Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless broadband set up on PC

Options
  • 21-08-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm having a problem setting up the wireless UPC broadband on my PC. Its an oldish PC and running on Windows 2000 but was told it should still work. UPC supplied a Wireless USB network card adaptor which is attached and working. Then I start the Wireless Setup Wizard for Wifi installation, it asks me did I order a wireless USB network adaptor with my wireless modem, I select yes. Next screen asks for my SSID digits and case sensitive password BUT, I cannot enter these in. I try click on the box with the mouse, nothing, try tab to it, doesn't do anything. The only thing I'm able to do is click the exit button and it cancels the setup. Its really frustrating!!

Anybody any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dubscorpio wrote: »
    I'm having a problem setting up the wireless UPC broadband on my PC. Its an oldish PC and running on Windows 2000 but was told it should still work. UPC supplied a Wireless USB network card adaptor which is attached and working. Then I start the Wireless Setup Wizard for Wifi installation, it asks me did I order a wireless USB network adaptor with my wireless modem, I select yes. Next screen asks for my SSID digits and case sensitive password BUT, I cannot enter these in. I try click on the box with the mouse, nothing, try tab to it, doesn't do anything. The only thing I'm able to do is click the exit button and it cancels the setup. Its really frustrating!!

Anybody any ideas? :confused:

Are you using the UPC new integrated wireless modem?

Can you not just install the driver for the usb adaptor and then when installed let the usb adaptor 'find' your wireless network?

It shouldn't be necessary to use a set up wizard (unless upc are going about this in an odd way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

A friend just came to me with the same issue.

The USB adapter driver is installed correctly and the adapter appears to be working. Windows 2000 does not have a build in wireless configuration tool, so you have to count on the UPC configuration software, which does not work as described.

I've tested it on a second Windows 2000 system with the same results; unable to select the text boxes or enter the SSID / network key.

I haven't looked further, but my next step will be to try locate alternate configuration software (the one provided looks like UPCs own, there might be a vendor's software that will work)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

1. Uninstall the UPC provided software
    2. Go to http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1 and download the USB (RT2500USB) software
    3. Install & enjoy

If that doesn't work try installing the UPC software to get the USB adapter installed and then install the ralink software to do the actual configuration (the first steps didn't work on my friends system, had to do it this way)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Also worth considering is a wireless issue with the router itself - if you are using the EPC 2425 integrated as I was, I had the same problem - albeit with a vista machine. All lights were showing on the router as active - including the wireless light.

I got onto tech support & when they answered (about 2 hrs later :rolleyes:) they told me they had come across an issue & cured it by changing the SSID ! remotely from their end. Anyways they changed mine from UPC64... to a numeric only value & it worked....

I cant imaging the SSID was actually causing a problem, but whatever they did cured it.

Advertisement