Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyuss - good album to start with

• 20-08-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've heard a lot of good things about Kyuss, but don't know any of their stuff. Can anybody recommend a good album to start with ?

Thanks
    Bowsie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

'Welcome to Sky Valley' and 'Blues For the Red Sun' are amazing albums, you can't go wrong with either one really. 'And the Circus Leaves Town' is a great album as well but not in the same league as those two in my opinion. Such a great band! Make sure to listen to them as loud as your stereo (or your neighbours) can stand.

If I had to pick one of the two to start with I'd go with Welcome to Sky Valley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would agree with Den M...although they dont really have a 'bad' album that should be avoided. I mainly listen to Blues for The Red Sun myself, so might suggest that, but Sky Valley would be up there for a first one. Should all be cheap too.

Thats from ...And The Circus Leaves Town

Den_M wrote: »
    'Welcome to Sky Valley' and 'Blues For the Red Sun' are amazing albums, you can't go wrong with either one really. 'And the Circus Leaves Town' is a great album as well but not in the same league as those two in my opinion. Such a great band! Make sure to listen to them as loud as your stereo (or your neighbours) can stand.

If I had to pick one of the two to start with I'd go with Welcome to Sky Valley.

Sorry, only quick read your post...for shame to me. Saying bout listening lous is definitely best advice, IMO this is the best heavy band in so many years. Bought an ultra-rare live cassette of theirs recently, Conan Tautmann was making the room shake violently...I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Mushy wrote: »
    Conan Tautmann was making the room shake violently...I loved it!

It's such a great song to blast at an ear bleeding volume! Preferably after breaking up with a girl that was a pain in the bum. :pac:

Den_M wrote: »
    It's such a great song to blast at an ear bleeding volume! Preferably after breaking up with a girl that was a pain in the bum. :pac:

Only have 2X 100watt speakers:pac: Maybe get the 1000 watt sub-woofer:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Cheers for the advice, will give them a spin. I've looked at a few songs on YouTube and really liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Its all about the bass, it takes you to a different place. If theres a song you should start with its 'Gardenia' that just sets you up for the whole of the 'Sky Valley' album... mmmmmm guess what Ima listen to now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Would agree with the recommendations above...you should as a starting point buy '...red sun' and '...sky valley' together...the '..circus' is good but not as good as the other two...

If ye like them...check out Torche's excellent 2008 release 'Meanderthal'...which has monster riffing a la Kyuss but with soaring vocal harmonies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No mention of Wretch? I know it's not as heroically awesome as the other three but still a solid album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Once you get done with Kyuss check out some of Garcia's other stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement