Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare is too much!

Options
  • 21-08-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Ok, first off, I'm unemployed. I've been out of work since the start of this year and I've spent my time either searching for work or training in new skills.

My girlfriend has a job, since the recession kicked in, her employer (a multinational) has started to really take the piss, 12 hour days, no lunch breaks most days, promotion with no raise, she's completely stressed out and stuck there because there is nothing else around.

We used to live together, but since her income (26k) would be counted in my means test for benefits, we had to move apart (which really really hurt to be honest). With her on 26k, I wouldn't have got a cent in benefits, even though our finances have always been quite separate.

Here is the thing, we were having a chat the other evening about how her job sucked and she hates it but she's stuck and about how I can't get a job and about how living apart sucks etc etc. and I realised that if she quit work, after a few weeks, we could live together again, we'd both get benefits along with rent money and medical cards, she'd get some tax back. We could take it easy for a while. She is from Spain, so we could head over there to her sisters house for a couple of months and still get Irish benefits while we relax on the beach. And all in all, our quality of life and household income would INCREASE substantially!

I don't think either one of us could bring ourselves to sponge like that, but I'm sure that many could. I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but welfare needs to be tackled hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I'm sure you'll be preaching to the choir here, but all credit is due for your honesty.

Maybe you might bring your opinion to the table on how you'd feel about a welfare-to-work scheme (under discussion in the politics forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

djk1000,

I completely understand your point of view.

After I pay my mortgage and bills and run a car to get me to work. I have 150 or so left over. I can't help but think of friends who get rent allowance, dole and all other available benefits and seem to have more money than me.

The only thing i would say is your GF would not be entitled to dole if she quit her post. She would have to be let go by the company first.

Advertisement