Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Mullingar

Options
  • 21-08-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Can anyone recommend a couple of decent pubs in Mullingar for a few pints?(Not into the teeny bopper nonsense lol)

Any assistance much appreciated
    Thanks
    Johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Danny Byrnes isn't bad, they usually have a band playing there at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Cheers for the quick reply, actually down there next Thursday night(staying in the Greville Arms)....will check it out!

Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Razmond

Try Cons on Dominic street or Ulyses. If you really want something out of the ordinary, get a taxi out to Rathconrath and go into Gunnings, you wont forget it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duffy's Girl

I'd recommend John Mac's on Castle St. (formerly Gilleran's) It's a music pub with comfie leather sofas, cool mismatched tables and chairs... a nice, chilled, low lit atmosphere. Live music four days a week. Kinda reminds me of Hogan's type crowd. No tinyboppers. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lovelyjaws

Can anyone recommend a nice quiet pub for a date in Mullingar?

• Advertisement

I'd recommend John Mac's on Castle St. (formerly Gilleran's) It's a music pub with comfie leather sofas, cool mismatched tables and chairs... a nice, chilled, low lit atmosphere. Live music four days a week. Kinda reminds me of Hogan's type crowd. No tinyboppers. Hope that helps!

Cheers both much appreciated, used to head into Hogans when was living in Dublin hence fits the bill perfectly....

Brgds
    Johnny

I went into Johnny Macs a few months ago and have to say I didn't like it. I thought Danny's was dark until I walked in there!! Thought painting the walls black was a bit much. Looks nice from the outside but wasn't a fan when I was in there. Much prefer Dannys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

Canton caseys, best pub in the town - its where a lot of the locals go

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

apparantly bambricks do the best pint in town. Not sure about the regulars though.

Bambricks and Ulysesses - both fantastic pints of Guinness in the 2 pubs.....was surprised at how busy the pubs in Mullingar last night!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

mandz wrote: »
    I went into Johnny Macs a few months ago and have to say I didn't like it. I thought Danny's was dark until I walked in there!! Thought painting the walls black was a bit much. Looks nice from the outside but wasn't a fan when I was in there. Much prefer Dannys.

The two pubs are practically identical, same furniture (even a random bed), same music, old magazines lying about, candles... Johnny Macs just seems cleaner.
    Still prefer Danny's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lovelyjaws wrote: »

My favourite pub is The old stand. It is lovely and quiet inside. A nice black cat walks around and sits on your lap if you are a cat person like me, in the winter there is a fire and there is a very large beer garden out back.
    They also do some very good premium beer. Their craft beer fridge has been broken both times I was in but since decent ale is best served at room temp, that does not bother me. Also has an unbelievable stock of Whiskey and Scotch Whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Porter House - best guinness in town - so i'm told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

jigglywoo wrote: »
    The two pubs are practically identical, same furniture (even a random bed), same music, old magazines lying about, candles... Johnny Macs just seems cleaner.
    Still prefer Danny's anyway.

That's because the guy who owns John Mac's now used to manage Danny's.

I never go to any pubs on the other side of McDonald's (towards the dub bridge).. or on the other side of the canal (towards Penney's). Everything outside the "main drag" is kind of seedy.

Wouldn't be a fan of the Stables outside of a proper gig, either, awful seedy place.

Mac's is nice and quiet during the week but a bit too packed Saturday nights. Danny's has live music every night of the week except Tuesdays when they have a very popular pub quiz. Both pubs are kind of cliquey and are aimed towards the early 20's music crowd.

Caffrey's, Crossbar and Casey's are also incredibly popular but I find them way too loud, jammed, and there's just nothing special about them.

I avoid the Greville at all costs, shíthole tbh. Ulysses is kind of the Eastern European hotspot.

Finn's is grand for a pint of Guinness but it's definitely one of those pubs where you get stared at if you're not usually there.
    The Old Stand has great selection and a friendly enough atmosphere and decent barstaff banter, but it gets hugely political and due to politics has greatly emptied out in the last few months-- used to be my local but I stopped going completely. Bad vibes lately.
    There's also Dolan's, which is popular enough around changeover time (it becomes part of Mojo's nite club after hours on weekends), but it's an old man's pub during the daylight hours.
    Wallace's and the Porterhouse are also old man pubs.

Wouldn't touch Butler's, personally.

