Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distro install help (ubuntu netbook remix 9.04)

• 20-08-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

First off, im a complete noob when it comes to linux distros so bear with me if i confuse you :)

Okay bit of a bck story, have a Samsung NC10 netbook that came with windows in frensh... long story. So basicially its useless to me like this and there is no way to change the gui menues to english. So i decided to try ubuntu netbook remix. Got the img file no problem, used the reccomended win32 disk imager to put the image on it. When booting up the laptop it picks up the usb key no problems at all, comes to the ubuntu language menu, click english and go onto install. As soon as i click this i get a ubuntu logs with a kind of nightrider-esque loading bar which then goes from the normal left to right.

But as soon as this is done i get a corrupt screen which looks like when the old analogue tv's had a bad signal, you could tell something was behind it... but what i have no idea. This distro (9.04) is known to work with this laptop, so i cant work otu why its not working for me. I've spent 2 hours on the ubuntu forums and google looking for a fix to this problem but no luck yet.

Anyone any ideas at all? As im downloading easy peasy to see if that works.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Update:

Tried putting the img on a usb key using UNetbootin, get to the install screen and get is something like /ubinit ....................................... (they go on non stop for 10 mins till i turn it off)

Trying easy peasy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Did you check the md5sum of the image? Maybe it got corrupted when it was downloaded? I don't know much about UNR or netbooks, so I probably won't be much help...

You should repost this on the ubuntu forums though if you haven't already, they're usually fairly helpful.

Actually, was just looking at the wiki, it's doesn't seem too helpful...
    But as soon as this is done i get a corrupt screen which looks like when the old analogue tv's had a bad signal, you could tell something was behind it... but what i have no idea. This distro (9.04) is known to work with this laptop, so i cant work otu why its not working for me. I've spent 2 hours on the ubuntu forums and google looking for a fix to this problem but no luck yet.

I was just thinking, the installer might not have detected your monitor settings properly. Is there an option to do a text based install. It wouldn't be that hard to do if there was, and it would probably solve your problem. If it won't let you do that ( I've a feeling ubuntu doesn't unless you get a special .iso) then there should be some command like options at the start that let you choose between vga or vesa for the graphics or something like that.

Try messing around with that and it might fix your problem, or just post up here what options it gives you at the start.

Ive tried Easy peasy and its givign me some hassle, so ive decided to ditch that and try UNR again.

Just tried the md5sum now and 8f921e001aebc3e98e8e8e7d29ee1dd4 matches with whats on ubuntuhashes, ive tried formating the usb key to fat instead of fat32 but that makes no difference either.

Okay, so ive got the laptop booting from the usb key now. On screen is a language selection chose english, then went into "F4 Modes" and selected Safe graphics or somethign along those lines.

Seems to go a bit further now, screen dosen't go corrupt and it seems to be a cmd installer. Went through a few pages of scrolling text, no idea what it said though.

now its stopped on a pge with [ 2.823933] Longhauk: APIc detected. Longhaul is currently broken in this configuration. them soem more spiel about ubuntu havign free softwarem no warrenty blah blah.

And at the bottom i have :

ubuntu@ubuntu@~$

So im guessing whatever longhaul is, its not allowing the install to go any further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I got that messed up display when installing ubuntu on my laptop. What I did was hit ctrl+alt+f1 to switch to the text console and then ctrl+alt+f7 to go back to graphical and that fixed it. It's worth a try.

Thanks for that, it dosen't work though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

odd.

running ubuntu remix 9.04 on a vanilla nc10 which went on grand first time!
    Sorry to hear you have are having so many headaches.

Have you tried another usb stick on the off chance it just hates it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This might help. Bit of a pain in the fanny that. Wouldn't have expected any trouble tbh.

Yeah have tried 3 other keys now too same problem. Am giving this 4th one a try now to see if i get anymore luck.

