Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jalapenos - where to buy?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could buy some of those pickled jalapenos that they use in the likes of Subway.

I love them, and reckon they'd be lovely on a homemade burger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Old El Paso sell em in jars in any supermarket/shop.

Aldi/Lidl sometimes have Mexican specials too. M&S do them - quite nice too.
    If you require largers sizes - Taco Taco (burrrito burrrrito) sell large cans of them in the Epicurean food hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

olaola wrote: »
    Do they?

Thanks for that.

I've never seen them, then again, I haven't really looked for them before.

Would they be right beside their kits?
    Aldi/Lidl sometimes have Mexican specials too. M&S do them - quite nice too.
    If you require largers sizes - Taco Taco (burrrito burrrrito) sell large cans of them in the Epicurean food hall.

Hmm, I'll have a look in the german places soon, if not I'll head on down to the Epicurean for a look too.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I get jars in African or Mediterranean shops. About a tenner for a big jar.
    Sometimes they only have pfefferoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Des wrote: »
    Do they?

Thanks for that.

I've never seen them, then again, I haven't really looked for them before.

Yup! Even the smallest Spar should have them. They are quite mild compared to other brands, so a good 'entry level' jalapeno :)

Gawd I love jalapenos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Des wrote: »
    Cheers.

yeah, theyre right beside the dinner kits along with the refried beans and stuff like that. You can also buy fresh ones is most places, i know superquinn do them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm growing my own at the moment (along with some other varieties). Pretty easy to do if you have a warm sunny spot like a conservatory. I'll be trying to pickle some of them when they're ready .. I've found some recipes on the net and it seems quite simple.

Alun wrote: »
    I'm growing my own at the moment (along with some other varieties). Pretty easy to do if you have a warm sunny spot like a conservatory. I'll be trying to pickle some of them when they're ready .. I've found some recipes on the net and it seems quite simple.

wow thats cool, i know its off topic, but any tips on how to grow your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

thorbarry wrote: »
    wow thats cool, i know its off topic, but any tips on how to grow your own?
    I just bought some small plants at a local garden centre (Powerscourt as it happens) in the spring. Potted them out into some larger pots and kept them watered, and fertilized as well once they started flowering and fruiting (use a potassium rich compost such as liquid tomato compost). That's about it really .. I'm certainly no gardener, and if I can grow them anyone can :D I've kept mine in the conservatory all the time, and once I left them for a day and came back to find all the plants looking as dead as a doornail, with the leaves wilted, but brought them indoors and soaked the soil with water and within an hour they were back to normal again! They're quite hardy things, and I've read that if you treat them mean (with water that is) they'll produce hotter chillies. I've also had quite a few flower stalks just dropping off without forming fruits, but I'm not sure what the reason for that is .. maybe I'm over watering a bit.

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-chillies.html

Alun wrote: »
    I just bought some small plants at a local garden centre (Powerscourt as it happens) in the spring. Potted them out into some larger pots and kept them watered, and fertilized as well once they started flowering and fruiting (use a potassium rich compost such as liquid tomato compost). That's about it really .. I'm certainly no gardener, and if I can grow them anyone can :D I've kept mine in the conservatory all the time, and once I left them for a day and came back to find all the plants looking as dead as a doornail, with the leaves wilted, but brought them indoors and soaked the soil with water and within an hour they were back to normal again! They're quite hardy things, and I've read that if you treat them mean (with water that is) they'll produce hotter chillies. I've also had quite a few flower stalks just dropping off without forming fruits, but I'm not sure what the reason for that is .. maybe I'm over watering a bit.

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-chillies.html

Excellent thanks alot, I'm gonna buy some next time im in a garden centre and stick them in the conservatory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The Old El Paso ones are totally overpriced, don't bother with them. Aldi now have them as a stock item (as opposed to as occasional specials). It's a far bigger jar than OEP and about €1.50 cheaper. You'll find them with the olives/gherkins/other condiments - in most Aldi stores that's on top of the chest freezer section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Yup! Even the smallest Spar should have them. They are quite mild compared to other brands, so a good 'entry level' jalapeno :)

Gawd I love jalapenos.

yeah i agree, theyre very mild!

Advertisement