Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are niteclubs too loud?

• 20-08-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I went into this niteclub the other night for the first time and it was unbelievably loud, so loud that if you went anywhere near a speaker you could feel it vibrating the leg off ya, so i can only imagine what it must do to your ears

plus the odd time you try and say somthing to someone on the dance floor, their roaring into your ear, and you feel a sharp pain, ever happen to you?

chances are if i did that every weekend ill be deaf by the time im 30.

are niteclubs too loud? 210 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    74% 156 votes
    i'm deaf so i wouldnt know
    25% 54 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye a lot of the time they are a bit too loud, no idea of most of what somebody is saying to you sometimes. Memories of pretending to know what somebodies name after she has shouted at you 3 times, er yeah, sure... course I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

formula1 wrote: »
    I went into this niteclub the other night for the first time and it was unbelievably loud, so loud that if you went anywhere near a speaker you could feel it vibrating the leg off ya,

Leg. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

you know its a good club if you can feel the bass reverberate your chest cavity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Maybe showing my age here but yeah they can be. Stooping over shouting "WHAT?" every few minutes not my idea of fun. There was this club back home which more or less played the same song for two hours and you could hear the ground shaking.

Late bars ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

A Doozer wrote: »
    Maybe showing my age here but yeah they can be. Stooping over shouting "WHAT?" every few minutes not my idea of fun. There was this club back home which more or less played the same song for two hours and you could hear the ground shaking.

Late bars ftw!

I'm about to walk out the door to go stand behind the bar of a nightclub. Believe people are so pi55ed and stupid in clubs you're better off not hearing what they say.

Although how many times has the loud music saved you when you said something really thick to a hot guy/girl?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

WHAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

CCCP^ wrote: »
    WHAT?

WOW! Music so loud in your club you its effected your eyesight :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

snyper wrote: »

Maybe he was just wearing a towel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

It's affected, affected... sheesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ask the DJ if he wouldn't mind keeping it down a smidgen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I think it's too loud when theres a ringing in your ears for hours and hours later and you can't sleep : ( but it is a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. Sometimes it's abit too loud. My hearing is crap, but in night clubs I'm pretty much forced to resort to sign language (the one for I need to go to the toilet was tough). Afterwards, you'd be able to hear the beautiful whistle of damaged eardrums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ruu wrote: »

Last person i seen do that got their zimmer frame shoved up their.. well you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Music is better louder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ruu wrote: »

My friend actually did that the other night! He was promptly told where to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the problem with a lot of clubs here is that the soundsystems are pure ****e, not necessarily its that loud.
    a lot of bass wont hurt your ears but its a sign of a good soundsystem.in a lot of nightclubs, its just a bunch of speakers turned up.

proper clubs have amazing sondsystems and are very loud but not ear piercing. the soundsystems in clubs in london/ibiza etc are amazing.your chest will vibrate with the bass but your ears are fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Definitely way too loud. It's a disaster trying to hear what your friends are saying over it. Just amazed the bar staff can still manage to take orders despite the loudness!!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Look at all you oldies. Welcome to the thirties...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm 25 and i hate clubs. I just find it deafening and my idea of a good nite is not shouting into another person's ear and vice versa. I much prefer pubs, preferably late ones. Good beer, good convo, good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

They usedn't be so loud. Mars bars were bigger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Yes way to loud......hate the ringing in my ears when I leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Music is better louder

Yeah but who goes just for the music? Which is all you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

df1985 wrote: »
    the problem with a lot of clubs here is that the soundsystems are pure ****e, not necessarily its that loud.
    a lot of bass wont hurt your ears but its a sign of a good soundsystem.in a lot of nightclubs, its just a bunch of speakers turned up.

proper clubs have amazing sondsystems and are very loud but not ear piercing. the soundsystems in clubs in london/ibiza etc are amazing.your chest will vibrate with the bass but your ears are fine!

Soundwaves make your inner ear and eardrum vibrate, so if the sound is loud enough to make your chest vibrate, its sure as hell making your eardrums vibrate. Bass is at a different frequency to treble, which makes good quality bass feel different to listening to ****e speakers playing really loud treble. It's still damaging your hearing though.:(

Was at a nightclub a couple of months ago that I'd never been in, ears were ringing for two days after, no messin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

no niteclubs are made for really loud music go to a old mans pub if u cant handle it:pif u want really loud go to the metro in tallagh jesus the vibrations:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

marko91 wrote: »
    u want really loud go to the metro in tallagh

He's talking about aurally loud as opposed to loud mullets and trainers.

