Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stupid of me.. (Phil Lynott)

Options
  • 21-08-2009 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well not actually stupid, been celebrating my daughters 14th birthday..

So anyway, lets commerate one of Dublin's own..

Phil Lynott - Dublin (I love this song).

He would have been celebrating his 60th birthday tonight.

thinstatue.jpg

Happy Birthday Phil Lynott.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Happy Birthday Philo :(

Philo is my hero, and in my opinion the greatest Dub of them all and i've been out toasting his honour tonight.

Dublin hasn't been the same without him, which as the most loyal and proud Dubliner i know, is as big a tribute as i can pay to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy birthday Phil

My Mam used to meet him on the bus in Whitehall coming back from work and my Dad was asked to mind his guitar one night when he had to nip out for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Anto McC wrote: »

Philo is my hero, and in my opinion the greatest Dub of them all and i've been out toasting his honour tonight.

Dublin hasn't been the same without him, which as the most loyal and proud Dubliner i know, is as big a tribute as i can pay to him.
    Did you know him? A serious question.
    RIP Phil Lynott. Sadly I wasnt in Dublin nor am I old enough to remember him when alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A better and clearer version of the song I posted above.

phil-lynott.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

im in chicago and just seen an ad in the paper today for a night to celebrate his birthday.

think il go now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

**** your U2 Snow Patrol etc, Phil Lynott was the greatest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I know a woman that shagged him, apparrantly he wasn't that good in bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

RIP Philo

Legend.

side note: I just read a book recently by Shay Byrne, Miracle of Fatima Mansions, Philo gets mentioned a bit as the author used to go to his gigs. Good book .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Happy Birthday Phil.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I met the man once in The (old) bailey pub off Grafton street , shortly before his death .

Great memories and I ' love ol Dublin town '

Happy birthday Phil .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

My mam loves telling me the story of when Phil and myself shared a moment when i was 2 years old. We were in Grafton street and i was in the pram when he was doing one of his usual walks through the street and as he was passing us he looked at me and did a little wave to me which i returned being the cheerful toddler that i was. Obviously it was years later when i learned about him and when one of his songs came on the radio she told me all about it - just a shame i wasn't that bit older so that i could remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

60 years old, damn... You could have said he'd be 100 today, but that image of Philo will never change. :D

R.I.P. mate.

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    I know a woman that shagged him, apparrantly he wasn't that good in bed :D

thestupiditburns.jpg

I think any other Moderator on any other forum here would have infracted/warned or banned you for that remark, or at best, deleted it. - I'll just leave it be so you can stew in its ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

The King of Cool .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

There's an art exhibition in Stephens Green Shopping Centre for him.Went this morning. It's up top where the paintings usually are. There's a few paintings of him and then there's his old bass and some pics too. It's not brilliant but it's not bad. It's free btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What a great tune. Respect.

Trying to find the vid of Old Town too. Wherever I am when I hear it, I instantly think of Dublin.

I always think of it when I have a pint in the Long Hall because I love that bit where he's staring morosely into his jar in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone else at the free tribute gig in Stephen's Green SC last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

There used to be a quiet room down the back of Sutton church for parents to bring their loud kids. We used it most Sundays back in the 80s and Phil and his family used it too. My Mam says I used to chase his daughter Sarah around the room while stopping and staring at the black man, sitting a couple of rows behind my folks, like he'd 2 heads,

He's buried a couple of plots away from my Granny and Grandad in St Fintans cemetary. It's amazing, I don't visit their plot that often now, but anytime I do, Phil's mother is always there preening his grave, a mother so proud of their son and his achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

thestupiditburns.jpg

I think any other Moderator on any other forum here would have infracted/warned or banned you for that remark, or at best, deleted it. - I'll just leave it be so you can stew in its ignorance.

No room for a bit of sense of humour here no?

Re: Old Town, apparently the record company actively take down any versions of the video from youtube.. dunno why, may be planning a DVD release or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

thestupiditburns.jpg

why it's a true story, people are sharing their stories, that's my story, it was in the early 1970s, the band hadn't really become big yet but Phil was a big face on the scene

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Anto McC wrote: »

I'm sorry but why are you all celebrating a guy who did copious of drugs and and drank too much alcohol? he died because of this abuse, hardly something to be proud of. How on earth is he "the greatest Dub of them all" if he brought shame on himself and his family by becoming a junkie and a alcoholic. He wasn't even born or raised in Ireland anyway.

I'm sorry but why are you all celebrating a guy who did copious of drugs and and drank too much alcohol? he died because of this abuse, hardly something to be proud of. How on earth is he "the greatest Dub of them all" if he brought shame on himself and his family by becoming a junkie and a alcoholic. He wasn't even born or raised in Ireland anyway.

MUST ... CONTROL ... RAGE ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Can someone please answer to me how is he "the greatest Dub of them all" when he abused drugs and alcohol and wasn't born or raised here?

I'm not trying to troll here, im just genuinely interested in the response

Can someone please answer to me how is he "the greatest Dub of them all" when he abused drugs and alcohol and wasn't born or raised here?

The man is a true Dublin legend. So what if he made some bad decisions in his life, people fúck up all the time, he's no different. But to use this to play down his musical achievements and why we sould be proud of him is ridicilous. He is a true Dub, he may not have been born here, but he lived most of his adult life here and raised his children here. Thats good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

He was raised in Dublin,from the age of 3 or 4 if memory serves me,and his Mother was from crumlin,does that not count as being a Dubliner?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A better and clearer version of the song I posted above.

phil-lynott.jpg

Never heard this version, nice one.

Am I the only one disgusted that JCD are using his statue in their free bikes ad's?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't Éamon de Valera born a yank ;) - he went on to become pretty damned Irish too!!!.

And if you wish, we can wait until St. Patricks day to debate the Patron Saint of Ireland's birth place ;)

As for abusing drink and drugs, dammit The Dubliners were infamous hell raisers in their younger years... In fact Brendan Behan celebrated playwrite, poet & novelist enjoyed the odd tipple too!.

Your onto a loser my friend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wouldn't give him the "Greatest...etc myself" but that's neither here nor there but it has nothing to do with substance abuse or place of birth. He was involved in R'n'R ffs. If it's clean living and wholesomeness that's gonna grab the top Dub award that leaves us with Ronan Keating?!
    Drug abuse...so what? It's weakness, it's attitude, it's being human, it's living it at full throttle, it's giving it socks. Who in they're right mind wants their R'n'R stars singing about jesus and how good a fresh smoothie makes them feel tip top? Bunch of arse.

Why do some people rate him? Connectivity...they connect with good base lines and simple lyrics delivered with an accent we know.

On this cleaner than clean scale of accreditation of yours then that would make The Jonas Brother's New Jersey's greatest. New Jersey!!! Represented by The Jonas Brothers!!!?? FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the story with the movie about Philo???

its been on the shelf for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Man was a legend,pure rock god.

My mam got me into some classic rock when i was younger,hendrix,pink floyd,led Zep etc but i'm most thankful she gave me thin lizzy albums to listen to.

My stepdad even had a pint or two with him one night.
    Seemed like a nice guy,its a real shame the way in which his life ended.

Advertisement