Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job, 7 euro an hour.. legal?

Options
  • 20-08-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Started a new part time job on monday, have since worked 25 hours with another 20 to come till sunday.. not my idea of a part time job.

Anyway, the wage rate is 7 euro an hour.
    The job is in a local supermarket and im 19 and have been working since i was 15.

After working 4 days and feeling pretty fed up, is 7 euro even legal?? And what kind of notice do i have to give if i want to leave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Maybe, copied this from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/
    The National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates:

An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)
    Are you in the first year of employment since the age of 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

omahaid wrote: »
    Maybe, copied this from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/

Are you in the first year of employment since the age of 18?

Cheers for that reply, No im in my second year and will be in my 3rd year come december...

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

only1stevo wrote: »
    Started a new part time job on monday, have since worked 25 hours with another 20 to come till sunday.. not my idea of a part time job.

The job is in a local supermarket and im 19 and have been working since i was 15.

After working 4 days and feeling pretty fed up, is 7 euro even legal?? And what kind of notice do i have to give if i want to leave?

8.65 is minimum wage but if you are 19 it is 80% of that figure which is 6.92 so technically they are being generous..no notice required unless there is a signed contract

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How do you know the rate is €7.00 per hour?
    Did you divide last weeks pay by hours worked?
    What does your pay slip say?
    Do you realise you don't get paid for breaks?

I doubt this, but did you get a contract?

Sorry for all the questions but better to know the facts before you cause ripples or jack in the job.

I wouldn't stand for €7.00 per hour

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

clevtrev wrote: »
    8.65 is minimum wage but if you are 19 it is 80% of that figure which is 6.92 so technically they are being generous..no notice required unless there is a signed contract
    If he's 19 and has been working since he has been 15 that means he is in his second year of employment over 18. Therefore he's entitled to €7.79.

OP I'd just ask them for the full minimum wage and if the refuse then demand the extra 79 cent.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How do you know the rate is €7.00 per hour?
    Did you divide last weeks pay by hours worked?
    What does your pay slip say?
    Do you realise you don't get paid for breaks?

I doubt this, but did you get a contract?

Sorry for all the questions but better to know the facts before you cause ripples or jack in the job.

I wouldn't stand for €7.00 per hour

No havent got a payslip yet.. I was told i was getting 7 an hour... No contract or anything. I dont think i will stand for it either!

Cheers Box, but can he sack me if I demand the 79 cents??

It depends. An employer can sack you within your first year of employment with them. Are you with the same employer all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'd have understood it as second year of employment in the current job as opposed to any job.

Pretty sure the OP is only there a few days, in which case the employer can let the employee go without giving reason.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't need to be the same job but I have seen union lit saying 2nd year in the same type of role ie retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Work below the age of 18 is not counted.

And if he is there less than 13 weeks, he can be let go on the spot without a reason or notice.

Thanks All, Ill probably just say it to him and if its a no i'll leave nd look elsewhere. I know theres not much going, but i just cannot stand being cheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When does the company week start and finish? Mine is Saturday to Friday, so if yours is the same, then that is two weeks work you are talking about, not one.

When does the company week start and finish? Mine is Saturday to Friday, so if yours is the same, then that is two weeks work you are talking about, not one.

Monday to Sunday im pretty sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hang on your going to quit and then look for a job?
    The employer wont care,he could probably fill your position 20 times over for 7 euro an hour

greetings wrote: »
    Hang on your going to quit and then look for a job?
    The employer wont care,he could probably fill your position 20 times over for 7 euro an hour

Sorry mistyped that, look elsewhere for a while then leave regardless of whether i find a new job or not.

i know he wont care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Gillo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'd have understood it as second year of employment in the current job as opposed to any job.
    No. What it means is that the employee is in their second year of employment in any job since they first commenced employment after turning 18. Someone who first starts work at 18 years and 6 months will be in their second year of employment at 19 years and six months regardless of changes of employer. The employer needs to take reasonable steps to ensure that they're paying the correct rate.

Advertisement