Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy birthday Day of defeat source! (now incl video & appreciation)

Options
  • 21-08-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Time to give some love to the best online FPS of all time. 4 years ago this september dod:s was released and is still my most played online game of all time. So who played it? Who loved it/hated it? IMO its a superior game to CS:S & TF2 in every conceivable way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

IMO you're wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

SeantheMan wrote: »
    IMO you're wrong

Thats what opinions are for and IMO im 100% in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Have it and love it. Not a huge fan of the detonation modes but generally it's great. Under-appreciated WW2 fodder. Under-supported by Valve also, IMO. Where's the new map love?

I have stopped playing because of TF2 of late but I'll always have a soft spot for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IMO dod:s was fantastic. But not nearly as fantastic as me (imo).

Have it and love it. Not a huge fan of the detonation modes but generally it's great. Under-appreciated WW2 fodder. Under-supported by Valve also, IMO. Where's the new map love?

I have stopped playing because of TF2 of late but I'll always have a soft spot for it!
    Detonation can be seriously nailbiting stuff when you get a good game of it going. when youre defending that final bomb spot, or attacking the enemies final bomb spot its just awesome. I love attacking the last place when theres only a minute left on the clock and your whole team just goes balls out trying to blow it up :D

The last new map was dod_palermo which is pretty ****, it was a custom map that was made official. Something like dod_strand wouldve been 100 times better.

And yeah it was criminally under supported by valve, as soon as it was out the door the dev team was sent to work on other games. Its only had 3 updates of note in 4 years, TF2 has had that many in the last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Always enjoyed playing it when I could get onto a server. I have this strange problem whenever I play any steam games online that I either lose connection after a few seconds of play or I can't connect at all. When I do get connected in the end I have a good time playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to play this a lot but stopped for some reason. Liked all the maps except Avalanche which was horribly one sided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wolfenstein:ET hasn't been bettered even by the same developers imo. Just to throw a spanner in their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I haven't played in a long long time but I was addicted to this game. One of the most fun online shooters I've played (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Happy Birthday DoD: Source! I play this all the time. Infact, I'd say it's the game I play the most, I've gotten very good at it lately. I have been playing DoD since it was beta, really loved it.

I've stuck with it, even though I was disappointed they dropped the British team and there have been no new official maps since I started playing about 2 years back. I think that's criminal. We are definetly due some new maps.

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Happy Birthday DoD: Source! I play this all the time. Infact, I'd say it's the game I play the most, I've gotten very good at it lately. I have been playing DoD since it was beta, really loved it.

I've stuck with it, even though I was disappointed they dropped the British team and there have been no new official maps since I started playing about 2 years back. I think that's criminal. We are definetly due some new maps.

If theyd make dod_strand official i would be very happy indeed :D

and mewso wof:et is almost as good as dod:s..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

/still waiting for a good source remake of dod_caen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Stephen wrote: »
    /still waiting for a good source remake of dod_caen

It's criminal that Caen was left out. Some servers do a fairly decent custom Caen map, I played it once I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

been playing it on and off since beta 1.1, I jjust cant help myself :pac:
    afaik there are 2 decent remakes of caen,dod_goodwood and dod_caenb7 which is supposed to be the better of the two.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

hover bovver is the best game of all time.

This talk of dod is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

0ubliette wrote: »
    IMO its a superior game to CS:S & TF2 in every conceivable way.

Do explain please.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Do explain please.

IMO is a better game than css and tf2 in ever conceivable way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

0ubliette wrote: »
    IMO is a better game than css and tf2 in ever conceivable way.

Good argument, you should write game reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

used to play it all the time until the update where they made it possible to run tru your teamates, and added acheivments.

they removed a load of glitches etc...but being able to run tru my allie ruined it for me.

and that every server has the mg banned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Love DODS myself . . . great game to play with friends. And its a game that will receive more developer and community love in the future. Those CAMP guys are awesome.;)

• Advertisement

Love DODS myself . . . great game to play with friends. And its a game that will receive more developer and community love in the future. Those CAMP guys are awesome.;)

yeah the camp map packs were good, shame not alot of servers run them tho

Advertisement