Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re Excel

• 21-08-2009 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All

I have 2 workbooks in excel.
    1 for master stock
    1 for invoices

I want to, in my invoice workbook enter a code and have the description come up automatically from my Stock workbook. I have been trying for ages to do this mainly to streamline and save time can anybody point me in the right direction before i go mad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

personally I would use Access for data and sql for querys - but vlookup i believe is yer man and is one of the reasons I would use Access :)

Also if you post this in Programming forum they may be in position to assist further - also google vlookup for tutorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Reillo

Cheers john,

Unfortunately I dont have Access, what is vlookup, sorry I am a novice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

VLookup is the way.

Not sure which version of Excel you have but in 2003 it goes like.

=VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!1:65536,2,FALSE)

Where you are asking it to:

1. Look at the value in Cell B1
    2. Go to Sheet 2 and search for the value found in B1 above. (It searches the first column)
    3. Return the Value in Column 2 of Sheet 2 on the line you found B1 in
    4 False is there so that it finds the exact match rather than the closest match.

Explaining it badly but there is a wizard in Excel 2003 which will guide you through it.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

you can search your excel document, Ctrl + F . all you need to do is have some kind of account no for each customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Reillo

cheers people made some progress on it today..

will go back again on Monday

Have a good weekend;)
    thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement