Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner for two, birthday celebration, midweek - Dun Laogaire/Monkstown

Options
  • 21-08-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey,
    Going out for my partner's bday next week, nothing too fussy but I'd like somwehere nice (slightly romantic too if possible!) and reasonable enough - it'll probably be early bird around 7pm in Dun Laoghaire or Monkstown. I've done a bit of checking myself and there seem to be three options I was interested in...
    In DL - Martello or Purple Ocean
    Monkstown - Taste
    What does anyone think...if you've had experiences of any of these or maybe any other suggestions? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Italian on the seafront in Dun Laoghaire... Toscana is a great restaurant.

Purple Ocean isin't the greatest imo.

Hartleys beside the train station also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

have you considered tonic in blackrock? Amazing food and really good prices too. Like really, super food and they're so friendly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

There are a number of good restaurants in Monkstown village.

Wongs chinese is a great Chinese, the best chinese around. the lighting is dim. the service is excellent and all of the food is of the highest quality. a real 5 star chinese. Went there for Valentines a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. have since returned a number of times with family.

FXB restaurant in monnkstown is great. They do fantastic steaks which they source from their own farm. The last time we went there, i think i must have been wrecking my girlfriends head by going on about how good my dinner was for about 3 days afterwards.

Also, Valparaiso restaurant is pretty good in Monkstown - bistro/mediterranean food. Paella and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I love Odell's in sandycove (Above the wine Buff).

it's not the trendiest of places, nor is it the cheapest, but i love the atmosphere in there and the staff are great.

http://www.odellsrestaurant.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I'd agree

Love their Suppli di Riso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

geuro wrote: »
    There are a number of good restaurants in Monkstown village.

Wongs chinese is a great Chinese, the best chinese around. the lighting is dim. the service is excellent and all of the food is of the highest quality. a real 5 star chinese. Went there for Valentines a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. have since returned a number of times with family.

FXB restaurant in monnkstown is great. They do fantastic steaks which they source from their own farm. The last time we went there, i think i must have been wrecking my girlfriends head by going on about how good my dinner was for about 3 days afterwards.

Also, Valparaiso restaurant is pretty good in Monkstown - bistro/mediterranean food. Paella and stuff.

+1 to all of this

and also a +1 to Toscana. You can go for a nice little walk after dinner and have a sit on the bench and watch the waves :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

nothing wrong with a bit of mickeyd's ...

All jokes aside, dalkey has some good spots. The guinne pig is quite nice. Tonic in blackrock is good also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Actually OP, thinking about this again, i would add another +1 for toscana.

When you book tell them it is your BF's birthday and they will make a bif of a fuss, if that's what you want. they will even get people to sing happy birthday as well. The waiters are a great bunch of guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭No_Regrets

Thanks everyone....have a lot of "food" for thought now!! At least restaurants are pretty quiet these days and no probs for reservations really, particularly midweek. Thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emZie

Try menupages.ie I always check out places there.
    Tocana's food is beautiful.
    Purple Ocean, I was there tonight and the food was nice but the atmoshere wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

++1

FXB's for the win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Purple Ocean isin't the greatest imo.

Hartleys beside the train station also

100% agree!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

have you considered tonic in blackrock? Amazing food and really good prices too. Like really, super food and they're so friendly too.

pffft, pants on fire!!

Advertisement