Not loud enough for Snyper rogering some young one in the corner. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

I think they could do with turning it down 10% or so. I can remember in America it was way easier to talk to women when it wasn't as loud, also the women there were easier to approach.

After about 2nd yr in college we used to hit the late bars when we wanted to score. Doing so in a nightclub involves shouting and minor sexual assault on the dancefloor in order to be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Definitely way too loud. It's a disaster trying to hear what your friends are saying over it. Just amazed the bar staff can still manage to take orders despite the loudness!!

You get quite good at lipreading and also in clubs there are generally no speakers at the bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Most clubs get checked by a health and safety warden. If they are in breach of the dB limit they can get shut down or heavily fined. Maybe some clubs wing it, but most "nightclubs" have built in Limiters that limit the volume to a reasonable level that the human ear can withstand for a certain amount of hours.

In terms of bass...its easy to just turn down the tops and mids boxes and just crank the subs for bass... if thats all you want? :pac: My fav soundsytems are prob the L Acoustics rigs they have in Whelans and Button Fac. Not too harsh on your ears and can crank the crap outta em:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Most clubs get checked by a health and safety warden. If they are in breach of the dB limit they can get shut down or heavily fined. Maybe some clubs wing it, but most "nightclubs" have built in Limiters that limit the volume to a reasonable level that the human ear can withstand for a certain amount of hours.

In terms of bass...its easy to just turn down the tops and mids boxes and just crank the subs for bass... if thats all you want? :pac: My fav soundsytems are prob the L Acoustics rigs they have in Whelans and Button Fac. Not too harsh on your ears and can crank the crap outta em:cool:

So says Mr. Dublin-centric.

Leixlip actually. ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

deisedude wrote: »
    My friend actually did that the other night! He was promptly told where to go

You know Steven Gerrard?!? :eek:

Leixlip actually. ha
    So you live in the suburbs. :D

yup. smelly oul n4:pac:

• Advertisement

yup. smelly oul n4:pac:

LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

zinc.......bangin.and thats just peoples faces being banged outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

If you dont like noise, avoid niteclubs and sit in with a bloody cocoa watching one foot in the grave:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

If you dont like noise, avoid niteclubs and sit in with a bloody cocoa watching one foot in the grave:rolleyes:

That would be disgusting. Imagine the taste!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

deisedude wrote: »
    That would be disgusting. Imagine the taste!:eek:

lol............beat that terrible loud musac though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I'm only 20 and i think there too loud :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Clubs need to be less loud around the seating areas. They seem ok on the dancefloor. They need better lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

are nightclubs too loud??

Hmmm i tink the real question you should ask yourself is are your ears too sensitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

This is what is needed in clubs.

Directional audio

You can enjoy the loud music when you're on the dancefloor, step out of the beam and you can have a conversation or listen to a totally different type of music. The best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Ive heard of that stuff before, o you could try one of those "silent discos" they used to have in savoy in cork last year.
    Everyone is given headphones at the door and when you wanna hear music you put em on and dance away and when you want silence you simply take em off.
    twas very interestin to see ppl dancing around while you stand dere in silence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I wear ear plugs...:) very uncool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm 18 and I think they're too loud, it's impossible to have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Piste wrote: »
    I'm 18 and I think they're too loud, it's impossible to have a chat.
    seriously ear plugs ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Yeah because the coolest thing in the world is to get the head blasted off ya, stand in the corner getting langers until ya have enough dutch courage to not care about making a tit of yourself on the dancefloor, and then vaguely try to chance every bird in a 6 foot radius. :rolleyes:

Jaysus, in this day and age, it is actually possible to set the amps at different levels, i.e. quiet around the dancefloor and loud on it, t'aint rocket science! Im not mad about night clubs, their dwellers and the associated music, but even if im in a place with my type of music, if its blastin it still does my t1ts in and is absolutely unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Onkle wrote: »
    You get quite good at lipreading and also in clubs there are generally no speakers at the bar

I actually often find it easier to take an order from someone 10 feet away by reading their lips than from some muppet shouting in my ear.. Of course in either case you'll end up with dickheads talking through their hands or ordering while talking to someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement