Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warranties if a company goes bust?

• 21-08-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Just wondering about this one for the timber frame company we're thinking of going with - they're only in business a couple of years so we're a bit nervous. If they were to go bust are any of their guarantees worth anything?? while the build is going on all payments would be made through solicitors but what about after, if anything goes wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

their guarantees are worth very little.. a mate of mine lost a fair chunk of money with a company that was to build a timber frame house for him.. they took his deposit, made a hole in his site that was supposed to somehow be foundations, and have now gone under.. There seems to be no way back... The paying of a deposit before any work being done seems to have been at the heart of the problem.. just be very careful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Just wondering about this one for the timber frame company we're thinking of going with - they're only in business a couple of years so we're a bit nervous. If they were to go bust are any of their guarantees worth anything?? while the build is going on all payments would be made through solicitors but what about after, if anything goes wrong??

You could try and get a personal guarantee, so that the MD / Engineer would take personal responsibility if anything happens to the company. I had a few similar contracts drawn up by my Solicitor (Not for timber frame). Granted the guys were very confident they would not go bust and had no problem giving personal guarantee, although we did put in a stipulation that it would not financially put him under any personal strain if the company was to go bust and the system didn't work.

So if anything goes wrong within 2 years he will personally be responsible to try and fix the issues. Touch wood that I'll never have to go down that route, but it made the purchase a little easier.

Advertisement