Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Fat Depressed Middle Aged Jerks

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:15am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

at least they finally figured us out

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/study-games-are-depressing-or-are-they-/1346074
    Study: Games are depressing...or are they?

by Mike Smith

Buzz up!

August 20 10:42 A.M.
    Depressed

The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns."

It also indicated a curious difference between male and female gamers: the former proved more overweight and reported more Internet usage than non-gamer men, while female gamers reported more depression and lower general health than non-gamer women.

But which comes first, the games or the poor health? The researchers hypothesized that depressed individuals might be turning to games as a means of self-medication, immersing themselves in a game's world as a way of forgetting about real-life troubles.

"Habitual use of video games as a coping response may [provide] a genesis for obsessive-compulsive video-game playing, if not video-game addiction," one researcher told MSNBC. The study calls for "further research among adults to clarify how to use digital opportunities more effectively to promote health and prevent disease."

As luck would have it, a study at East Carolina University funded by Bejeweled maker Popcap Games is also investigating the possible mental health benefits of game playing. Having already discovered that Bejeweled can improve mood and heart rhythms, the Carolina group is about to embark on an investigation in an attempt to determine whether games like Bejeweled can also deliver clinically significant improvements to depression sufferers.

"The research is part of a broad array of unconventional efforts that video game companies are devising to find new markets for their products," says Shankar Vedantam, writing this week for the Washington Post. "Many of these steps are based on the idea that depression and other disorders -- as well as everyday stress and worry -- involve systematic patterns of thought and self-doubt, and that games can distract people and put them in a different mental zone."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

These researchers have way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

who let them talk to Kinetic ffs

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not going to post again for 13 years, have lost my girlfriend and my job, replaced it with 10 extra stone, have moved back home and bought some grey pants.

So yea I pretty each agree these dildo's shouldn't be spending a cent researching inane drivel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

blizzcon_day0_006.jpg

Actually the first pics from Blizzcon have shut me right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

(not reading it just yet)
    But yeah... horribly misleading title. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Maybe if they focused more on making original and exciting games instead of putting all their time into advertising and pointless market research we wouldn't be so depressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Oi Fat Depressed Middle Aged Jerks" - WoW forum that way --->
    wow-jenkins.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

fcuking wow!

This thread had me thinking of it and ofc the all the news from blizzcon that Kotaku was blogging about.

Nearly 1 year clean of WoW. Never touching an mmo again and the new expansion made me feel i was right to leave. Though the reason i left was more due to the players then the game itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Never liked the look of it. Can't really spend hours playing something you despise the whole aesthetic of. Even if I am a bit tubby, getting on etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Seattle! LOL! It's supposed to have 1 of the highest suicide rates in the US. Good choice newbie researcher.

Menefail, F10 from life please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement