Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Starting Midfields Premiership

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Chelsea are defo the best.

It's a difficult topic to discuss as there are too many players to discuss..

It should be broke down into smaller groups like defensive/holding midfielders, attacking central midfielders and and wingers/wide forwards. In order to be a top team, I would rank those positions in terms of importance in the same order, i.e. defensive midfielder being absolutely critical for a top team.

Chelsea:
    1: Essien and Mikel
    2: Lampard, Deco and Ballack
    3: Zhirkov, Cole, Malouda, Kalou

Liverpool:
    1: Macherano, Aquilani and Lucas
    2: Gerrard and Benayoun
    3: Kuyt, Riera, Babel and El Zhar

Arsenal:
    1: Song
    2: Fabregas and Denilson
    3: Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and Walcott

Man Utd:
    1: Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Hargreaves
    2: Scholes
    3: Nani, Valencia, Park and Giggs.

City:
    1: De Jong, Kompany and Barry
    2: Ireland
    3: Robinho, Petrov and SWP

Everton:
    1: Neville and Arteta
    2: Cahill and Felliani
    3: Pienar and Osman

Spurs:
    1: Palacios, O'Hara and Huddleston
    2: Modric and Jenas
    3: Lennon and Bentley

Villa:
    1: Sidwell, Gardner andd Reo Coker
    2: Petrov and Delph
    3: Young, Milner and Downing

From the above list, it is blatantly obvious that Chelsea have the best overall midfield as they have top class options in all three areas.

Loosing Alonso drops them from near/joint top spot. Loosing Alonso is a hit but they still have two of the best players in their respective positions in the world. I still think that Liverpool are second best overall as I am confident that Aquilani will work out.

Arsenal would be very close to the top spot if they had a world class player in the 1 slot but I would rate them as 3rd.

City defo have the 4th best midfield. United are 5th with the reasoning being that they are severely lacking in attacking central midfield options.

Spurs would be 6th, Everton 7th and Villa 8th.

I think of all teams Villa have really stepped up in this department and do deserve to be higher on the list than 8th,
    certainly Milner has been very good operating centrally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

greendom wrote: »
    Good post- one minor point though Denilson was rated 4th best midfielder in the country last season for the amount of blocks and successful tackles.

Nyron Nosworthy ranked as one of the best defenders in the country the season before last pased on those type of stats.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Frisbee wrote: »
    Correct. For me it would be Chelsea.

Not sure who second, now that Liverpool have lost Alonso it's not them, and Aquilani's knees are made of marshmallow so I can see him being injured alot.
    Definitely not United second so I don't know who. Probably City?
    Thats being very presumptious about Aqualani. He may get injured but dont think any manager is going to spend that much on him if he is that injury prone.
    Re City they would be up there most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Arsenal when all fully fit.
    Great attacking midfield just lacking that quality Dm but song really is improving.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thats being very presumptious about Aqualani. He may get injured but dont think any manager is going to spend that much on him if he is that injury prone.
    Re City they would be up there most definitely.

So where has he been then?:confused:

Also take a look at his appearance/injury record for Roma, doesn't make for reassuring reading for ye.

Advertisement