Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend entertainment for older generation

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

My parents are coming to Galway next weekend from Donegal, they are staying Friday & Saturday night. Can anyone recommend a pub which would cater for an older generation. They would like somewhere where you could get a seat and hear a bit of live traditional music. All the pubs in the city centre would be way too packed for them. Isn't there a nice pub in Salthill which has trad sessions at weekends...Murrays is it?
    Also can anyone recommend where I could bring them for evening dinner, somewhere nice and easily accessible by car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suggest a drive out to www.padraicins.com or www.ogradysonthepier.com for dinner, then come back and check out www.thecranebar.com for trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

O'Connors in Salthill is probably the one you're thinking of, would be a good spot, gets an older crowd and tourists, usually a session on most nights during the summer and plenty of seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do they want real trad or song-and-dance-for-tourists-with-C&W-on-the-side?

If the latter, try An Pucan, which has lots of seats.

If the former, hmm, seating can be a problem (unless they look elderly and frail enough to scare younger people into standing up ;) ): try the Crane upstairs, but make sure you get there not much after 9:30pm. Maybe even Taffes, which I don't like much, but do seem to remember seating in.

Also, I'm sure I read a newspaper article about a session in Menlo park hotel on Friday nights, would assume they've got plenty of seating - but I've never been there, no idea what it's like.

Advertisement