Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gym are you a member of in Cork city?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, I'm moving to cork in a few weeks and i want to find a nice gym and swimming pool that has cheap enough student membership, anybody know somewhere? thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The Clarion is nice.
    600 for a student membership which is crazy cause how many students do u know with 600 to spend on anything>?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The jury inn on the western road,NRG,Im on a 3 month membership,hoping I can get the funds together and go for a full membership in october.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Shouldnt your college have a gym?

Mine is in the Maldron up the north side..
    Nice staff, good equipment and generally decent people using the place.
    Gym, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and pool. They have evening fitness classes too AFIK, I think in kick boxing and the like.

Up front I think its about 4/500e for 12months or 50e a month DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

silversprings has everything u want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm a member in the Mardyke (doesn't cost extra for UCC students, not sure what their rates are for other students.) and it is pretty good once the over-crowding at the start of term dies down.
    http://www.mardykearena.com/static/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im a member of Oakgrove in blackrock. www.oakgroveleisure.ie
    v. good. Best to join somewhere near whereever you will live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Shouldnt your college have a gym?

Mine is in the Maldron up the north side..
    Nice staff, good equipment and generally decent people using the place.
    Gym, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and pool. They have evening fitness classes too AFIK, I think in kick boxing and the like.

Up front I think its about 4/500e for 12months or 50e a month DD.
    No only proper colleges have gyms, not the made up Mickey Mouse ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I'm with Planet Health, not sure what their student rates are like though.

keep away from leisureworld in bishopstown if you want to do weights, when they were extending i though they might put decent weights section in but they didnt. was home in may and went there 3 times cos i wanted to use the pool after but even 10 or 11 in the morning it was difficult to do a weights programme so i could imagine what it was like during peak hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

me? member of a gym? are you having a laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

I just joined River's Edge yesterday! €200 for a years membership :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ✭✭KieranIRL

Im a member of Leisureworld, it has a good gym a good size pool. Theres a special offer on now at the moment for a student is 290 for 9 months and u can go anytime during the day. Theres another off there aswell for 200 for 9 months but thats only off peak times. (mon-fri until 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

The Mardyke gym is pretty savage in fairness, i have membership from being a UCC student like

Bill-e wrote: »
    The Clarion is nice.

I was a member there for 3 years, only when I left did I realise what a sh1thole it was. The actual gym is shocking from a weights perspective. The sauna is frequently out of order and there is a damp problem on the walls near the dressing room entrance from the pool which they were "working on" for two years. Also the regular sauna frequenters in the evening are foul mouthed ole cnuts that think they own the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Really about the Clarion?

Im looking at Sanovitae @ the Clarion, NGR @ Jurys and The Club in Maryborough. Any thoughts?

Yep.
    I was a member there until last April, moved to Galway for work so joined NRG up there, I use NRG in Jurys at the weekends when I am down in Cork. NRG is Jurys is different class to the Clarion, huge gym, very airy with windows (San Vitae is in the basement, no windows and sometimes you get a stinky smell off the river). NRG is Galway is ok, it's a gym gym in an apartment complex rather than a hotel gym. As I said though Jurys NRG is very good, can't fault it. Although I am told midweek evenings are rather busy. They're all like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

RoverJames wrote: »
    Jurys is different class to the Clarion, huge gym, very airy with windows

The windows give you a look at a yard behind Jurys. Hardly airy.
    As I said though Jurys NRG is very good, can't fault it.

I can. I joined for 3 months. I found the staff really didn't give a sh*t about me, or organising a training programme for me. Not only that, but the reception staff are so snooty it's frightening. You'd swear they were on thousands per week with the attitude behind the counter. I forgot my key code once to the locker, and the smarmy smug smile I got from the girl behind the counter was beyond belief - followed up with sarcasm.

In fairness I wasn't referring to the view, I was saying it was airy. It's on the first floor anyway so the view is trees and skyline from 90% of the equipment. Defo preferable to no windows at all. It is defo airy, the glass area is quite large.

I couldn't agree with you about the staff either. I find the weekend staff very friendly. Also I forgot the pin for my locker one day myself and found the staff very helpful. That day it was two ladies so after confirming there was no nude chaps in there they had no problem opening the locker.
    Couldn't fault them at all, can't comment about the fitness routined and that as I have never asked any of the advice, I would be surprised if they were not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Was a member of Planet for 3 years! The place has gone awful lately! The management are running it into the ground with their antics! One in particular on the desk is so damn rude(managers wife) and have heard stories from loads of people. The place is dirty, was looking at the same mildew by the free weights for 6 months! Its got busy during the day which isn't helpful for me because im on shift and go around 12. Combined with showers blowing hot and cold, ignorant people in the weights and the general bad attitude in the place i said it was time for a change.

