Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mentality that you find hard to understand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I can't understand the mentality of people who say "Homosexuality is an illness" - People who think being gay can be 'cured' by taking some Hetero pills.

Given that there's no evidence or theory to support this claim, where do they get it from!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

And people who defend bad people ie rapists,murderers,paedos scumbags etc in terms of making excuses for them or defending their rights.

Then you wouldn't understand my mentality as I think there are certain rights you should never remove from people including rapists, murderers etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

In all honesty thanks for picking up the dog ****, if only everyone was like you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Then you wouldn't understand my mentality as I think there are certain rights you should never remove from people including rapists, murderers etc..

You're right. I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

I dont know why my mates give out to me for using pi$s jugs? Like its a fairly reasonable and common thing to do. I just dont understand why they would consider it outlandish. It gets to the point where I feel alienated. Once it go so bad I had to pi$s in an old coffee cup and throw it out the bedroom window so they wouldnt find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I just don't get the mentality that thinks it is ok to start hurling abuse at people. Along with the same line I don't get graffiti (not the artful kind) and vandalism. Surely there are people here who have acted this way at some point I am just wondering what is the pleasure in it?
    I haven't done it myself, but I've met them in various settings, think it's a combination of:
    Showing off in front of their friends. (where mad-lad antics are appreciated)
    Power tripping because they're in a group.
    Having a laugh at your expense.

I think most of this stuff is intended as straight-faced piss-taking, where if you call them on it, you'll get a "Ah sure I was only buzzin' off ye'".
    I don't think they really know/care that they're scaring someone half shítless, because they know what their intentions are... the problem is the recipient doesn't... there's little to differentiate a group of lads messing with you and a gang who might kick you to death.

You wouldn't get away with sending death threats to people for a quick chuckle, so I don't think this sort of intimidation should be taken lightly either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Verchiel

I can't understand the mentality of people who say "Homosexuality is an illness" - People who think being gay can be 'cured' by taking some Hetero pills.

Given that there's no evidence or theory to support this claim, where do they get it from!? :confused:

+1

Lord knows. Sexual and partner preferrence is a diverse beast that is all people. Just the way folk are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just overly opinionated people. Which seems to be 95% the population of this country. Even the young. Opinions are like assh*les, everyody has one :pac:

Just chill dudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I know it's too easy but: People who sponge of the welfare.

I had spoke to an ex collegue (she was let go in January) about two months ago. I asked her what she was up to and had she been successful in her job hunt.

Her response? "No! Sure why would I look for a job. It's great, theres loads of my mates off too and it's great craic just chilling all the time, going wherever you want whenever you want etc".

This lady is 31. I wanted to vomit all over her.

• Advertisement

You're right. I don't.

I'll keep it simple then the Birmingham 6 were torture as suspects of a crime they didn't commit then they were convicted murders after that. That is what you get when you remove the rights of people for their crimes.

If you brutalise prisons then people of lesser crimes will be brutalised while in prison such as is common place in the US.

The people who are actually brutalising murderers and rapists would have to be prison guards and walking the streets. Not too keen on having a masochists paid by the state walking the streets myself.

Finally I would simply say don't lower the state to what is the worst of human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So I was walking my dogs and as I do I picked up after my dog and had a bag containing said excrement. I am walking by 4 teenagers who start hurling abuse at me about having sh*t for dinner etc... Generally ignored them but one of them runs up and starts being really aggressive because I didn't engage their aggressive banter. I ignored him and went on but they followed me hurling abuse at me until I got to the shop and more people were about and they realised they couldn't get away with it.

I just don't get the mentality that thinks it is ok to start hurling abuse at people. Along with the same line I don't get graffiti (not the artful kind) and vandalism. Surely there are people here who have acted this way at some point I am just wondering what is the pleasure in it?

Before people start telling me all the things I should/could have done I just want to be clear I was in no position to fight 4 teenagers the same size as me while holding two dog leads with out risking the dogs or my own health.

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast!?

I'll keep it simple then the Birmingham 6 were torture as suspects of a crime they didn't commit then they were convicted murders after that. That is what you get when you remove the rights of people for their crimes.

If you brutalise prisons then people of lesser crimes will be brutalised while in prison such as is common place in the US.

The people who are actually brutalising murderers and rapists would have to be prison guards and walking the streets. Not too keen on having a masochists paid by the state walking the streets myself.

Finally I would simply say don't lower the state to what is the worst of human nature.

