Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Main Event Mafia

• 21-08-2009 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

So what is everyone's thoughts on MEM aka Main Event Mafia???

Main Event Mafia are a heel alliance in TNA currently made up of Kurt Angle as the group leader with Booker T, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Samoa Joe and Traci Brooks. They hold all the titles in TNA presently (it wont be long till Traci gets the Knockout title :rolleyes:). Sting was previously part of the group.

Are they one of best heel fractions ever? Are they a bunch of over the hill geriatrics who cant cut it in the ring? With Kurt Angle being arrested and maybe getting supended or released what's going to happen to the Main Event Mafia? Who should replace Kurt Angle as the leader of the mafia? Would Jarrett maybe join as a new leader?

Thought/Views/Opinions?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I couldn't care less about the Main Event Mafia to be honest. Bunch of washed up has beens who are either past it or can't care less anymore and the main reason why TNA has turned into WCW version 2009.

Its not a situation to be inwhen your main heel faction makes you want to do nothing but turn off the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JP Liz wrote: »
    Are they one of best heel fractions ever?

God no, not even close. nWO and DX at their primes were far better. Even Evoloution were a far better faction. And to even try compare them to the Horsemen is an insult.

They are grand for what they are. But at this stage they are just getting "get away from me" heat. Their storyline has gone on for too long now. Apart from Angle and Joe, none of them have anything to offer in the ring, and even that is arguable at this stage. They are holding back proper talent which they could bleed through to the main event rather than have them hanging around.

They would be delighted to have some "get away from me hest" gimmick. problem is they get none at all. In my book thats far worse, nobody caring enough about you to even boo. This little extract from the Observer sums it up nicely;

"Hard Justice was a mixed bag as a show. It was better than the lineup indicated, blowing away the awful Victory Road show. It opened strong, but closed sad. The main event was not main event caliber. Mick Foley vs. Kevin Nash was real sad, because they probably did as good a match as they physically could, using blood effectively. But the crowd didn’t care, and the lack of heat for a Foley match where he was killing himself showed a real lesson about the difference between a legend being special by wrestling sparingly, and what happens when they are physically limited and are on every major show. Live, we heard that several hundred of the 1,100 in the building left before and during the final two matches. And it was not a bad crowd. In fact, it was a great crowd for most of the show."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

flahavaj wrote: »
    In my book thats far worse, nobody caring enough about you to even boo.

Problem is, most of the time they're cheered more than the actual babyfaces. The Mafia should have been used in a way that many of the older guys could pass the torch and retire when it was over. Problem is, they have constantly been put over the younger TNA guys and the TNA mainstays. When the Frontline first assembled it featured Creed, Petey, Lethal, The Guns, Eric Young and ODB. Not exactly a group that instils fear into The Mafia. But if it were set up with Roode, Storm, AJ, Daniels, Joe and Abyss it would have been a group that people could get behind rather than a group of glorified jobbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The Mafia should have been used in a way that many of the older guys could pass the torch and retire when it was over. .

It rarely works out like that. Just look at the Millionaires angle in WCW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Main Event Mafia is just The Millionaire Club Mk II.

Now who was responsible for TMC....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

It rarely works out like that. Just look at the Millionaires angle in WCW.

Unfortunately it doesn't but it most certainly should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I liked the storylines that MEM have been involved in, but the fact that all the members in MEM are old former Heavweight champion wrestlers, is pointless because all it does is show how they can't seem to step aside to allow the younger wrestlers the spotlight. I've always believed that part of a stable should be use to get younger stars over. In DX you had HHH who got over. In Nation of Domination, The Rock and in Evolution Randy Orton and Batista. Then again it's still interesting to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't watch TNA cause I've not got Bravo anymore but I caught the tail end of Exposion on Setanta the other night - wow when the hell did that show up ?. Might give WWE a run for its ratings ? I see WWE is back on Saturday afternoons! Anyway, I got bored very quick. Steiner's boring and well past it, Booker looks so out of place, Angle's trying to hold it together but it's just dreadful. It's a really crap WCW rehash. When WWE did these "supergroups" like the Ministry of Darkness/Corporation or Evolution it used younger guys and gave them (a bit of) a push, at least into the spotlight to mingle with the headliners. This mafia thing is just so self-centred and self-obsessed it's impossible to find entertaining.

I second Vince's comment about the Millionaires Club circa WCW 2000, however they also had the "New Blood" to offset that but still, rubbish storyline idea and even worse execution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    . Steiner's boring

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek:

Can't even find the best promo of his in TNA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭MuscleShark

MEM Storyline makes no sense. Why is Samoa Joe the talent that TNA pushed for number of years joined the Main Event Mafia? It should have been Mafias against styles, Daniels, Joe and Sting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 da-mahon-don

main event mafia is getting boring...finish it now russo before u finish tna

Steiner is wildly entertaining on the mic, but its more by accident than by design for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

flahavaj wrote: »
    Steiner is wildly entertaining on the mic, but its more by accident than by design for the most part.

There's no way he can be that consistently amazing by accident and he isn't even scripted. man is a genius.

Anyone have that promo on the frontline where he's talking about the MCMG playing video games in their hotel where Nash is pissing himself laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Steiner is hilarious

Advertisement