Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Candidates for debate

• 21-08-2009 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Since joining Boards, one thing that has struck me is that if you are prepared to debate something, you really need to know what you are on about (though some people still don't get this).

It is a distinct kind of debating given the numbers involved and the ready access to all kinds of information pulled off t'interweb.

With this in mind, if afterhours could arrange for well known figures to have a live online debate, who would you choose?

You can choose two people, living or dead. The first one should be a serious choice the second is your humour choice (this is afterhours)

Give your reasons for choosing them also.

My Choices:

1) Joe Higgins - I think that on a live online debate he would be well and truly shown up as being the militant surrealist that he is.

2) Mary Harney - Just to see if the Mods could stick to the "attack the post not the poster" mantra (and to see the jokes!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that most boardsies would prefer there to be more than two, because they've shown their willingness to be involved in a mass debate, on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think Pat Kenny would be fun. Uninformative, but fun

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I think Pat Kenny would be fun. Uninformative, but fun

Methinks he would keep interrupting you mid-post until you gave him the answer he wanted you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Tutankhamen Vs Marty Whelan in a debate about turnip subsidies in Estonia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that most boardsies would prefer there to be more than two, because they've shown their willingness to be involved in a mass debate, on more than one occasion.

*Sniggers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

i'd have a stab at mary harney or batty boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pighead v FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All of those executed after the Easter rising v the same number of current top FFers. To make it even more interesting, PP and Co would be given better guns than they had in 1916, and the others would be given feck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Joe Duffy.

Just to hear him say, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I have to take a break. THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Chris De Burgh. I'd ask him how he managed to produce a miss world for a daughter, if his daughters get her good looks from her mother and if he is prepared to take a DNA test and have the results read out live on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Kevin Myers
    He'd wipe the floor with the lot o ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Kevin Myers
    He'd wipe the floor with the lot o ye

Oh yea that guy. Did you know he doesn't think evolution is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

bleg wrote: »
    Oh yea that guy. Did you know he doesn't think evolution is true?

Not saying I agree with all he writes (I'm pretty sure he doesn't either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think Hitler would be a pretty good debater

Advertisement