Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B&W and colour tv [Reeling in the Years]

• 21-08-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

On Reeling In The Years tonight, I think, if it's 1976, there's a sequence of scenes about the tragic Anne Macguire and her family. The first scene (
    showing the scene of the accident
    ) is in colour, the second one (
    showing the bodies being removed
    ) in black and white and the third one (
    showing the funeral
    ) in colour again. I just don't understand why the middle one is B&W.

The only thing I can think is that the middle section is from RTE and the two outer scenes from UTV (or whatever would've been the main TV channel in the North in 1976). Would RTE still have been primarily B&W in 1976? Would there have been another TV channel in the 6 counties that were more technologically advanced than RTE? Vice versa maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

corblimey wrote: »
    Would there have been another TV channel in the 6 counties that were more technologically advanced than RTE? Vice versa maybe?

BBC maybe just a bit more advanced perhaps...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC was in colour from 1967 on BBC2 and 1969 on BBC1 (and ITV) RTE went colour gradually from 1971, programmes were still being filmed using b&w gear until 1976. The news content went colour in 1974

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ah of course, never thought of BBC Norn Iron at all, for some reason. Just figured that all tv tech in Ireland would be pretty much the same around that time, no matter whether it was south or north of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah Grasshopper you know little of olden times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why did you use spoilers? It's like talking about WW2 and using a spoiler to say
    the allies won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

humanji wrote: »
    Why did you use spoilers? It's like talking about WW2 and using a spoiler to say
    the allies won

In other news
    the roman empire has fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well it certainly added to the drama for me! :D

Interesting about RTE and B&W. I'd always assumed that when the station started broadcasting in colour for the Eurovision, that everything went colourful overnight. I'm shocked that B&W lasted into my lifetime :eek: (won't mention that to my parents - I sometimes joke that it must have been a shock the day they woke up and everything wasn't in black and white any more).

I noticed on some of the 60s Reeling in the Years that they sometimes have colour footage of Irish events. Wonder where that comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I sometimes joke that it must have been a shock the day they woke up and everything wasn't in black and white any more.
    Like that scene in The Wizard of Oz where the film suddenly changes from B&W to colour.
    I noticed on some of the 60s Reeling in the Years that they sometimes have colour footage of Irish events. Wonder where that comes from?
    Newsreels most likely. Newsreels were still popular at that time as not many had televisions.

Advertisement