Joined NRG 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier! Its a little smaller but has a much better set up! It's not as busy when i go which is a help! The place is spotless and staff are all friendly. So far im delighted that i bit the bullet as i wa using convienience as an excuse to stay in Planet.

I know i might sound whingy, but i really enjoyed Planet but in the last year it has gone to the dogs!! For €89 a month i got a couple rate compared to €47(off peak) and €67(full) that we were paying respectfully. I hope Planet clean their act up soon coz i saw a few ex members in NRG over the 3 weeks i've been there!

the more i hear about the clarion the crapper it sounds, but i will organise a tour pronto.

So Im based in Douglas, looking for a good gym, student rates, and pref private, i.e very few people i know will use it [most friends use CarrigCourt, Leisureworld or Maradyke].

Maryborough is very exclusive [their words,not mine]. Liking the set up, but its verrrrry expensive, were talking 750 p.a for a student, 63e monthly directd. Maryborough hill is a bitch to get to tho. Bus stops are a trek from the hotel.

Clarion is shaping up to be 550p.a with no joining fee, or 503 monthly dd.
    Close to the bus station, but its not sounding like a nice spot

NRG looks good, no prices yet, will ring tomo. Only problem is i will be nowhere near the place come summer when college is over......

• Advertisement

When you get the tour off them if the dampness is still by the pool ask them how long has it been like that, the we are working on a solution to this problem was a bit of a joke after two years. If you're female you defo won't enjoy the "banter" in the sauna in the evenings circa 7 to 9 pm (7 days a week) when the regulars gather.

When you get the tour off them if the dampness is still by the pool ask them how long has it been like that, the we are working on a solution to this problem was a bit of a joke after two years. If you're female you defo won't enjoy the "banter" in the sauna in the evenings circa 7 to 9 pm (7 days a week) when the regulars gather.

All they ever do is talk about golf and really boring crap like their kids.

@baileyjackson: Have you looked into Nemo's gym? I've heard good things but there's no pool...

Dunno about the golf and kids, the regulars I am referring to only speak about trips to Thailand, Spain from a sleazy viewpoint. Also any lady who has the misfortune of going into the sauna gets hit with a load of double entendres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I go to the Kinsgley, love it in there! Great selection of weights and classes and the outdoor hot tub is nice for relaxing too.

Dunno about the golf and kids, the regulars I am referring to only speak about trips to Thailand, Spain from a sleazy viewpoint. Also any lady who has the misfortune of going into the sauna gets hit with a load of double entendres.
    Jeez Louweez:eek:

I've never been in there after work... Even tho I'm full membership :\

The lads in there during the day seem grand. If not a little boring.

Bill-e wrote: »
    Jeez Louweez:eek:

I've never been in there after work... Even tho I'm full membership :\

The lads in there during the day seem grand. If not a little boring.

I think I specified between 7 and 9 pm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

The Maryborough Club is my gym, 1300 euro a year for full adult membership. It's a good gym, never gets too busy and is close to where I live. The staff are very well qualified, small towels for use in the gym are provided, large towels for showering afterwards are also provided, sauna and steam room are new, gym uses all technogym equipment. assesments are always free (no limit), classes including pilates, yoga, body toning, conditioning, running are all free, you sign up week to week for what you want to do. You also get discounts on Spa usage, the Maryborough Spa is the nicest spa i've ever been in, and i've stayed in five star hotels across five continents! that about covers it i think.

douglasman wrote: »
    The Maryborough Club is my gym, 1300 euro a year for full adult membership. It's a good gym, never gets too busy and is close to where I live. The staff are very well qualified, small towels for use in the gym are provided, large towels for showering afterwards are also provided, sauna and steam room are new, gym uses all technogym equipment. assesments are always free (no limit), classes including pilates, yoga, body toning, conditioning, running are all free, you sign up week to week for what you want to do. You also get discounts on Spa usage, the Maryborough Spa is the nicest spa i've ever been in, and i've stayed in five star hotels across five continents! that about covers it i think.

Thanks, I will definitely look into it :D

A student considering €1300 / annum for gym membership, Celtic Tiger isn't dead yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

A student considering €1300 / annum for gym membership, Celtic Tiger isn't dead yet :D

Maybe he's a pioneer and doesn't need the €1300 for booze :D

Advertisement