Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imported birch firewood

• 20-08-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Just a taught , import birch ash or beech firewood from eastern europe ,
    its cut split and stacked in crates . check the link out .
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/10946777/Birch_Firewood.html
    Has anybody any exp on this , for there own use or for resale .
    Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

A local guy brought in a few containers of that firewood last year, think it came from latvia, it sold well locally but i think it tended to burn very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

teepee wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Just a taught , import birch ash or beech firewood from eastern europe ,
    its cut split and stacked in crates . check the link out .
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/10946777/Birch_Firewood.html
    Has anybody any exp on this , for there own use or for resale .
    Thanks .

Birch is a very poor burning wood. Its either not dry enough or too dry and like cardboard. If you could buy good ash or beech for firewood, it might be a good deal. But I think that there is currently an oversupply of wood for sale in Ireland at the moment. Prices will be very keen over the winter. There are advertisements for wood for sale all over the country.

Just my twopence worth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

reilig wrote: »
    Birch is a very poor burning wood. Its either not dry enough or too dry and like cardboard. If you could buy good ash or beech for firewood, it might be a good deal. But I think that there is currently an oversupply of wood for sale in Ireland at the moment. Prices will be very keen over the winter. There are advertisements for wood for sale all over the country.

Just my twopence worth!!

I saw an ad on a website where someone in dublin is selling 2m3 of split firewood in crates like this for €340 and small bags that would only hold 2 wheelbarrows of blocks for €130, these prices are for collection only dilevery is extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I saw an ad on a website where someone in dublin is selling 2m3 of split firewood in crates like this for €340 and small bags that would only hold 2 wheelbarrows of blocks for €130, these prices are for collection only dilevery is extra.

Wow, that's excessive. I saw 12x6 ifor williams trailers of firewood for sale around here for €100. There has to be at lease 2m3 in a trailer load.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

A local guy brought in a few containers of that firewood last year, think it came from latvia, it sold well locally but i think it tended to burn very quickly.
    Its a pretty poor reflection on irish farmers, that they cant even compete against imported firewood.

Sorry to have to say it but the fact that theres a market for imported firewood, makes irish farmers look really incompetent.

• Advertisement

Its a pretty poor reflection on irish farmers, that they cant even compete against imported firewood.

Sorry to have to say it but the fact that theres a market for imported firewood, makes irish farmers look really incompetent.
    Why do you say that? Farmers don't grow timber for firewood and there is also a law here that makes it illegal to cut down a tree over 10 years old even on your own property.

Wow, that's excessive. I saw 12x6 ifor williams trailers of firewood for sale around here for €100. There has to be at lease 2m3 in a trailer load.
    Yes 2m3 would fill a good sized double axle car trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Farmers don't grow timber for firewood
    Why not? Are they stupid or something? If foreign producers can sell into Ireland, why dont irish farmers recognise theres a market there, offer the product and compete.

Producing firewood is hardly rocket science. It tends to grow of its own accord. And Im not buying the excuse that its illegal to harvest firewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 saleen

typical know all no nothing attitude,forestry in ireland is controlled and operated by the forestry department,wood here is mainly of the softwood variety and is not very suitable for burning in stoves and open fires and also produces a lot of cresote,it is also usually very wet,imported varieties are mainly hardwood,and somewhat drier,but not always,alot of the imported wood is actually rubbish and is no better than our home grown varity,birch and alder in particular are pure crap and should not be burned at all,beech and ash are decent types and oak should not have the reputation it has as it is not a good burning wood and produces little heat,foreign workers here have seized on the oppertunity to make some easy money and are pushing rubbish wood into the market at highly inflated prices as they obviously see us as an easy soft touch,if you can get 2 cubic metres in a trailer for 100 euro grab it as this is way below market value and chances are you are only getting 1 cube.
    2 cube of softwood should weigh aprox 1 ton,beech 1.3 ton,and oak about 1.5 tons.
    the best burning wood that produces most heat and burns for a very long time comparable to coal is olive,it is expensive to buy but cheaper by far in the long run.

Why not? Are they stupid or something? If foreign producers can sell into Ireland, why dont irish farmers recognise theres a market there, offer the product and compete.

Producing firewood is hardly rocket science. It tends to grow of its own accord. And Im not buying the excuse that its illegal to harvest firewood.
    Thats a good idea only problem is that it would take 20 to 30 years to grow the trees, what will farmers do for an income while the trees are growing? As for you not buying the excuse about it being illegal to cut down trees over 10 years old, a farmer near me was taken to court and fined for doing just that the judge was even amazed that such a law existed he still fined the farmer. The farmer was cutting the trees on his property and selling them for firewood but in the end the fine was more than the profit he made from the firewood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Since there's hardly any hardwood forrestry on the go in Ireland your only hope for a good deal is sticking the saw in a fallen tree if you want good stuff. I remember years ago when the old man ( over in Belgium ) got his hands on a load of mature old variety fruit trees ( pear and apple ) from an orchard that was being felled for the construction of a shortlived equestrian yoke. The heat out of that stuff was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Wherabouts is this and do you have contact details?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

saleen wrote: »
    You have posted some good info but also a load of rubbish, Oak is a great firewood the problem is that people rarely season it for the required time, hence it doesn't burn as well as it could because the water is being driven out of it and that takes energy away from the combustion.
    Likewise unseasoned softwoods also have a bad name but correctly seasoned they burn hot and fast with little creasote buildup.
    Alder is actually a reasonable wood to burn once seasoned and beech also.
    The reason that Ash is so highly valued is that has a very low moisture content, hence the old saying 'Ash green burns fit for a queen'.
    Anyone serious about burning wood as a heat source should have a purpose built woodshed that allows the wood to dry out of the rain but with a breeze flowing around it. seasoned for a year or two most woods are perfectly capable of heating a house.
    Woodchips are made from Willow FFS! you would never think of burning a willow in an open fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 firewood4sale

I can sell jeep trailer loads holding 4 cubic metres of seasoned firewood, ready for burning in the midlands area for 180 euro(softwood) or 220 euro(hardwood mainly ash).Anyone interested or wanting more information call 087 7693931 or view longfordfirewood.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ipod

softwood and hardwood for sale.will sell it by the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

ipod wrote: »
    sortwood and hardwood for sale.will sell it by the bag.

Nothing burns like sortwood :D:D

Advertisement