Unforunately when you don't make the prisons an unpleasant experience then the majority of people who are sent there that are guilty don't see it as a serious punishment and are unafraid to re-offend again.

That's why we have criminals running amok. They don't care if they are sent to prison. Prison is supposed to be a punishment for people who have commited crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Really nit-picky but I F'cking hate uber nationalist who have "IRA tattoos" whos first love is generally spending most of their time spewing ****e about a 32 county Ireland and talking about how class the Wolftones are and that all (I their words) British people are cunts and England is a hole.

This persons second love is English soccer and as they often say they would "DIE 4 MAN UTD/LIVERPOOL/ARSENAL/CITY" and with this insist on looking like every English person ever. Trackies, Soccer jersey,Reebok classics yadda yadda yadda

rant/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

So I was walking my dogs and as I do I picked up after my dog and had a bag containing said excrement. I am walking by 4 teenagers who start hurling abuse at me about having sh*t for dinner etc... Generally ignored them but one of them runs up and starts being really aggressive because I didn't engage their aggressive banter. I ignored him and went on but they followed me hurling abuse at me until I got to the shop and more people were about and they realised they couldn't get away with it.

Before people start telling me all the things I should/could have done I just want to be clear I was in no position to fight 4 teenagers the same size as me while holding two dog leads with out risking the dogs or my own health.
    Buy a gun and shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Racist people I just dont get. Why would you hate someone just because they're different then you. Racists are ****ing cowards too. You'd never see them going up to someone's face and saying what they think of them :mad :mad

Watch the film This Is England for an insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Really nit-picky but I F'cking hate uber nationalist who have "IRA tattoos" whos first love is generally spending most of their time spewing ****e about a 32 county Ireland and talking about how class the Wolftones are and that all (I their words) British people are cunts and England is a hole.

This persons second love is English soccer and as they often say they would "DIE 4 MAN UTD/LIVERPOOL/ARSENAL/CITY" and with this insist on looking like every English person ever. Trackies, Soccer jersey,Reebok classics yadda yadda yadda

rant/

How many English people have you met then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

brummytom wrote: »
    How many English people have you met then?

I retract my remark but you get the jist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My mother is an overly religious woman and has this mentality about illegitimate children and sex outside marriage. I believe she is so backward and out of touch with modern society. She is the sort of person who upon hearing of a pregnancy thinks immediately "oh how terrible" and how the people are somehow of a lower status and in her eyes low class people.

I am conservative and believe in god (non practising though) but I find her mentality on such a mainstream issue totally abhorrent. I love her to bits but sometimes I wonder was she raised in Victorian times.

Unforunately when you don't make the prisons an unpleasant experience then the majority of people who are sent there that are guilty don't see it as a serious punishment and are unafraid to re-offend again.

That's why we have criminals running amok. They don't care if they are sent to prison. Prison is supposed to be a punishment for people who have commited crimes.

So you approve of torture of suspects:eek: and then you further approve that such people should continue to be tortured within prison:eek:

All studies show punishment is not a deterrent but increased possibility of being caught is.

Prison in this country in not meant to be a punishment but rehabilitation.

You also seem to be skipping around the aspects of who is going to administrate this punishment and what they are going to be like.

If you let the prisons run themselves like in some poorer nations you end up with absolute horrific situations.

I don't think it would be just to send a rapist to ten years of being raped as I think nobody should be raped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOtz-eJlPE

If you really think human rights stop when you commit certain crimes I think you should read up on what that actually means in detail and read some accounts. "Banged up Abroad" on National Geographic can give you an idea. Maybe actually equate what crimes deserve the removal of which right. Do you think suspects should not have any rights either?

So you approve of torture of suspects:eek: and then you further approve that such people should continue to be tortured within prison:eek:

Where did i say torture suspects. I'm talking about convicted criminals who are guilty.

I don't think it's fair that a guy who murders or rapes someone destroying the lives of their victims and their families should enjoy what i a fairly cushy existence in prison.

These guys get to have phones,tvs etc in prison and with the lenient sentences handed out they have it fairly easy compared to the people whose lives they have ruined.

If you break the law you are punished that is how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The random abuse thing I find hard to understand or doing mean stuff just to be a d1ckwad. Also racism/homophobia/sexism.

Interestingly, I got to talking to a fella of the more scummy varitety in an old job who attempted to explain the mentality behind say, a gang of scumbags stealing your bike or slashing your tyres. It basically came down to , according to him "it's just really funny to them to imagine you trying to get home without a bike or a car. They think it's hilarious."

