Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage renewal

Options
  • 21-08-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

HI.

I bought a house three years ago and the mortgage is up for renewal. My loan to value rate is high and no broker will touch me. I got an offer from my bank to renew which is:

Variable at 3.24%
    and
    Fixed for 2/3 years at 3.99%

I am currently on a fixed rate of 4.6%

The difference between the 3.24% and the 3.99% is 100 euro per month.

Anyone got any ideas on which is best?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Da Ross wrote: »
    HI.

I bought a house three years ago and the mortgage is up for renewal. My loan to value rate is high and no broker will touch me. I got an offer from my bank to renew which is:

Variable at 3.24%
    and
    Fixed for 2/3 years at 3.99%

I am currently on a fixed rate of 4.6%

The difference between the 3.24% and the 3.99% is 100 euro per month.

Anyone got any ideas on which is best?

Thanks.

Given the relatively positive numbers coming out of germany recently. And the small gap between a 3 years fixed and variable on offer Id suggest going with the fixed rate.

Theres every possibility that rates will rise a quarter point in the next 2 quarters and also the possibility of many banks raising their margins on their variable rates. that alone almost wipes out the different.

Im not a big fan of fixed rates but given the figures your quoting Id say go fixed if its 3.99% for 3 years.

Go variable if they are only offering you 3.99% over 2 years

Advertisement