Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vounteering in Kenya Oct 08

• 20-08-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am volunteering with a charity in Kenya in October, not sure if I should name them or not? They are Kenyan run with support by ex- volunteers acting as volunteer co-ordinators in the US. They run a health care clinic, outreach HIV education programmes, a school and a women's micro enterprise group. I really liked the sound of them and have been looking foward to going.

Recently I saw a video on youtube posted by an ex-volunteer. He cited a negative experience, showed their van being out of commission and said to contact him if thinking of going. I did this and he raised some suspicions out the Rev. in charge of the projects in relation to money coming through the project. I emailed the volunteer co-ordinator at this stage and asked about the vans (not the other allegation). I was assured that the vans are back in action so no volunteer work will be affected. He gave me some email addresses of past volunteers who I contacted. They reported positive experiences so I left it at that.

Yesterday, I got an email from the volunteer co-ordinator saying they had a donation of laptops from a big company in Singapore but were afraid that they would be stolen in the Kenyan postal system. They asked could they ship 1 or 2 to me, for me take to Kenya with me. Am I paranoid or does this sound dodgy to anyone else?

I will not be taking any laptops with me and have told them so - but now I am questioning the whole set up. Does anybody with experience volunteering in Africa or Kenya know whether this is a normal type of request? I really liked the sound of the project I have choosen and don't want to loose faith in them, however I also don't want to be naive and ignore warning signs of something smelly going on.

I'm sorry for the long post but any advise is very welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

And by Oct 08; I do of course mean :rolleyes: Oct 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Asking you to bring them over does not sound dodgy imo. I have done similar things for charities in the past for different reasons; what they want can't be bought in their country, post&packaging too expensive for them to have it shipped etc. Kenya would not be renowned for its stirling postage system so I wouldn't be too worried about being asked to bring them over.

I would however try and find out a bit about the allegations against the rev. I wouldn't be too worried if it were only one person on the internet bandying around these allegations but if you find other people who back him up it's worth talking to the volunteer co-ordinator about. Do they have a facebook group or anything where you could get in contact with ex-volunteers that are not recommended by the organisation (they're hardly going to give you contacts that disagree with them)?

Overall things are run differently in Africa and don't always seem to be sensible to us, I wouldn't be put off by one person's rant on youtube (out of interest do you have a link). Go with an open mind, but as with anywhere new be on your guard.

The best of luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Advertisement