wrong?

If you are really overweight or unfit etc , they will put you into a different class depending on your situation. Also for example, if you have a fear of water or heights, they will keep you away from this area.

Ziycon wrote: »

That was my thinking too. I reckon it will be more of a general cardio + strength assessment rather than AFS specific. They'll probably use it to better assign people. Don't know to be honest though, just guessing.

If anyone has any more info I'd appreciate it. Trying to decide whether or not to put it off till Jan to give myself time to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Dublin AFS test is, or was,

1. 2 Laps of an area the roughly size of a half a football pitch carrying 2 lengths of hose.

2. 10.5m ladder climb and descent (no leg-lock).

3. 20m blind crawl through a dark tunnel network.

All done wearing full fire PPE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs

What CD group are you going for?
    I Believe that some of the CDO's are making up there own rules for recruitment, some are even holding interviews.........???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

robs wrote: »
    What CD group are you going for?
    I Believe that some of the CDO's are making up there own rules for recruitment, some are even holding interviews.........???????????

We had none of any of the above stuff for the AFS or any other part of Civil defence!

Advertisement