Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gym are you a member of in Cork city?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

RoverJames wrote: »
    A student considering €1300 / annum for gym membership, Celtic Tiger isn't dead yet :D

As I said earlier, its 750€ for students in maryborough which is still crazy.

Not a pioneer, but there will be a lot less going out if im down 750. Luckily paying by DD will help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Fitnessworx in Donnybrook for me. They've got tonnes of weight, about 10 oly bars, loads of kettlebells and you can play whatever music you like... ticks all the boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I cancelled my membership today in Leisureworld as I`ve had enough of the crap thats been gathering lately.
    The hygiene has gone downhill, there`s crowding day and night as said above and to top it all off they`ve gotten rid of the deli counter and got prepacked food in instead.

I`m living in Glounthaune and am thinking about the silversprings/rochestown park. I`m primarily looking for a good weight room if anyone knows where`s best,

Cheers,
    Will.

Not many gyms with deli counters if that's what your looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

I use the Montonotte Hotel up in St. Lukes. Small, quiet, nice staff, nice members.......it's like the anti-Silversprings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I`m living in Glounthaune and am thinking about the silversprings/rochestown park. I`m primarily looking for a good weight room if anyone knows where`s best,

Cheers,
    Will.

Mardyke is very good. Avoid between 6pm and close monday to friday, students everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not many gyms with deli counters if that's what your looking for :D

pmsl,,,,ha ha, ah that was really the last straw when it came to cutbacks.
    donglen wrote: »
    I use the Montonotte Hotel up in St. Lukes. Small, quiet, nice staff, nice members.......it's like the anti-Silversprings.
    sounds just like what I`m looking for, thank you.
    104494431 wrote: »
    Mardyke is very good. Avoid between 6pm and close monday to friday, students everywhere.
    I`ve heard before it was great if only it weren`t so crowded, thanks for the info lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Im a member of Oakgrove in blackrock. www.oakgroveleisure.ie
    v. good. Best to join somewhere near whereever you will live.

I was looking at this place on the net recently - how much does it cost if you don't mind me asking? It doesn't say on the site. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

My bed room :P

Im probably going to get a load of hate for this, but i really don't see the point in a gym!

All you need is your body and a couple of minor things, which is comparison to the price of joining a gym is nothing!

I lift weights, alot. So I bought a bench and 100kg worth of weights. Its a foldable bench. All of that cost €270.
    I also bought a chin up bar for my door way ( i'd swear by it!) Only cost €20 and its the most useful thing out there!
    Then there's the simple push ups/ sit ups and millions of variations that you dont need a gym for!

From a cardio perspective, buy a good pair of runner's and go crazy :P Join a club, soccer, basketball, boxing, martial arts!

All those machines in a gym are just there to make things easier cause you know exactly what to do on them, fair enough! But with a same bit of research you can find out simple and easy ways to maximize performance without the costs!
    I just think that a gym is pointless when you can spend half the money on perfectly good equipment and have that equipment for life rather then renewing your gym fee!

Its also alot more economical :P No drive's to the gym! Its there to do at your leisure!

So my advice to you would be to go to mahers fitness, or even pick up an argos catalog and just look over the price of a bench+ weights/ or even the simple chin up bars and such, and compare it too the price of a gym!

Just my opinion! Sorry for taking it a little off topic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

leahyl wrote: »
    I was looking at this place on the net recently - how much does it cost if you don't mind me asking? It doesn't say on the site. Thanks

When I joined it was 635 annual peak, 490 annual off-peak and there was a joining fee of about 75 euro. It's a grand wee gym, never overly busy and a real mixture of folks of all ages so it's not as intimidating as other gyms might perhaps be. The only problem I have is the daggers I get from some of the more 'hardcore' members when I dare to step on the one sprinting treadmill when they want to use it :rolleyes: and the showers are a bit hit and miss. Other than that I'd recommend it - definitely one of the nicer gyms I've used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pow wow wrote: »
    When I joined it was 635 annual peak, 490 annual off-peak and there was a joining fee of about 75 euro. It's a grand wee gym, never overly busy and a real mixture of folks of all ages so it's not as intimidating as other gyms might perhaps be. The only problem I have is the daggers I get from some of the more 'hardcore' members when I dare to step on the one sprinting treadmill when they want to use it :rolleyes: and the showers are a bit hit and miss. Other than that I'd recommend it - definitely one of the nicer gyms I've used.

Cool thanks for that - 635 is a bit steep though for me and i've joined a gym before and not made enough use of it so....there are classes there too right? Do you know anything about these? What are the choices, prices etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

The opening hours are a bit restricted in Oakgrove compared to a lot of other gyms,
    It used to be closed on Friday afternoons to allow them to run swimming classes for kids and was only open to 9 during the week when I was a member which means being finished at 8:30 to allow you to get showered changed.
    I found that a bit annoying when it was more expensive than other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I think you get 4 classes per week included for 'free' with your membership but they dictate to you which ones are free and the times are kinda sporadic, it could be 7am on a Monday, lunchtime on a Wednesday etc. which may not suit depending on what you're doing with your free time outside the gym! I know other gyms have all their classes included in the membership fee but at Oakgrove it's only the 4 they choose (it's the same 4 for everyone).

I think it's open til 10pm ish now but it does still close on Friday afternoons as they have kiddies swimming classes on.

If you drop them a quick email to the info address on the site they'll whizz over all the info or if you like you can PM me your email addy and I'll send over what they sent me about 6 months ago. I think it's a good 'starter' gym in that they're used to all abilities and needs - my first gym was a horrible chain one in the UK where if you weren't ripped and head to toe in lycra you weren't in!

Advertisement