Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Toast were to buy????

Options
  • 21-08-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

Ok just back from Spain and got a taste for French Toast, Now I know Tescos used to do their own brand a few years back and Cuisine de France did their own boxes, but can't locate them in Superquinn, Dunnes or Tescos. Any ideas where I can pick some up around Dubline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's a lot nicer if you make your own, and quite easy too - A bowl, bread, eggs and a frying pan, then whatever you want on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,447 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had no idea you could buy it ready made.
    Home-made FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ready made French Toast?!? What's the world coming to?

In our house we call it 'eggy bread'. Make your own. Far nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

What the Americans call ' French Toast ' ie eggy bread/eggy toast I think is different to what the OP is refering to. ( OP I am open to correction here )

Tescos used to do ( may still do ) boxes of hard toast type things more akin to a cracker / crispbread / breadstick than bread. These were called French Toast.

OP sorry no idea where to get them ... but I hope I have cleared up any misunderstanding ( if there was any )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ah, you mean 'Melba' toast?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Oh thank god I thought it was some pre made egg bread situation in which case I would of had to kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,447 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it is melba toast, i'd still go with make your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

you can also make your own melba toast, my mother's been doing it for years.
    toast slice pan bread as usual in toaster
    slice it along the "depth" of the bread, ie thinning it out.
    pop back into toaster with the untoasted sides facing the toast bars but in the same slot
    (ie the toasted sides facing/touching each other0
    allow to cool and you have crunchy melba toast!

works better with white bread rather than brown.

Might take you a few attempts to get right so prepare for lots of burnt bread!!!

-Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

If it is Melba toast your after I have gotten it in dunnes blanchardstown it's with the cream crackers and that sort of stuff on the biscuit isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

What the Americans call ' French Toast ' ie eggy bread/eggy toast I think is different to what the OP is refering to. ( OP I am open to correction here )

Tescos used to do ( may still do ) boxes of hard toast type things more akin to a cracker / crispbread / breadstick than bread. These were called French Toast.

OP sorry no idea where to get them ... but I hope I have cleared up any misunderstanding ( if there was any )

Correct it's not the American "French Toast" and its not melba toast it looks like mini toasted bread, if your on Holiday in Spain you'll see loads, I've seen it in hotels at buffet breakfasts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

did you try france ? :pac:

try a farmers market :)

Advertisement