Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between Australia and New Zealand

Options
  • 21-08-2009 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Anyone lived in both?

Im talking about

*Salary
    *Cost of living
    *Quality of life
    *City life
    *Rent
    *Activities

Where would compare best to Melbourne for instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Ment to reply to this sooner...
    pay for me is pretty similar to what i was getting in australia. I have heard of a thing here called ' brain drain' where alot of uni graduates move abroad, so there is some demand here for certain qualified people, so salaries might be higher for these jobs, but with the recession now, im not sure. I havent really looked into it alot.
    cost of living... A weekly shop usually costs about 120 nzd a week, thats from wollies, which would be the most expensive id say. Phone credit is a killer her, alot more expensive, the special offers are not as good as oz. 2 networks, with similar prices. its 89 cent a min to call home though which i thing is cheaper than oz.
    rent for me it 100 a week, for a room in a house in a town 25 min outside cc. Im only here a month myself so im still finding my feet here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thanks alot man, I appreciate you taking the time to reply especially seeings as how you had todig up the thread.

Im seriously weighing up the options now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Anyone lived in both?

Im talking about

*Salary
    *Cost of living
    *Quality of life
    *City life
    *Rent
    *Activities

Where would compare best to Melbourne for instance?

There's no city in NZ that comes anywhere near to how vibrant Melbourne is in my opinion. I lived in Wellington and in the Bay of Plenty for a year, also spent 6 months in Melbourne.

There's a lot of outdoor stuff to do in NZ, and you can drive anywhere in the country, unlike Oz.
    The thing is though Melb is in Victoria and you can pretty much do most of the activities there that you can do in NZ! Vic has world class surfing, skiing (not as good as NZ), great beaches, mountains etc etc.
    Salary is just not as good, although skilled jobs pay ok and stuff is cheaper. 10s of thousands of Kiwis go to Oz every year because they reckon the standard of living is better in Oz and there's more work.
    I really liked NZ though so you'd really have to check it out yourself. Nice people, similar to Irish in a way.
    But yeah NZ is isolated and quiet, that's probably my main gripe with the place and why I wouldn't like to live there long term, although retiring there is an idea maybe!

Advertisement