Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gegard Mousasi

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Thoughts?

Destroyed Babalu at the weekend and looks like an amazing prospect considering he's only 24. Would have loved to see him go to UFC after Afflictions collapse, there doesn't seem to be many big fights for him at Strikeforce, especially with Little Nog off to UFC now. I think he has the potential to make life very uncomfortable for alot of people at 205

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've always liked him. He fought in Dublin on a RINGS show a good few years ago. A very complete fighter I think

There's no challengers for him in Strikeforce though. People talk about Anderson Silva dominating the UFC middleweight division, but there are still a number of top fighters there, like Henderson, Marquardt, Maia. Now that Mousasi has beaten Babalu and Nogueira's gone to the UFC, I have no idea who Strikeforce will have him fight next

His main competition will probably be in Japan, where I think he'll win the Superhulk tournament easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

With Strikeforce aligned with Dream then i'd say his biggest challengers will come from Japan etc.

A big fan of his. He's so well rounded and composed. The only thing that annoys me about him is that people seem to think he can still make 185!!

The only thing that annoys me about him is that people seem to think he can still make 185!!

I know. I read some people recently talking about how he could rule the middleweight, lightheavyweight and heavyweight divisions. He's a lightheavyweight! And he weighed 220lbs or whatever it was against Mark Hunt just because he didn't cut weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

Fozzy wrote: »
    I've always liked him. He fought in Dublin on a RINGS show a good few years ago. A very complete fighter I think

There's no challengers for him in Strikeforce though. People talk about Anderson Silva dominating the UFC middleweight division, but there are still a number of top fighters there, like Henderson, Marquardt, Maia. Now that Mousasi has beaten Babalu and Nogueira's gone to the UFC, I have no idea who Strikeforce will have him fight next

His main competition will probably be in Japan, where I think he'll win the Superhulk tournament easily enough
    Yes very good fighter he fought john donnelly from team ryano in the point in bushido rings December 2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

WTF he only got paid $2K:eek: for that fight? Could that be correct:confused:

Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” Payscale
    In case you dont want to know the results
    Cristiane Santos –- $25,000 (including $5,000 win bonus)
    Def. Gina Carano –- $125,000

Gegard Mousasi –- $2,000 (no win bonus)
    Def. Renato Sobral –- $75,000

Gilbert Melendez –- $50,000 (no win bonus)
    Def. Mitsuhiro Ishida –- $30,000

Fabricio Werdum –- $50,000 (including $25,000 win bonus)
    Def. Mike Kyle –- $14,000

Jay Hieron –- $55,000 ($30,000 win bonus)
    Def. Jesse Taylor –- $12,000

Scott Lighty –- $4,000 (no win bonus)
    Def. Mike Cook –- $2,500

Justin Wilcox –- $5,000 (including $2,500 win bonus)
    Def. David Douglas -- $5,500

James Terry –- $6,000 (including $3,000 win bonus)
    Def. Zak Bucia –- $2,000

Alexander Trevino –- $3,500 (including $1,500 win bouns)
    Isaiah Hill -- $2,000
    Note: These numbers, sent to Sherdog.com by the California State Athletic Commission, are disclosed pay only.

He works for M-1, they would have been paid a big sum of money and in turn given that to Gegard, the same way that they do with Fedor. I've heard people speculate that it's done that way to avoid paying American rates of tax, but I'm not so sure about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

A big fan of his. He's so well rounded and composed. The only thing that annoys me about him is that people seem to think he can still make 185!!

Not sure what you mean - did he not make 185 for the four middle weight fights here?
    Win Ronaldo Souza KO (Upkick) Dream 6 - Middleweight Grand Prix 2008 Final 9/23/2008 1 2:15
    Win Melvin Manhoef Submission (Triangle Choke) Dream 6 - Middleweight Grand Prix 2008 Final 9/23/2008 1 1:28
    Win Dong Sik Yoon Decision (Unanimous) Dream 4 - Middleweight Grand Prix 2008 Quarterfinals 6/15/2008 2 5:00
    Win Denis Kang Submission (Triangle Choke) Dream 2 - Middleweight Grand Prix 2008 Opening Round 4/29/2008 1 3:10

and in this HL - he looks a comfortable 185 -195
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvZtwqeFJY&feature=fvw

That he beat Mark Hunt in Rd 1 Via Sub coming from 185 is very impressive - Hunt hits like a truck as we all know and weighes 250.

anyway - this guy is brilliant - would he not present Silva with some problems at MW ?? I reckon he would - he's real composed kinda like cropcop back in the day always staying in the pocket within reach of a kick

soretoe wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean - did he not make 185 for the four middle weight fights here?

He was a middleweight for years but he took a lot of time off after that September '08 fight that you mentioned so that he could bulk up to lightheavyweight (almost a year if you ignore the openweight fight with Hunt). He's said himself about how tough it was to put on the weight and that he couldn't make it back down to middleweight without a lot of work. I believe that Neil was talking about the people who seem to think that he could fight at 185 next week if he wanted to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

oh right fairnufsky

hate this weight making malarky sometimes - especially over the last year - when two fighters are properly matched in the first place then who cares about 5 - 10 pounds come weigh in day - allthough I am fully aware of the logic involved - it sucks when fighters are drained from cutting or whatever.. just a point .. but spose fighters are gettin so good these days that ya gotta remove that weight advantage as much as possible to really concentrate the fights so skill is the only seperation... in chimes the Brock Haters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Only seen two of his fights but you have to be impressed. He's the only (other) guy in strikeforce i'd like to see fighting in UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Only after realising now that I have seen him live in Ireland no less, awesome

Disappointed we wont see him in the UFC anytime soon, but Paulo Filho has thrown in his name, saying he wants a crack at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    Disappointed we wont see him in the UFC anytime soon, but Paulo Filho has thrown in his name, saying he wants a crack at him.

That would be a great fight considering the condition Filho is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

dudes just a beast, reminds me so much of fedor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Only after realising now that I have seen him live in Ireland no less, awesome

Paulo filho looked very poor in his defeat to Chael Sonnen, i would expect Gerard M to whoop on him badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Obviously Tones69 subscribes to the "only as good as your last fight" view in MMA except in this case ,it's your second last fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Filho lost to Sonnen while apparently suffering from some fairly serious substance abuse withdrawal symptoms. More recently, his first round armbar of Melvin Manhoef, was a little more impressive.

Filho lost to Sonnen while apparently suffering from some fairly serious substance abuse withdrawal symptoms. More recently, his first round armbar of Melvin Manhoef, was a little more impressive.

The only thing impressive about it was how he didn't get knocked out after so many head shots

Advertisement