Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What water pressure do we have in Ireland and what is a gravity system

Options
  • 20-08-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a kitchen sink and tap from UK, asked if tap suitable for Ireland

Answer was "Need at least 1 Bar pressure and not suitable for use on gravity fed systems."

What pressure do we have in Ireland and what is a gravity system
    Are UK and Ireland connections the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

k123456 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a kitchen sink and tap from UK, asked if tap suitable for Ireland

Answer was "Need at least 1 Bar pressure and not suitable for use on gravity fed systems."

Does the water come out of the hot tap with the same force as the cold tap? Is the force strong enough to splash you? Does a pump come on when you use the hot tap?

If yes then it's likely you have a pressurised system and the new taps should be ok.

If the force in the hot tap is lower than the cold (assuming the cold tap is mains fed or pumped) and the pressure is nowhere enough to splash then it's most likely the hot water is supplied from a gravity system in which case the new taps are no good for you.

I don't know what the mains pressure should be in Ireland but I do know it's varies greatly from one area to the next. The minimum pressure needed by my mains-fed electric shower is 1 bar and it regularily won't heat because the mains pressure is too low especially during the day/evening. A mate on the other side of town has great pressure all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The kitchen sink will work fine. You might have to buy adaptors for the waste but this is the norm with most sinks anyway! Its the tap that will be the issue
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Does the water come out of the hot tap with the same force as the cold tap? Is the force strong enough to splash you? Does a pump come on when you use the hot tap?

If yes then it's likely you have a pressurised system and the new taps should be ok.

If the force in the hot tap is lower than the cold (assuming the cold tap is mains fed or pumped) and the pressure is nowhere enough to splash then it's most likely the hot water is supplied from a gravity system in which case the new taps are no good for you.

I don't know what the mains pressure should be in Ireland but I do know it's varies greatly from one area to the next. The minimum pressure needed by my mains-fed electric shower is 1 bar and it regularily won't heat because the mains pressure is too low especially during the day/evening. A mate on the other side of town has great pressure all day.

This is the question. Unless you live in an apt or a house with pressurised water its quite likely your cold will be pressurised main but your hot will be tank fed. This means the the tap will work great on cold but sh1t on hot.

This is a commonly missed problem with all the aldi.Lidl taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

The kitchen sink will work fine. You might have to buy adaptors for the waste but this is the norm with most sinks anyway! Its the tap that will be the issue

This is the question. Unless you live in an apt or a house with pressurised water its quite likely your cold will be pressurised main but your hot will be tank fed. This means the the tap will work great on cold but sh1t on hot.

This is a commonly missed problem with all the aldi.Lidl taps.

Hi The cold is at higher pressure then hot and we dont have a pump or pressurised system. If I get a tap from UK what should I ask for : One for a non-presurised system ?. In the UK is apressure system the norm and the opposite the case here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

"Need at least 1 Bar pressure and not suitable for use on gravity fed systems."
    It'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi The cold is at higher pressure then hot and we dont have a pump or pressurised system. If I get a tap from UK what should I ask for : One for a non-presurised system ?. In the UK is apressure system the norm and the opposite the case here

You need to ask for a tap suitable for pressure at .2 bar! Bristan in the uk do one!
    Gurgle wrote: »
    It'll be fine.

How can you say that! Its not true!

• Advertisement
Advertisement