Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many attempts did it take you to quit?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Just wondering?? need some motivation that it is possible even after numerous attempts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Tried once 7 years ago with patches. Lasted about 4 or 5 days. I tried to give up because someone else wanted me to quit. I thought it seemed like a good idea and that I probably should give up, but I really didn't want to quit, and whaddya know, I failed.

11 months ago I was totally fed up of smoking. Sickened at the thought of what they were doing to my health, and really despised the smouldering sensation in my chest at night, and generally feeling like an ashtray. I really wanted to be rid of them forever. 11 months later, I'm still off them.

It might take a few tries, it might take only one try, but I really think it's all about the right frame of mind. Noone can get you into that frame of mind, but you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ashamed to say how many times I tried to stop before success.

Rest assured it was much more than you think.

Don't give up trying because even if you fail, you are no worse off.
    So its a no brainer to keep trying.

If you succeed, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Lost count myself of how many times I stopped smoking.

Keep at it though. It'll stick eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jokerrus

first time and it was successful. Gf didnt like it so ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I tried to quit many times and would generally last a while, but I suppose I never really wanted to stop deep down, hence I would fail. This time it is so different, champix has made this quit easy for me and my 7 month old daughter is my everlasting motivation. This time it is for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 than

3 times, still miss them though especially when am having few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

tried twice with no look only lasted about 3 weeks so i tried hypnotherapy and now ive been off 6 months still get the urge every now and again but i try to keep busy:P

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

Tried 4 years ago with the patches, Was allergic to the glue that they used... So gave up haha Went onto the gum, Didn't last... Tried the inhalers twice worked for a few days each but then I went back on them double to what i used to smoke...

Just tried the Champix, It rules... Been off them a good bit and no cravings!

Check it out and good luck, Keep on trying if you don't succeed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I kid you not but at least 50. Probably nearer to 150 with all the after weekend promises I made to myseld over the years only for Wednesday to come and to get a bottle of wine and break out the golds.

The only way to do it if youre hopelessy addicted is to stop the gargle as well - thats what I found. The sacrafices are worth it in the end, but I felt every pinch of it when I was hibernating them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yawhyawh

i give up 6 years ago and having looked back..it was hard at first but got there in the end...you really have to want to give up to succeed:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Many failed attempts happen because the person succumbs to that niggling fear inside which just seems to win out every time when one tries to stop smoking.

We all think we will be miserable without cigarettes.
    Why wouldn't we think that ?
    Withdrawal is after all quite uncomfortable.
    Unfortunately, quite often, very quickly and totally illogically we rationalise this stupid thought as being our justification to fall off the wagon.

It makes no sense except sadly it does.

Irrational action is a classic symptom of addiction and nicotine is the most addictive drug of them all.

Many smokers don't even bother to rationalise and cannot understand why their stop attempt fails. They know that they just want a smoke. They just accept they are smokers and get on with it. That's another classic facet of addiction.

Addicts don't think straight. Fact.

The next time you try to stop, arm yourself with a few facts and don't waver.

1. The withdrawal will pass in 3 days.
    2. It's going to be well worth it to get yourself over this finishing line.
    3. You're going to enjoy yourself more in the pub and everywhere else without smoking in your life. Not less.

It is the absolute truth that you will be happier without nicotine in your life.
    Stopping is the best thing you will probably ever do and life will be better and more enjoyable once its done.

It's just near impossible to get smokers to believe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Just wondering?? need some motivation that it is possible even after numerous attempts!

My brother and his wife decided to give up together and succeeded on their first attempt, they haven,t smoked since and that was about 10 yrs ago now. They ate more food to compensate but they both felt really healthy after quitting like a big weight was lifted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I tried many times but looking back I probably wasn't serious because I still loved the ciggies way too much. One day I realized that it was a one-way relationship, the cigs had no love for me at all and I decided to give them up. And for the first time I was serious. I used 2 courses of patches and a lot of late night walks to stave off the cravings and I'm happy to say it worked. It was just about the hardest thing I've ever done but also just about the most rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sblakepcs

I tried to stop smoking on a few occasions. The most successful was a week without smoking.. Now, I'm back. You just can't beat that drag!
    sad to say , My lungs are not in the greatest shape!

The point is... I'm still trying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

keep trying it will work in the end it is the hardest thing ive ever done but worth it in the end i am now able to run around with my son and have quality time without thinking i may get a fag............................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

TL:DR I tried to quit three times. Succeeded on the third attempt.

I tried to quit three times. Succeeded on the third attempt.

The first time was at the request of my girlfried at the time. I think I lasted about two days. Had pretty bad withdrawal and couldn't cope.

