Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router/connection/splitter confusion

Options
  • 20-08-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

im at my wits end now with this problem im having. today eircom sent me out a new splitter saying it would solve the problem of bb cutting out when the phone rings. so i plug the splitter in and now the router keeps flashing on the dsl light and no internet at all. has anyone any idea how i can fix this, il try explain as best i can my setup.

upstairs in my house there is a phone socket which router is plugged into and this line runs downstairs directly into the little white eircom box(no idea what its called), when the splitter is plugged into that i tried running a seperate cable from the router into the splitter and nothing, as above.

any ideas on what im doing wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

im at my wits end now with this problem im having. today eircom sent me out a new splitter saying it would solve the problem of bb cutting out when the phone rings. so i plug the splitter in and now the router keeps flashing on the dsl light and no internet at all. has anyone any idea how i can fix this, il try explain as best i can my setup.

upstairs in my house there is a phone socket which router is plugged into and this line runs downstairs directly into the little white eircom box(no idea what its called), when the splitter is plugged into that i tried running a seperate cable from the router into the splitter and nothing, as above.

any ideas on what im doing wrong
    Well the first thing wrong is the extension cable running upstairs to the BB, that will wreak havoc on your connection (causing drops outs, intermittency, slow speeds or a flashing DSL light). Is this a wireless router? It would be best to connect that way in this case.

Secondly, the double filter should be on the main point where the line begins (downstairs plugged into the Eircom NTU) in the side marked DSL and then that cable should go directly into your Eircom router. All other devices in your house (whether it's phones, Sky, monitored house alarms or faxes) should be connected either through the phone side of the new double filter or through single phone filters.

filters%201.JPG
    filters%202.JPG

Single Filter and a Double Filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Well the first thing wrong is the extension cable running upstairs to the BB

i have done the second point all grand but do you think its the cable running directly into the NTU?

if that was taken out would it solve the problem

Edit: the computer is wired and so is the xbox but my latop isnt and the same problem exists

i have done the second point all grand but do you think its the cable running directly into the NTU?

if that was taken out would it solve the problem

Edit: the computer is wired and so is the xbox but my latop isnt and the same problem exists
    Extension cables are always going to affect your Broadband yes, maybe not noticeable to the average user on a low speed with a good line but to most users it would definately.

Just make sure the cable going from the Eircom NTU to your router goes through the double filter on the side that says DSL and that everything else goes either though the phone side of that double filter or though their own single phone filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

thanks very much, i do have another question that maybe you could help me with, is it possible to put a "double phone connection" into the splitter?

thanks very much, i do have another question that maybe you could help me with, is it possible to put a "double phone connection" into the splitter?
    Yes, you can route your entire houses non-broadband network through the phone side (as listed before, that includes faxes, phones, sky, etc.) as long as your broadband is first in the queue a long side them in the DSL side. It's very important that the BB signal doesn't receive interference.

filter_scenario.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i have a similar query.i want to hook up my BB,telephone and sky box to the phone socket.do i connect the microfilter to the phone socket and then connect the BB to the DSL side and use a splitter on the phone side to connect the telephone and sky (thats the way it looks in the diagram)?

Can microfilters break/be faulty mine doesnt seem to work ,i tried setting it all up today and it didnt work and then tried just using the microfilter for the phone and BB(omitting the splitter for sky) and it made no difference.Can i plug the BB cable directly into the telephone socket?

Anyone recommend somewhere to buy microfilters?or are all makes similar standard?

anyone able to answer the quesion above^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

yabadabado wrote: »
    i have a similar query.i want to hook up my BB,telephone and sky box to the phone socket.do i connect the microfilter to the phone socket and then connect the BB to the DSL side and use a splitter on the phone side to connect the telephone and sky (thats the way it looks in the diagram)?

Can microfilters break/be faulty mine doesnt seem to work ,i tried setting it all up today and it didnt work and then tried just using the microfilter for the phone and BB(omitting the splitter for sky) and it made no difference.Can i plug the BB cable directly into the telephone socket?

Anyone recommend somewhere to buy microfilters?or are all makes similar standard?
    To your first question, yes. Only the BB connects to the dsl side of the filter.
    Yes filters can be faulty.
    Your not being very clear as to what is not working.
    Yes you can plug the BB directly into the phone socket.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    To your first question, yes. Only the BB connects to the dsl side of the filter.
    Yes filters can be faulty.
    Your not being very clear as to what is not working.
    Yes you can plug the BB directly into the phone socket.

the BB is not working correctly ,its disconnecting on a regular basis.The dsl light starts flashing and sometimes isnt lit.i tried plugging the BB directly into the phone socket and there was no improvement.

Advertisement