Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition Fees

Options
  • 21-08-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently accepted an offer from Sligo IT. Today i received the letter-pack containing all the information regarding the first day, registration etc. But could I ask, one of the letters sate:

"Tuition Fees: For the current year no tuition fees are payable by Irish Citizens or students who are citizens of another Member State of the European Union. However students who are repeat students or who have availed of funding at an equivalent level before may be liable for fees. Their position will be assessed on the day of registration..."

I have previously attended DIT for one year, but left in the following summer as I felt the course was not for me. At the time I had a grant from the VEC who had paid the €800 registration fee and then I got €138 a month thereafter. Will this mean I will have to pay tuition fees and if so, how muh are they? Are the tuition fees on top of the €1500 registration fee also?

I hope you can answer my questions.

Regards,
    Darren Johnson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was in the same boat as you. I previously did a year at NUIG and I did the exams in May and then I had to do some repeats in August. I had no interest in the course so I don't even know why I did the repeats, anyways I failed some of the repeats so I took a year out as I didn't know what I wanted to do.
    I then re-applied through the CAO for a course in Sligo I.T, I was expecting to pay the tuition fees on top of registration Fees I never ended up having to pay them:)

The Tuition Fees that I would have had to pay if I wanted to repeat the year in Galway would have been over €6500 but I only paid the registration fees in Sligo so I doubt you will have to pay the tuition fees.
    As far as I know though you won't avail of the grant this year but I might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

That's good news then about the Tuition Fees. I was not expecting to receive the grant, but I thought I'd chance it anyway. Thanks for the help!

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think the issue is if the first course is significantly different from the course you are doing now. If they were both Business courses for example you would have to pay tuition fees but if for example the course you are doing now is in a different area you could probably be OK. I think the level of the course has a relevance.

That is why they need to assess it on the day of registration.

What was your previous course and what course are you doing now.

You could try to contact the college for clarrification.

I emailed the college but I have yet to receive a reply. The last course I was doing was a Higher Certificate in Business Studies, now I hope to do the BSc in Games Development. These courses are fairly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

THat should be Ok but await clarrification from the institute.

I think the email is admissions@itsligo.ie

Also they might advise if you can get the grant.

It is worth applying for anyway, because if you get it the registration fee is covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

I think you should get in touch with your local VEC as they would be awarding you the grant/fees. The grant application form can be found www.studentfinance.ie The closing date is the 31st August! The form doesn't need to be 100% complete by then but submit the basic details and work on getting the rest ASAP. You can also call into your local VEC office and get them to have a quick look at your form and they would outline anything else you need (like proof of earnings, proof of previous 3rd level education).

I have applied for the Grant already, I am just waiting on them to get back to me. :) I also rang the IT today and was told that I wouldn't have to pay tuition fees as I had not started my second year, if I had started my second year I would have had to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Architect 25ml

Xylophonic wrote: »
    I have applied for the Grant already, I am just waiting on them to get back to me. :) I also rang the IT today and was told that I wouldn't have to pay tuition fees as I had not started my second year, if I had started my second year I would have had to pay.

I know someone who is in the same boat as you Xylophonic but unfortunatly they did enter second year of their first course so it looks like they have another expensive year ahead of them, after paying nearly 2500e last year looks like they neede another 3000e grand in the next few weeks

You dont know how lucky you are not entering second year could be one of the best decisions you ever made :D

Advertisement