Cheers Khannie, but whats a fbdev driver? and how do i start an install with it? Im guessing follow the SVN instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NC20

I'm really clueless when it comes to anythign other then windows, so put things in kiddy english if needed i wont get offened much ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Just a suggestion, possibly try Ubuntu 8.10.

okay gonna download that now and give i a shot. What was mentioned on the ubunto NC20 section dosent work for me at all. Keep getting errors on all the steps after doing the sudo apt-get install parts :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

When you got to here,

ubuntu@ubuntu@~$

Did you try typing "help" or "install" maybe? Help should give you a list of available commands, do "help | less" if there's loads.

Surprising it's causing you so much trouble, ubtunu prides itself in being user friendly like! "Linux for human beings" or something like that.

yeah that was one of the first things i tried when i got to the cmd prompt, install did nothing, loads of help stuff but nothing i could find of any use, or knwo what to do with :p

Just tried 8.10 get the splash screen, gives no options at all for install or live then sits on a screen listing the following:

Backtrace:
    0: /user/in/X(xf86sighandler+0x6e) [0x80be21e]

And abother 12 lines of stuff, then a message at the bottom saying "Saw signal 11. Server aborting"

line 11 is :

11: /user/bin/X(main+0x267) [0x8071b07]

I really have no idea what to do next, If only i could change windows xp from french to english i'd be happy as larry.

Oh, just tried it again there and when installing i seen kerner event manager - failed.

Now i've got no clue what that means, but im guessing its not good. And after that i now have a white screen. *shakes fist*

tried DSL too, no luck with that either :/

Are there any distros out there that can be installed in windows from a network location or external hdd?

Have you tried Moblin?

http://moblin.org/

You could also try installing Ubuntu via Wubi (an internet install inside the Windows filesystem that you access from a dual-boot menu).

You could also try the Ubuntu alternate install, it's a text based installer:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso

How hard is the text based installer, and bear in mind ive never done this before and know next to nothing about all this?

Anti wrote: »
    How hard is the text based installer, and bear in mind ive never done this before and know next to nothing about all this?

It's not too difficult, check the screenshots down towards the end of this page:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p14.html

It's pretty much exactly the same as the standard install, but not requiring the fancier graphics.

Gave the wubi installer a go and have managed to get it to duel boot, only problem now is that im being asked for a login and password, the ones i setup with the installer do not seem to be working at all :(

*edit*

Managed to get in after about 10 tried of the same UN and PW. But now im at [EMAIL="User@ubuntu:~$"]User@ubuntu:~$[/EMAIL]

cant seem to get past that, ctrl alt f7 just brings me to a blank screen :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think startx from the @ubuntu~$ command should try to run the UI and show any errors if it has them?

Thanks Bop, I tried that and i get the following:
    init: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error.

So im guessing that X hasn't been installed, and i guess X is the ubuntu gui?
    So i probbaly need to sudo apt-get install X.

When i try this i get:
    Reading package lists ... Deone
    Building dependancy tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package X

Anyone any ideas from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Maybe try googling the error there...

Hmm, never done these before myself but to configure X:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Or try installing/reinstalling:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
    or
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg

Thanks for yoru help again Bop, Tried the reinstall and it says it cannot connect. So i tried the reconfiguer, went through a few options and stuff then finished. Did a startx and it seems to start loading the UI and then went all corrupted again. Is it always like this when trying to install one of these distros, or am i just unlucky?

Oh yeah when i ctrl alt f1 i also get a
    (EE) Chrome(0): Unknown Cards-Lds (1122:144D:C04E) Please report ti openchrome-users@openchrome.org
    (EE) [drm[ drmOpen failed.
    (EE) CHROME(0): [dri] DRIscreenInit Failed. Disabling DRI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Try unetbootin and the full Ubuntu image, not the netbook remix.

Tried that, and pretty much the same problem again. No matter what distro i seem to use X seems to be the common problem. Bollocks to this lunix malarky, im just gonna throw xp back on it.

Thank for all your help lads, its much appreciated.

Anti wrote: »
    Tried that, and pretty much the same problem again. No matter what distro i seem to use X seems to be the common problem. Bollocks to this lunix malarky, im just gonna throw xp back on it.

Thank for all your help lads, its much appreciated.

Looks like it's your best bet alright. It's strange that it's reported to work on other similar machines though.

Advertisement