Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to become a Teachta Dála

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, how do you become a Teachta Dála (TD) what are the steps involved

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It's really tough. You have to own a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

1. Run in a general election or bye-election
    2. Get elected.

That's it. Did you mean how does one get nominated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doodlebop

kraggy wrote: »
    It's really tough. You have to own a pub.
    why do Irish people always have to say something stupid like that. Its not referring to my question i have asked. But shows how stupid you are

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Doodlebop, don't call other members stupid as it's abuse and against the charter, as well as flame-baiting in a rude way. You can report a post but in this case I'm letting the whole thing go as kraggy would get a warning for idiocy and you for abuse so we'll call it quits.

Having said that, there's often little worse than someone who thinks they're hilarious but aren't actually adding to the universe. Especially when someone else is hoping for an answer to something but another user thinks it's bad comedy day. It's never bad comedy day, at least not here.

Now, after I post this link ("Nomination of Candidates for Membership of Dail Eireann"), does anyone have anything to add that is useful and doesn't read like it's been fuelled by a bottle of cheap vodka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

doodlebop wrote: »
    why do Irish people always have to say something stupid like that. Its not referring to my question i have asked. But shows how stupid you are

Christ man, it was a joke (and a funny one too). Calm down. A lot of people vote for the people they know instead of their policies and so if you are known around the local pub, then the chances are a lot of people know you and thus your chances of being elected are increased. Sorry to ruin a good joke, but since you didn't get it and felt fit to insult people instead, it was required for certain members of the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

doodlebop wrote: »
    hi, how do you become a Teachta Dála (TD) what are the steps involved

why do you wanna be a td?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

For goodness sake keep ye're knickers on.

It was merely a reference to the high proportion of TD's who are publicans and a suggestion of how ridiculous the wink-wink nudge-nudge culture of voting in on popularity versus ability is in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

being the son or daughter of one tends to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I suppose there's always the option of a popup reminding people that the Politics forum isn't the Cuckoos nest before they post. It's at least worth remembering that there are other forums for the half-baked quips.

As far as I can tell the question (the mechanism) was answered above before and after the morning audition for Saturday Night Live. No real need to leave it open then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement