Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004 Ford Fiesta LX 1.25 Problems Getting 1st Gear.

• 21-08-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've just bought a 20004 Ford Fiesta this week and I'm having problems getting 1st gear. There is no problem first thing in the morning (normally I'm on the road at 6:30 am) in turning on the car and putting it into 1st gear. The problem normally happens later on in the day when I'm leaving from work, I start the car and it will not go into first, in fact it won't go into in any gear easily including reverse. When I turn off the car, I can then select 1st gear, keep the clutch pressed and then turn on the car - not an ideal situtation as you can imagine. Any ideas on why my car is having this really weird problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why did you buy it like that then?

Your problem could be any of clutch, gearbox, or linkages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sound like the clutch, or maybe the selector is gone.

Best bet get a mechanic to check it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 debzcar

Well it didn't do it when I test drove it and was just wondering if anybody else encountered this problem. Anyway bringing it in to the garage tomorrow. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

It does sound like a strange one but I'd bet that a gear oil change will fix it. Wouldnt be too worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

gearbox oil could be low,any sign of an oil leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I noticed this on occasion with my own and what I would do is press down on the clutch 2 or maybe 3 times before selecting 1st. This only happens on a cold start. I need a linkage spring for mine, could probably do with changing G/B oil too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 debzcar

Car sorted out now - all it needed was some gear box oil. To the guys who were spot on - thank you so much. To the guy who didn't have a clue and was going for the expensive overkill option (HFIII) maybe you should remember this "it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". Happy and safe motoring to all.

Advertisement