In other words, they're dumbfcuks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I like playing soccer. I was almost good at it for a while a couple of years back before I got lazy and stopped playing.

I honestly can't comprehend the appeal of following it. I can understand why it's entertaining to watch a game on TV, but I don't get how people keep up with all the signings, rumours, up-and-coming players, statements and results so religiously. It reminds me of a soap opera, the way people gossip about it. Baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Latchy wrote: »
    What do you suggest , stick a plug up the dogs ass ?

You should've got the dogs to do their poo at Paul's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

hallelujah wrote: »
    Watch the film This Is England for an insight.
    Worst film ever.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I like playing soccer. I was almost good at it for a while a couple of years back before I got lazy and stopped playing.

I honestly can't comprehend the appeal of following it. I can understand why it's entertaining to watch a game on TV, but I don't get how people keep up with all the signings, rumours, up-and-coming players, statements and results so religiously. It reminds me of a soap opera, the way people gossip about it. Baffles me.
    On that note.

I don't understand Irish people who claim to love football, but don't know a thing about our own league.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't understand the mindset of those insufficient people who profess 'national pride'. Such a simple notion touted by simple folk who crave to 'belong'. Mucksavages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Where did i say torture suspects. I'm talking about convicted criminals who are guilty.

I don't think it's fair that a guy who murders or rapes someone destroying the lives of their victims and their families should enjoy what i a fairly cushy existence in prison.

These guys get to have phones,tvs etc in prison and with the lenient sentences handed out they have it fairly easy compared to the people whose lives they have ruined.

Have you been inside many prison's? My work takes into to most of the Dublin ones. Mountjoy is a hole and should be closed. Most people who are detained do not have the type of detainment that you hear about with some of the "big boys" get and you may read about. However,. that is a different issue.

Someone on protection in the basement [not sex offenders] are on 23 hour lock-up with up to 5 in a cell and I can tell you they don't have TV's. May be you have more experience inside them than me and formed this opinion.

I'm all for you do the crime..., but rehabilitation in prisons in Ireland is next to non-existent.

You ignored the Birmingham 6 example I gave thus condoning torture of suspects. I asked where you would draw the line and you have no comment.

You are also ignoring the other points I made about how brutalisation works.
    I understand what you are saying about fair punishment but you seem to be again ignoring what I said about what is fair to lesser criminals who would have to share their lives with such brutality.

So I'll put it in point form so you can't ignore what I am saying and I'll add some more too

1) Who are you going to get to administrate the punishment?
    2) What about the people who committed lesser crimes in with such a brutal regime?
    3) Do you think it is fair to sentence somebody who committed one count of rape to be then raped consistently for their sentence?
    4) What do you think somebody is going to be like once they get out of prison after such a brutal sentence?
    5) Do you think somebody should be given or be put at risk of contracting HIV/aids as part of their punishment?
    6) Can you come up with a table of which human rights should be removed for which crimes?
    7) What about woman who murder abusive partners?
    8) Certain suspects will be pretty much definitely committed the crime in the eyes of police so should they start the brutalisation there?

I'll leave it at that. I get you think criminals are having an easy time all I am asking is if you are so set on what you consider to be fair you should tease it out to conclusion. You might not agree with me which is fine but you should be able to see where my mentality is on the subject basically it is human rights are basic rights that should never be removed.

I get your mentality but I think you haven't thought about what it would actually mean. There are 8 points there and if you can actually justify them I might not agree but at least I'll understand you have really thought about it thus far you ignored the difficult issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

This,and homophobia in general. Really boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the mentality of socilists or the hard left , i cant get my head around the notion that someone who never worked a day in thier life is ( and thier kids ) every bit as entitled to all the finer things and luxurys in life that someone who gets up at 6.30 every morning and puts in over 70 hours a week in thier own business , gets nothing off the state , employs others and pays tax , while the later is branded as a greedy capitalist , the former is OFFICIALLY VULNERABLE and bears no responsibility for anything that is wrong with thier life and i include commiting crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Do you what mentality really grinds my gears (from reading today's indo), the one which says that the deaths of middle class educated people is some how more abhorent than that of uneducated, poor people. I'm sickened by the fact that someone's social status will dictate their epitaph in some manner, and that if you're not middle class, educated etc... you will be forgotten, cast aside etc... Bertrand Russell put it better:
    "In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors, since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors, for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal applies only upwards, not downwards."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

People who have no desire to work, different if they can't but when they don't want to...baffles me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People who have no desire to work, different if they can't but when they don't want to...baffles me!

