Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'what phone' thread!

• 21-08-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted some recommendations. (I'm on O2)

I'm long overdue an upgrade (have an N73!) and have a silver on o2.

I've been looking at phones, but really can't decide.

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

5800 - though seems large, and I have an iPod touch, so maybe not (and a bit more than I was really willing to pay)

iPhone 3gs - same reasons as above.

SE W980i - looks nice, decent camera, lots of storage, decent connectivity.

SE W595 - same as above really, but looks a bit nicer!!

Nokia 6303 - not mad on it, but others seems to recommend it.

And I'm sure there are others, oh the SE C510 seems to come highly recommended also.

So boardsies, help me chose!!

Oh, and I wouldn't mind Wifi on it, so if anyone can think of a relatively cheap phone with wifi, let me know!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There's the Nokia E51 and E63 on O2 postpaid, both from between €79 - €129 and both have Wi-Fi. The O2 website doesn't state the E63 has Wi-Fi, but fortunately the Nokia website does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Rsaeire wrote: »
    There's the Nokia E51 and E63 on O2 postpaid, both from between €79 - €129 and both have Wi-Fi. The O2 website doesn't state the E63 has Wi-Fi, but fortunately the Nokia website does.

Thanks. Don't like the E63 though, reminds me too much of a BB curve.

The E51 looks like a dildo with buttons. Though it is a good phone.

Any other wifi enabled phones that you can think of?? (its not gonna be a deal breaker, but would be nice!)

Hmm, the SE C902 looks decent too.

Anyone else got ideas?

Ooh, the W705 looks good. Any opinions on this?

So basically I'm looking for a phone with

A) Decent Camera
    B) Aesthetically pleasing (I know this id down to opinion, but I'm throwing it out there anyway)
    C) Comes with decent memory space (either built in, or ia card)
    D) Good OS
    E) Wifi preferable (but not a deal breaker)
    F) 3G

I listed a few I like above, but would like to here opinions on them before I take the plunge.

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So basically I'm looking for a phone with

A) Decent Camera
    B) Aesthetically pleasing (I know this id down to opinion, but I'm throwing it out there anyway)
    C) Comes with decent memory space (either built in, or ia card)
    D) Good OS
    E) Wifi preferable (but not a deal breaker)
    F) 3G

I listed a few I like above, but would like to here opinions on them before I take the plunge.

Many thanks :)

HTC Hero fits the bill there!

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    HTC Hero fits the bill there!

I know, but I'm on O2, and have an upgrade available - so thats no Hero for me :(

Based on your needs, and the handsets you've passed on, you have the choice of the following handsets.

Nokia 6700 Classic

Price: From €99 - €129
    Main features: 3G/HSDPA, 5 MP camera, microSD card slot

Sony Ericsson C510i

Price: From €49 - €99
    Main features: 3G/HSDPA, 3.2 MP camera, M2 memory card slot

Sony Ericsson W705i

Price: From €0 - €149
    Main features: 3G/HSDPA, 3.2 MP camera, M2 memory card slot, Wi-Fi

Sony Ericsson W980i

Price: From €49 - €99
    Main features: 3G/HSDPA, 3.2 MP camera, 8 GB onboard memory

Thanks for that. What would be your recommendation out of those?

Thanks for that. What would be your recommendation out of those?

Feature wise, the handsets, with the exception of the C510i, all have one or two exclusive features, e.g. 6700 Classic = 5 MP camera and GPS*, W705i = Wi-Fi, W980i = 8 GB onboard memory and FM transmitter. As such, it boils down to what feature(s) you're more interested in.

Another point you may, or may not, be considering is form factor; two handsets are candybar, one handset is a clamshell and one is a slider.

Given the above, I can't recommend a handset for you. I would, however, recommend you think of which handset has the features you'd most like and decide based on that.

* I didn't realise the 6700 Classic had GPS, that's why I didn't mention it in my last post.

Thanks for that. The 6700 looks pretty good, but I'm now also interested in the C902.

If it was a choice between the 2, which would you pick? I think the Nokia might win feature wise...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. The 6700 looks pretty good, but I'm now also interested in the C902.

If it was a choice between the 2, which would you pick? I think the Nokia might win feature wise...

The Nokia does win feature wise, as it has GPS, however, there's not many other features that are exclusive to the 6700 Classic.

It seems to boil down to whether you prefer Nokia's OS over Sony Ericsson's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The 6700 looks at look better than the c902 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thragon

FWIW, I've a C902 and I really like it. Solid. SE reliability, tho my kids hate the keys. I'd have liked wifi but can wait. Have a silver upgrade but can't find a phone to match the C902 for the money so will stay with it til things improve.

Advertisement