Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem launching a game-Help!

• 20-08-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I have recently downloaded a computer game that I paid for. I have installed it on my computer but have never played it. The game comes with a demo which works so I dont think its a graphics card is the problem. The icon is on my desktop but I when I try and launch it the following error appears,

Error: Access violation at 0x012F212C (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated.

Does anyone recognize this error and know what the problem is? I have tryied launching it from a CD but the same error occurs. Any help would be appreciated. Its very annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its trying to access protected memory. Couldnt tell you why. Its a sourcecode thing.

Whats the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Its a game called starting orders 3. I have a key code but I cant open the program for an opportunity to enter it.

Alright,

1) Have you tried opening a support ticket with the company that makes the game? Its good to open up one anyway. They can take a few days to get your problems resolved. may as well start early and start often.

2) If Vista, Try Ricght Clicking on the Executable/Application/.exe and go into its properties. Under compatibility set it for Windows XP, and run it as Administrator.

3) Have you patched it?

Go to the support page: http://www.startersorders.com/support.htm

It gives you the patch and says in a nutshell, most of the crashes are due to bad/old video drivers. Run windows update, and see if it doesnt find these drivers (Vista). In XP, you will need to manually download the driver from the website.

Thanks Overheal but still no joy.Ive already contacted support but they havent got back to me yet.

I didnt really find that patch much help but to be honest I didnt really know what I was doing. I also tried going to th program propeties to set the compatibility for Windows XP(service pack 2), and run it as Administrator. It didnt work though.

What do you mean "Run windows update"? I ran windows update and it downloaded a few things but I dont know what drivers I should find. I do have windows vista. Any other suggestions?

ApologiesiIf I seem a tad computer thick!

Go to Start and type in Device Manager. Go to your display adapter. Its either going to be Intel, ATI, or Nvidia based. Right click on this and select Update Driver Software.

• Advertisement

I've tried all that. I alreadry have the latest NVIDIA driver. It looks like I'm not goin to get it goin. Ive been in contact with support but I think I've tried everything at this stage. Thanks for the help anyway Overheal.

Advertisement