How can you not understand that mentality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I don't understand the mindset of those insufficient people who profess 'national pride'. Such a simple notion touted by simple folk who crave to 'belong'. Mucksavages
    which reminds me of this quote '' Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

- Oscar Wilde

Probably.:P

Samuel Johnson's most famous quotation

Oscar stole it from him but doesn't everybody ? :p

El Siglo wrote: »
    Do you what mentality really grinds my gears (from reading today's indo), the one which says that the deaths of middle class educated people is some how more abhorent than that of uneducated, poor people. I'm sickened by the fact that someone's social status will dictate their epitaph in some manner, and that if you're not middle class, educated etc... you will be forgotten, cast aside etc... Bertrand Russell put it better:
    "In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors, since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors, for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal applies only upwards, not downwards."

more attention is given to famous people when they die , its not really a question of which class they came from , george best came from a working class backround as did jade goodie , the wealthiest man in my parish died in the past year , heard no mention of it on the news or the papers other than the death notices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

irish_bob wrote: »
    more attention is given to famous people when they die , its not really a question of which class they came from , george best came from a working class backround as did jade goodie , the wealthiest man in my parish died in the past year , heard no mention of it on the news or the papers other than the death notices

I'm not even talking about the 'famous' people as you've mentioned (George Best by the way is Jesus!), just people because of their social standing, whenever bad or good stuff happens they get more air time. Read the Sunday Independent, they're is always an article on some d4 twat who had breast cancer and has gotten over it and is now living life to the full. You never hear of the, 45 year old granny, left school at 14 and had to deal with the same said condition as a public patient. I think this country is obsessed with class, we're as bad as India with the caste system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I can't understand the mentality of young scumbags who throw heavy objects off of overpasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

people in general baffle me!

Yes specialy some boards people but that's same for everyone and to be expected I suppose

thiers nout as queer as folk

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'm not even talking about the 'famous' people as you've mentioned (George Best by the way is Jesus!), just people because of their social standing, whenever bad or good stuff happens they get more air time. Read the Sunday Independent, they're is always an article on some d4 twat who had breast cancer and has gotten over it and is now living life to the full. You never hear of the, 45 year old granny, left school at 14 and had to deal with the same said condition as a public patient. I think this country is obsessed with class, we're as bad as India with the caste system.

i think its all in your head to be honest , those people in the sindo are usually socilites who are lower than a snakes ankle socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I have to commend you for ignoring those stupid thugs who were hurling abuse at you. Even when one got right up in your face and started being really aggressive you never gave in because you probably knew that was what they would have wanted. They were just bored I'm sure, and since you were on your own and they were in a group they decided it would be great to make fun of someone who was civilised and actually obeyed the laws. That and they were probably trying to impress each other. To see who was the bigger man!:mad:
    Of course as soon as you were around other people they got scared in case they got in trouble and legged it.
    The sad thing is, sometimes these people come for aggressive and abuse homes and that's all they know and so they hang around with people in the same situation, which only makes it worse.:( And their parents either don't care or cannot do much about it.

For me, firstly, it's people who let their dogs go to the 'bathroom' where ever they are and don't pick it up even if there are other people around them. Secondly spitting I think it disgusting! Finally, mindless vandalism which costs the country every year and which the tax payer has to pay for! It's ridiculous!

You ignored the Birmingham 6 example I gave thus condoning torture of suspects. I asked where you would draw the line and you have no comment.

You are also ignoring the other points I made about how brutalisation works.
    I understand what you are saying about fair punishment but you seem to be again ignoring what I said about what is fair to lesser criminals who would have to share their lives with such brutality.

So I'll put it in point form so you can't ignore what I am saying and I'll add some more too

1) Who are you going to get to administrate the punishment?
    2) What about the people who committed lesser crimes in with such a brutal regime?
    3) Do you think it is fair to sentence somebody who committed one count of rape to be then raped consistently for their sentence?
    4) What do you think somebody is going to be like once they get out of prison after such a brutal sentence?
    5) Do you think somebody should be given or be put at risk of contracting HIV/aids as part of their punishment?
    6) Can you come up with a table of which human rights should be removed for which crimes?
    7) What about woman who murder abusive partners?
    8) Certain suspects will be pretty much definitely committed the crime in the eyes of police so should they start the brutalisation there?