Kerrigan's and Con's are okay. Nothing special. Varied crowd.

...Wow, Mullingar has a lot of pubs for a small town. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

liah wrote: »
    That's because the guy who owns John Mac's now used to manage Danny's.

I never go to any pubs on the other side of McDonald's (towards the dub bridge).. or on the other side of the canal (towards Penney's). Everything outside the "main drag" is kind of seedy.

Wouldn't be a fan of the Stables outside of a proper gig, either, awful seedy place.

Mac's is nice and quiet during the week but a bit too packed Saturday nights. Danny's has live music every night of the week except Tuesdays when they have a very popular pub quiz. Both pubs are kind of cliquey and are aimed towards the early 20's music crowd.

Caffrey's, Crossbar and Casey's are also incredibly popular but I find them way too loud, jammed, and there's just nothing special about them.

I avoid the Greville at all costs, shíthole tbh. Ulysses is kind of the Eastern European hotspot.

Finn's is grand for a pint of Guinness but it's definitely one of those pubs where you get stared at if you're not usually there.
    The Old Stand has great selection and a friendly enough atmosphere and decent barstaff banter, but it gets hugely political and due to politics has greatly emptied out in the last few months-- used to be my local but I stopped going completely. Bad vibes lately.
    There's also Dolan's, which is popular enough around changeover time (it becomes part of Mojo's nite club after hours on weekends), but it's an old man's pub during the daylight hours.
    Wallace's and the Porterhouse are also old man pubs.

Wouldn't touch Butler's, personally.

Kerrigan's and Con's are okay. Nothing special. Varied crowd.

...Wow, Mullingar has a lot of pubs for a small town. :eek:

I'm intrigued. How does a pub become hugely political? Where is the Old Stand. I can't place it?

I'm intrigued. How does a pub become hugely political? Where is the Old Stand. I can't place it?

Old Stand is up by the GPO across from the Newbury Hotel

Let's just say one of the barstaff is incredibly touchy, moody and fond of drama, creates it wherever he goes.

Good banter though, in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Let's just say one of the barstaff is incredibly touchy, moody and fond of drama, creates it wherever he goes.

Good banter though, in fairness.

I suppose it's how you take him. He's a big pussycat really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maroongael

Hardto beat Caseys on a summer( somewhat dry even!) night. Great pub nice atmosphere always friendly banter to be had.

GKidd wrote: »
    I suppose it's how you take him. He's a big pussycat really

Oh, you'd be surprised..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fryer99

Liah, you said: I never go to any pubs on the other side of McDonald's (towards the dub bridge).. or on the other side of the canal (towards Penney's). Everything outside the "main drag" is kind of seedy.

Clarkes on Patrick Street (other side of Canal) is one of the best puds in town. Music every weekend, never had a bad pint in it and all staff and the owners are the nicest people you'd meet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Oh, you'd be surprised..

Go on surprise me!

You can pm me if you don't wanna go public.:P

I haven't a clue who you are so I'm not going to air dirty laundry. It's not my place. I'm speaking on personal experience here. You can believe what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Lovelyjaws wrote: »

Porter House, it's a great place, best pint in the town (imo)

On that note, good pubs in the town are (imo)

- Porter House
    - Ulysses
    - Yukon
    - John Macs
    - Clarkes

I'd stay away from places like Kerrigans, Druid's chair and Greville Arms. Full of "young people", plus pretty ****ty places in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Gonna bump this old thread. Meeting up with old college mates in mullingar this weekend, we're all mid to late 30's. Staying in Annebrook apartments. So weres the best pubs for our age group in mullingar? Just looking for decent pubs with a bit of craic, maybe music. Any late bars? Wot are niteclubs like?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

toby2111 wrote: »
    Gonna bump this old thread. Meeting up with old college mates in mullingar this weekend, we're all mid to late 30's. Staying in Annebrook apartments. So weres the best pubs for our age group in mullingar? Just looking for decent pubs with a bit of craic, maybe music. Any late bars? Wot are niteclubs like?

Hasn't really changed from the list given in fairness. Late bars/clubs, there's a few...Bed, The Fence, The Lane, Mojo's (Dolan's)...can be anything from early 20's to late 30's in them. Kinda varies weekend to weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

John Daly's? I have moved from Westmeath but that was a favourite when I was there. Good beer and music but that was 2012.

Advertisement