Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Brompton

• 20-08-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I had my Brompton folding bike stolen on Saturday last in Parliment Street. It's turkish green in colour , 6 speed and only 5 weeks old. It's a very distinctive bike so if you are offered it please let me know.

A picture of the bike can be found here http://sillyoldtwit.com

There is a 500 Euro reward.

My email is SUGNIM@MSN.COM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I had my Brompton folding bike stolen on Saturday last in Parliment Street.
    Sorry to hear that. How was it locked?

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Hard luck. What sort of lock(s) were on it?
    I had my Brompton folding bike stolen on Saturday last in Parliment Street. It's turkish green in colour , 6 speed and only 5 weeks old. It's a very distinctive bike so if you are offered it please let me know.

A picture of the bike can be found here http://sillyoldtwit.com

There is a 500 Euro reward.

My email is SUGNIM@MSN.COM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Is the price in the link correct €12000? Can't believe any bike would cost that much. Will keep an eye out for it.

I've come across a few abandoned bikes down the back of Talbot Street between there and Buckingham street. I'd make enquiries around there but I'd go easy on the reward. You could try the community Gardai at Store Street and Fitzgibbon Street, the ones that cycle on the beat, worth a shot. Best of luck getting it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 oldandintheway

That should read 1,200 Euros....It had a kryptonite new york lock on it . I did report it to Pearse Street Garda Station but don't expect anything to come of that..

I really just posted here to remind people that their bikes really are not safe anywhere in the City Centre in paticular.......it really doesn't matter a lot what kind of lock you have.....

....the moral of the story is , if you have a decent bike then don't park it out in the open....

....ps , The Brompton is a beautifull bike to ride...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sorry about your bike - I'll keep an eye out.

Did it have any distinctive markings that might help identify it as yours?

If it folds as small as it seems, why didn't you bring it in off the road? I am banned from several shops because I refused to leave my bike outside...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If someone really wants your bike and has the time/space to get through the lock(s), they will do so. That said, the old New York lock is a big bleeder. Was it the chain one or the u-lock one?
    I really just posted here to remind people that their bikes really are not safe anywhere in the City Centre in paticular.......it really doesn't matter a lot what kind of lock you have.....

....the moral of the story is , if you have a decent bike then don't park it out in the open....

....ps , The Brompton is a beautifull bike to ride...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If someone really wants your bike and has the time/space to get through the lock(s), they will do so. That said, the old New York lock is a big bleeder. Was it the chain one or the u-lock one?

From the pictures on the website it looks like a Kryptonite New York 3000 U-lock. This has a 16mm shackle. The Fahgettaboudit has an 18mm shackle.

My extra 2mm of girth don't give me a great deal of confidence.

edit: oldandintheway, was the lock cut or jacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

My sister's beautiful silver Giant bicycle-which I had the loan of for the summer while she is away was stolen today from where I had locked it on South William Street, at the top of Coppinger Row, just opposite Grogan's. I left it there on the first of the three bike stands there around 1.30pm and when I came back at 3.30pm the intact lock -its a thick bendy silver lock and was attached to the bike-was there but the bike was gone. It looks like it was just yanked off. She got it from a bicycle shop in Clondalkin about 3 months ago and I think it cost around 300-400 euro; she absolutely cherished it. Not even sure of the model-need to find the paperwork-am new to cycling, have just been v. happily using it to get in and out to work for the last couple of months. I rang the Gardai in Pearse St and later called in and they were helpful- the guard said he would call up and check if there are any cameras in the area etc. Pretty upset.

Lumen ,

The lock was taken with the bike so I don't know how it was done..

• Advertisement

Caledonia ,

That's probably the worst spot for stolen bikes in Dublin. My last bike was stolen from the rack at the end of Georges St. I see really beautifull bikes in that general neighbourhood every day of the week and my first thought always is ' I wonder how long before that's stolen'...

Sorry to hear about you sis's bike....

...'wouldn't you just love to catch these people in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

OAITW,
    Absolutely. Had a call from Store St gardai on way home from work yesterday saying they had found a ladies giant bike! It was a little bit like Changeling as we were trying to convince ourselves that it was the same bike. Unfortunately, it was fairly obvious that it wasn't- no carrier; this was an older bike than her one- Giant CRS3.0 Commuter and it still had sticker from where it was bought on it. Both myself and garda reluctantly agreed that it would be a wasted journey to go down to check it out but still appreciated the call. Will be getting her a new one in the next few days- she is away at the moment, apparently colour on new model is slightly different, hope she doesn't notice(suspect she will)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Sorry to hear the news and yes there truly is nowhere safe to lock up a bike apart from within your own home, although the chances of retrieval are slim sincerely hope your local station can help particularly the bicycle beat if you can get a hold of one of them and explain the theft etc.

Eitherway I'm sure each one who's now seen it on boards will keep an eye out in the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

DJsail wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the news and yes there truly is nowhere safe to lock up a bike apart from within your own home

Even thats not safe i had 2 stolen last week from the shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Even thats not safe i had 2 stolen last week from the shed

Preaching to the choir there, also had two bikes stolen recently after leaving them locked in the gaff's secure carpark for an hour or so, just after taking them off the car while putting the rest of my kit inside, my remaining bike is now center stage in the dining room!

Keep an eye on gumtree.ie as you'll be very surprised what bikes and parts appear for sale!icon12.gif

Advertisement