The second time was about a month later. Same reason. This time I lasted about 9 months. However I was never properly off them. I became a social smoker, more specially when the girlfriend wasn't around. After we broke up the first thing I did was to go outside and have a smoke.

The third time I decided to give up myself. At the end of the week I smoked my last and haven't touched them since. More importantly I haven't had the desire.

I feel that the key was my mindset. The problem seems clear-cut written down that I didn't want to give up at first and it was my girlfriend that "made" me. It wasn't that obvious at the time and it's only now that I realise this. But the mindset is the key; you have to really want to stop smoking. It can't be for a particular reason beyond the desire to stop smoking. If you have a reason, like money, then you will find ways wriggle out of it i.e I'm on holiday and they're cheaper over here.

Sorry for the rambling. I just kept typing as ideas came to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I don't know if I can agree with 'you really have to want to stop smoking'. I loved smoking, i loved having a fag with a few beers, got all excited when i opened the fresh pack and settled in to a few drinks with my mates and a few cigs.

I also loved them after a meal and when i got up in the morning. Looooved looking forward to having a fag when i finished a nice fancy dinner, and i loved smoking when it was cold so that i could see the smoke blow out of my mouth.

Then i realised that this 'love' wasn't real. It was an illusion in my mind. It's an illusion because cigarettes are a drug, and i was a drug addict. I asked myself, 'do you want to be a drug addict? a slave to fags?' and I decided that I didn't. I loved them but I was not going to be a drug addict forever, even a 'manageable' drug addict.

It is a bad as heroin, and it will kill you, don't doubt that.

And the amazing thing is that it's SO strong, it actually makes you believe that you love it while it kills you.

That's what made me stop smoking. Realising that I didn't love it, that was the drugs and the addiction talking. Can you actually believe (as a non heroin addict) that a junkie 'loves' injecting themselves? No, they love the drug.

You can do it. Everyone can do it. Just make the decision and stick to it. Easy as pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

3 times, haven't smoked in nearly 6 years now, still get occasional cravings though, especially when out after a few pints,

good luck to you if you are trying, it's not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Tried several times to gave them up, gave it another shot 4 weeeks ago
    used champix and am off smokes 3 weeks and I really feel that am going to do it this time. Best of luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Goldme

Tried few times over the years but never really wanted to. Really enjoyed them. Used the patches this time last year and havent smoked since. it really is worth it in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

I tried patches,gum,cold turkey..all failed and then I read Alan Carr's "easyway to stop smoking".Without reading that book I'd still be a smoker.His method was a revelation to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I gave them up for 2 years then started again, am now in the middle of giving them up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Gave up some many times I can't remember. I finally stopped smoking in 2001 or 2002, not sure now. Had stopped for a year and a half before that but in my head I really wanted a cigarette, so I started up again for about 6 months but it really tormented me that I did.

I had tried every kind of method but the Allen Carr books Easy Way to Stop Smoking or something like that work a threat for me. Was a tiny bit hard for a month or so, but up don't have to stop smoking until you finish the book, so if your not ready you'll just keep reading over everything.

Then when you decided yep this is it I've had enough, don't want my breath clothes and house to stink. Sick of being full of snot and having no money. Didn't even like them to begin with I just made myself like them. Only really enjoy a couple of them anyway, just smoke the rest out of habit. You just don't find it hard to stop - you are glad your actually doing it.

The book didn't work for my husband. He stopped a year after me, we didn't do it at the same time cause be knew we'd only talk each other back into smking. He eventually went to an Allen Carr half day seminar, never had a cigarette since.

Can't even bear the smell of the now, I think people who smoke really stink of cigarettes, their clothes, hair, books, breath, its rank.
    A word of warning, people who smoke will tell you how great you are for giving up, but all the while they will try to tempt you back on to them. Misery loves company - its no their fault but they are just jealous you did something they have convinced themselves that they can't - ::D so don't be fooled

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Best of luck on gaving them up again am still off them but it can be hard and it does help if you have support. I seem to go through phases with them wanting one and I dont know if the urge is getting less or I am getting stronger. I have to say my workmates are impressed but I have a sneaky feeling some would like to see me smoking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I have to say it was the first time I tried....Because It was the first time I truly wanted to give up, all the other times was for other people who wanted me to stop. When I was honest with myself I realised what I was doing and what I needed to do to put myself straight.
    But having said all that when your standing on the other side of the fence and lookin back everything looks easy, but it's not it's a damn hard thing to do.
    good luck to anyone who's quitting, you can do it.

Advertisement