I'll leave it at that. I get you think criminals are having an easy time all I am asking is if you are so set on what you consider to be fair you should tease it out to conclusion. You might not agree with me which is fine but you should be able to see where my mentality is on the subject basically it is human rights are basic rights that should never be removed.

I get your mentality but I think you haven't thought about what it would actually mean. There are 8 points there and if you can actually justify them I might not agree but at least I'll understand you have really thought about it thus far you ignored the difficult issues.

I'm going to clarify what i mean because i think there's a misunderstanding. I'm not calling for prisoners to be punished in terms of being raped or beaten constantly.

I'm talking about punishment in terms of them receiving only basic meals, only getting an hour outside a day, speding most of the day locked in their cells, having very few personal items in their cell and doing work without getting paid .And for more serious criminals no visitors, less time outside, two meals a day etc.

I never once said they should be constantly tortured. I also said convicted criminals should be punished in the ways i mentioned above, i did'nt say suspects like the birmingham six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I hope you never win the lotto. People that live to work is one I really don't get. Sorry. The minute I can afford to stop working I'll simultaneously cry with happiness, do a jig and have a tug while singing "I am the champions". :D

I can't stand people that use the racism card when you try and discuss immigration or the "I hope you don't loose your job and end up on the streets" when discussing social welfare.
    I can't stand the RIP freaks who turn everyone (famous anyway) into an untouchable saint the minute they die.
    Last and my big time favourite, people with a great sense of humour until something strikes too close to home. People have told jokes that have hit close to home with me and I simply take a breath, realise that it's a joke and 99.999% of the time I'd laugh my head off and leave them too it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm talking about punishment in terms of them receiving only basic meals, only getting an hour outside a day, speding most of the day locked in their cells, having very few personal items in their cell and doing work without getting paid .And for more serious criminals no visitors, less time outside, two meals a day etc.

I see your point, a prison sentense is meant to be a punishment. 23 hour lock up in an cell, a tad harsh no?

Prison is supposed to also rehabilitate or would you disagree? Yes we have constant re-offenders, but just punishing isn't going to stop that. No vistors that really sounds harsh to me, as I said in an other post, most prisons do not correspond to the image the media gives.

Seriously M/joy is a hole even as a professional vistor [I am give a private room for my consult] I hate having to go there. Most of the people I see there, should be locked up for their offenses, so please don't think I'm some soft liberal. However, without rehab those who move on to a better life after, are more unlikely to so.

Human rights come into it, people are entitled to basic rights, proper food, treated with some dignity. Lock people up with no social interaction and no education and what you have coming out will be worst than what goes in.

At the end of the day, we seek to punish through prison, but we must also aim to reduce the possibility of re-offending at the same time, if you get my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

ScumLord wrote: »
    But you had a bag of poo, it's one step down from having a sword.
    No this is one step down from having a sword

Odysseus wrote: »
    I see your point, a prison sentense is meant to be a punishment. 23 hour lock up in an cell, a tad harsh no?

Prison is supposed to also rehabilitate or would you disagree? Yes we have constant re-offenders, but just punishing isn't going to stop that. No vistors that really sounds harsh to me, as I said in an other post, most prisons do not correspond to the image the media gives.

Seriously M/joy is a hole even as a professional vistor [I am give a private room for my consult] I hate having to go there. Most of the people I see there, should be locked up for their offenses, so please don't think I'm some soft liberal. However, without rehab those who move on to a better life after, are more unlikely to so.

Human rights come into it, people are entitled to basic rights, proper food, treated with some dignity. Lock people up with no social interaction and no education and what you have coming out will be worst than what goes in.

At the end of the day, we seek to punish through prison, but we must also aim to reduce the possibility of re-offending at the same time, if you get my point.

I see your point. Obviously it would be better if we could rehabilitate them all but some are beyond that.

As for human rights the criminals who have murdered, raped or assaulted other people have shown no respect for the human rights of their victims. If they are punished enough they may think twice before doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 goosey gander

Odysseus wrote: »

23 hours lock down,too harsh??? I dont think their victims would think so!

I can assume you have NEVER been the victim of a crime cause i doubt if you were, you would have such a strong opinion on upholding the human rights of criminals!

And what about the dignity of their victims , the people they made suffer, the family of murder victims???

As it is the Irish prison system is failing at rehabilitating criminals so at least if prison was harsh people would think twice about going back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement