Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreamweaver CMS

• 21-08-2009 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi
    I am developing a site in Dreamweaver and the hosting provider I am with give an option of Drupal or Joomla as the content management applications. Do I have to develop the site in either of these applications rather than dreamweaver? or can you build in dreamweaver then manage in either of the 2 applications?
    So far I have only done a few site and I am updating each of them. Is there any other way of managing the content of a site developed in dreamweaver without having the program? or would the user need to be updating the code in notepad?
    Still learning the ropes so would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks Sooz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You don't have to use drupal or joomla my provider has an easy setup thing for them aswell but there out of date and you better off just doing it yourself.

You wouldn't really build a site and then use the CMS to manage them what you would do is edit the CMS installation using dreamweaver.

Joomla and drupal are very different from just building a website with a few pages in it. I probably won't be able to explain it properly but go to their websites their very interesting pieces of software once you get your head around their way of thinking and now that I have got my head around them (somewhat, it's taken 4 or 5 books) I don't see any reason to ever go back to the old way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soozyq

How do you edit the CMS with dreamweaver? I dont understand that part.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

soozyq wrote: »
    How do you edit the CMS with dreamweaver? I dont understand that part.

You dont, im not sure what they meant there.

Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG Editor...you can make your website using it, upload your pages to the site. If you want to make a change you make it offline withing your pages and reupload the pages with the changes.

Joomla and Drupal etc are CMS - you make the site using them and then when you want to make changes you make them online within the CMS. They come with modules which you can add to the site such as a blog or a guestbook or a photo gallery or whatever else that you just plugin and use, as oppose to having to install and manage it yourself.

You wont really be able to manage the site made in dreamweaver using Drupal or Joomla, you create the site from scratch in them and build it using them.

Wordpress and Joomla are too good options for you as a CMS or you can build it yourself using Dreamweaver if you wish and just edit the pages offline and reupload. It depends on your needs and the type of site really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soozyq

Axwell wrote: »
    You dont, im not sure what they meant there.

Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG Editor...you can make your website using it, upload your pages to the site. If you want to make a change you make it offline withing your pages and reupload the pages with the changes.

Joomla and Drupal etc are CMS - you make the site using them and then when you want to make changes you make them online within the CMS. They come with modules which you can add to the site such as a blog or a guestbook or a photo gallery or whatever else that you just plugin and use, as oppose to having to install and manage it yourself.

You wont really be able to manage the site made in dreamweaver using Drupal or Joomla, you create the site from scratch in them and build it using them.

Wordpress and Joomla are too good options for you as a CMS or you can build it yourself using Dreamweaver if you wish and just edit the pages offline and reupload. It depends on your needs and the type of site really.

Thanks for your reply.:) I only know dreamweaver (still learning) so I had intended creating all my pages using that. The person I am doing the site for wants to be able to edit the site themselves.
    I found a link to this http://www.cushycms.com/ which I thought would be a good alternative as you can choose which parts are editable.
    Any experience using this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Drupal is made up of standard files like html, php, css, you can edit those files using Dreamweaver, but you'd need the knowledge to be able to do those things.

The only editing you can really do (without the coding know how) from within drupal and the likes is adding or editing content like the text or pictures that make up the page. You can do bigger stuff like install modules but if you want to change how they look you need to edit the css and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

soozyq wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.:) I only know dreamweaver (still learning) so I had intended creating all my pages using that. The person I am doing the site for wants to be able to edit the site themselves.
    I found a link to this http://www.cushycms.com/ which I thought would be a good alternative as you can choose which parts are editable.
    Any experience using this?

Yes cushy is fine to give them access to if they are just making small changes to the text etc. Really when you say you only know dreamweaver that means nothing as its just a tool, an editor. You need to look at xhtml and css and understand how they work etc. Designing a site using tables is dated and fails design standards. Whether you design using dreamweaver or a CMS like wordpress, joomla,drupal you still will need to know xhmtl,css and some php, you are just giving the client the facility to make small changes to text etc within the CMS without having to come back to you everytime they want to change the news section for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I use cushycms on a few sites, and it's brilliant for making small changes. The problem is if you want to add new pages like news articles. In fact, I'd say cushycms is just an editor, not a CMS. They're also not too quick to make changes - I emailed them the youtube plugin (at their request as I had used it on another site with FCKEditor) and still no joy. I had to write some JavaScript to replace a custom class with the HTML for embedding a video.

Advertisement