Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im starting too panic like

Options
  • 20-08-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

who knew starting college would be so confusing .
    i have a few questions about what i should have done and be doing to start the year

1. what all should i have done by now?(eg registration accomadation fees etc)
    2. Occupancy Period: 18th December 2009 to 21st May 2010
    could this be a mistake for my on campus accomadation ??i want it for the year(aug 31st)i never noticed any dates when appling for it.
    3. do i need to do the elective modules or can i just do whats nessisary?(50 creds like)
    4. what is the date to have fees paid by?

im feeling more nervious than before the leaving right now:(,i feel so lost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Well I'm don't know about the rest but my friend spotted that as well and emailed them and they were like oh sorry that's a typo, for the dates of residencey so you're grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinboi

munchie14 wrote: »
    3. do i need to do the elective modules or can i just do whats nessisary?(50 creds like)

No, you must have 60 credits for the year, generally you can't have more or less than this. You can pick modules from within your course or outside. You can do any modules you like, provided you meet the entry requirements (level), you have room in your timetable and the module isn't full.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

dublinboi wrote: »
    No, you must have 60 credits for the year, generally you can't have more or less than this. You can pick modules from within your course or outside. You can do any modules you like, provided you meet the entry requirements (level), you have room in your timetable and the module isn't full.

ok,,but i dont have a third language,,does that mean i am limited to engineering electives(no third language requirment)

my course is mechanical engineering,does anyone know if i have a choice of modules for my first 50 creds?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinboi

No as far as I'm aware, you can do what ever you want, even a language, you can take one up or continue on in one you already have. When you try to register it as your choice, you'll be stopped from registering it if you can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

munchie14 wrote:
    1. what all should i have done by now?(eg registration accomadation fees etc)
    2. Occupancy Period: 18th December 2009 to 21st May 2010
    could this be a mistake for my on campus accomadation ??i want it for the year(aug 31st)i never noticed any dates when appling for it.
    4. what is the date to have fees paid by?

Listen folks, relax, registration and all that shit will sort itself out. The nice people in ucd, will explain it for you, you're shown how to register for modules and even how to login into the computer, after this you get a free memory stick, 256mb when I started! All you have to remember is, you have 60 credits to play around with, make sure you pick the required number of modules for a subject that you're interested in carrying on till next year (i.e. in most cases, arts anyway, you need something like 20 credits to do the subject in 2nd year). Once you don't fuck that up, you're on the pigs back! Regards electives, you can do whatever you like, it doesn't matter. Just you use your head and pick modules that aren't totally unrelated to what you're doing (e.g. you wouldn't pick an actuary elective if you're doing english and history and you got a C3 in pass maths in the leaving). You must pick 60 credits of modules, you have to pass 50 to progress, but you have to do 60 regardless because for an arts degree you need 180 credits to get the thing. Regarding accommodation, if you've got it, you've got it, don't worry about it. You don't get accommodation for the summer or for next year (if you're a 2nd year undergrad), because in summer it's booked up by english language students, summer schools etc... and next year there'll be more 1st years and international students, and these need accommodation, and you're not starting a postgrad or PhD so no summer thesis and hence no need for summer accommodation. TBH, there's nothing to do in Belfield in the summer anyway. You've got until the end of September I think to pay your registration fees, so that's okay for another while. So for now, relax, enjoy the next couple of weeks before you start, bring your passport to induction day and a few bob for the SU pub!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

ok,,but i dont have a third language,,does that mean i am limited to engineering electives(no third language requirment)

my course is mechanical engineering,does anyone know if i have a choice of modules for my first 50 creds?

You're doing denominated engineering (just read that there now, sorry if my last post was all arts, it's what I'm used to!;)), yeh you'll being doing the same modules as the undenominated crowd, civil, electrical, structural etc... i.e. lots of maths and physics etc... most of your modules will be introductory ones and you'll be in with everyone else. Of course, you'll probably be preselected for some modules (i.e. maths and physics ones) in order to progress so. I'll give you an example of how this works; I did a BA in Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy, in 1st year, 40 credits of my modules were preselected in order for me to carry on the course till 2nd year, so I had 20 credits to play around with. So given your in a denominated course, X number of modules will be preselected for you, I don't know what it is for mechanical engineering, but I'd imagine it's somewhere between 40 and 50 credits, so you'll probably end up picking very few electives. Best thing to do is if you're still concerned is; contact the programme office in the school of electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering:
    Phone: + 353 1 716 1884/1787/1909
    Fax: + 353 1 283 0534/283 0921
    E-mail: mecheng@ucd.ie ; eleceng@ucd.ie
    Web: http://www.ucd.ie/mecheng
    http://www.ucd.ie/eleceng

Good luck with the course anyway, it's an excellent degree to do and fair play for getting into the course!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

2. is defo a mistake

the nice lady told me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Hey, I entered denominated eng last year (chem not mech). Your modules will be the same as the undenominated students mostly. You just have to pick your physics lab times, maths and mechanics tutorial times and computer science lab times. The only difference between denominated and undenominated is that undenominated have to choose an option module depending on what type of eng they wish to pursue, yours will be already chosen for you. So fifty credits will be chosen for you, all you have to do is pick your electives. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

thanks a mill everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You're confused becasue you keep typing (not even saying) like after every sentence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement